Scotland

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Okay my name is Hunter and i am from Scotland, i love Scotland it is honestly my favourite place in the universe(and no i havent been to uranus).Scotland has everything history, beautiful countryside and where else could you say you have tried a deep fried mars bar! the only thing that annoys me about Scotland is that sometimes it is so damn cold, i mean yeah for the last wee while the weather has been no bad but come on they say global warming is warming up the earth well come on some of it is bound to affect Scotland so i wish it would hurry up! Oh and another thing that annoys me that is related to Scotland is that we are supposedly all haggis munching ginger haired bag pipe players who always wear kilts and we all live on the same street, LOL i really cant believe people can be so stupid yknow! lol

I suppose people have sort of got us right when they say we are loud because lets face it, if there was a world cup for supporters of a football(soccer) team come on the scots deserve it
(mainly cos we wont win anything else lol). I am also ashamed to say we have some of the fattest kids in the world in Scotland and it isnt a laughing matter, but i suppose we did invent the deep fried mars bar so i suppose what else could you expect

But besides all that i LOVE Scotland i could never live anywhere else i just wish it would get a bit hotter.

thats better good to get that off ma chest, cheers fell free to reply thank you

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hunter 825
Okay my name is Hunter and i am from Scotland, i love Scotland it is honestly my favourite place in the universe(and no i havent been to uranus).Scotland has everything history, beautiful countryside and where else could you say you have tried a deep fried mars bar! the only thing that annoys me about Scotland is that sometimes it is so damn cold, i mean yeah for the last wee while the weather has been no bad but come on they say global warming is warming up the earth well come on some of it is bound to affect Scotland so i wish it would hurry up! Oh and another thing that annoys me that is related to Scotland is that we are supposedly all haggis munching ginger haired bag pipe players who always wear kilts and we all live on the same street, LOL i really cant believe people can be so stupid yknow! lol

I suppose people have sort of got us right when they say we are loud because lets face it, if there was a world cup for supporters of a football(soccer) team come on the scots deserve it
(mainly cos we wont win anything else lol). I am also ashamed to say we have some of the fattest kids in the world in Scotland and it isnt a laughing matter, but i suppose we did invent the deep fried mars bar so i suppose what else could you expect

But besides all that i LOVE Scotland i could never live anywhere else i just wish it would get a bit hotter.

thats better good to get that off ma chest, cheers fell free to reply thank you

you speak the truth !

i dont mind the cold but iv got a wet suit or 2 so im probably biased.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 09:12 AM
link   
what i thinks cool about Scotland is the fact it has kept it's history and heritage.... sadly the politicians hate English history and heritage, stupid anti-English people

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I have never been to Scotland- but it does look like a beautiful place- wet and cold but beautiful.

Wet and cold i can handle lol- im half welsh and used to live in wales ( although i have lost my accent- i can still put it on lol)
Wales is a beautiful place.

I got told the other day that i also have abit of scotish and irish in me aswell as english and welsh lol

I also like the fact that scotland is into its history- i love history. But i also think England is keen on History and its History as well.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
We have relatives in Scotland, many people here long to be in scotland with their families.
I know that you would never have a boring time in a bar with a scot.

I know much about scotland, i'm a campbell sept, my mother was/is, my husband is a graham, his father was from there, all our family is there and boy are they sweethearts...

The life there is simple, giving, charming, enchanting, loving, and fun...

Beautiful people, beautiful minds, beautiful landscapes, and a very vivid history.

I know you don't all wear kilts and live on the same street. maybe along long time ago, and that mars bar is quite odd sounding, does it taste good?

I m afraid of haggis although I think i've had it before, not sure.. Some of the food there isn't what I would eat, but when your acustomed to something it becomes normal for you.

Anyway, glad your on the board, scots really know how to liven things up..
We're taking a trip there in two years, I can't wait!!

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
what i thinks cool about Scotland is the fact it has kept it's history and heritage.... sadly the politicians hate English history and heritage, stupid anti-English people

And the same goes for anti-scottish people.
I was a cab driver back when I was 18 and this english guy was talking to me, I asked him if he was irish then scottish and he got flaming pissed.
He cursed out the scots and the irish...
He was truly an odd ball.......

It goes both ways... I can understand the scots being pissed the the british old rulers, coming in a trying to tell people how it's going to be when it's not their stomping ground to begin with. who the hell do those aholes think they were? royalty? sure , that still doesn't give them the right...

People were raped and brutally murdered because of them. If you didn't conform you were out of the ball park so to speak. Not cool... Definitely not cool... God damn longshanks...

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I would like to go to Scotland to see my roots, my family (McGregors) came over in 1625, well we were kinda chased over to be honest, they had a bounty on our heads, I would love to see the clans castles and lands.

From what I have read we didnt play very nice and wound up over here.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
From what I have read we didnt play very nice and wound up over here.

Neither did the campbell's.. They were once good men, people were scared of them, and then they just turned out to be dirty fighters and cheap fighters...
There were different clan campbell's and my grandpa told me people were afraid of his family, I hope it wasn't the dirty campbell's... that would suck...

That's like bin laden's family not wanting to admit their related to him...

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   
If my history is correct it was a battle with the campbells that ultamitly led to us being here

Dirty Campbell

Just kidding

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   
The Campbells were bastards.
So were the Frasers.

The only reason their clan is so big is because of the mongrel blood entwined, you see, when a Campbell captured a member of another clan they would be given the choice of death or joining the campbells. Many chose the Campbells and were treated well in order to expand the clan.

Let me tell you this, there are VERY VERY few real "clan members" left, its something we do to reel in the tourists year after year and you fall for it monumentally, it's also a great fundraiser for the national heritage sites around Scotland, they're peddled off as "clan castles" and the fat texan oil donors --whose great great grandmomma's once had a stopoff in Scotchland-- get the chequebooks out and donate millions of 's worth to the restoration.

People forget that we Scot's are true innovators and are thrifty with the cash.

Consider yourselves fleeced by the grandest scottish con of all time.

Donations made payable to The National Trust, Scotland

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   

If my history is correct it was a battle with the campbells that ultamitly led to us being here

Dirty Campbell

Just kidding

That was you guys?? omygosh! I have a book I can pull it out, and it does speak of the mc somethings, I thought maybe it was the mcgregor's..

I'll double check... I'm sorry for my families wrong doing, they got you guys murdered and if I remember correctly didn't they pin you guys against another clan while they just sat back and watched you guys get killed?
Over rent or something really stupid..
anway i'm sorry!!

Damn relatives...

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I got it here:

The macgregors are outlawd:

in 1603 the campbell cheif saw a way to finish off the macgregors forever by encouraging a quarrel between the macgregors and the colquhouns of luss, a 300 strong macgregor force met 700 colquhouns at glenfruin, splitting their force, the macgregors attacked from two sides, slaughtering 140 colquhouns.

james vI about to leave for england to unite the two crowns was furious at this bloodthirsty display of disunity and before leaving scotland he had the privy council outlaw the macgregor's. The macgregor chief surrendered to argyll in return for a promise of safe conduct to england, where he intended to plead his clan's case. To keep his promise, argyll took macgregor as far as berwick, then brought him back to edinburgh for execution.

Why did this happen?

James IV issued many of the chief "sheepskin" grants, a royal parchment deed emphassising that their properties were held directly from the crown, this attempt to reinforce feudalism was used to advantage by campbell of argyll, who also held a lease to several properties formerly held by the lords of the isles.
Terrirotially acquisitive, the campbells set out completely dominating the adjacent land.
The macgregors held land in argyllshire and perthsire on the clan principale, and the campbells began to demand rent from them.As their lands were seized the spirit of the macgregor clansmen was broken, while their chief became a mere tenant of campbell of glenorchy. When in 1570 the 10th macgregor chief attempted to resist campbell, he was captured and beheaded...

Dude, i'm sorry man...

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I dont remember what it was over but I think it wound up with our clan being put "to fire and sword" and pretty much hunted down like animals by the other Clans.

You dont need to apoligise any more than whites man today need to apoligise for slavery.

Unless you are pretty damned old I doubt it was your fault

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Do you actually know if you're even closely related to any of those people?

The immigration to america started around the 1600's, right? Well most of the battles took place between 1000AD and 1300Ad, thats 300-400 years of lineage and many records are lost.

So, unless you know 100% that your bloodline is tied right into the clan then your arguments are pretty much pointless. Oh, and having the same second name means nothing.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling

So, unless you know 100% that your bloodline is tied right into the clan then your arguments are pretty much pointless. Oh, and having the same second name means nothing.

Yes it has been traced back to the clans, in my case Richard McGregor and a brother came over in 1625 on the ship Temperence. My Daughter has the info on it before then, going back to about 1200 or so in a stright line and a couple hundred years more that is likely but unproven and probebly unprovable

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Well my mother and uncle are campbell's my grandpa was a campbell and knows much about the campbell's, they came over from scotland in the 1800s my great grandfather told him stories about the clan, much of it was forgotten about, my mom didn't really care too much for it, we have family tree's tracing back all the way to 1400 something. I don't have one but my mom's uncle has one.
We have reunions every so often and the tree is whipped out...

My great grandfather says that they were given a bunch of land in northern ireland for fighting beside the king.

It's nice that you would like to make it known that we aren't related and what not nerdling, but we're related to them, i have no doubt that people try and con people all the time. I'm aware of the organizations out there, but if you can trace your heritage back far enough the proof is in the bloodline..
Thanks for your commentaries, they've been duly noted.....

Amuk,

I know it was a long time ago, we didn't have anything do with it, it just makes me feel better to say something they never got to because they were barbaric and very primitive..
Weird how things get found out...

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   
The Clan business really is a con guys. Seriously, any Scot with decent historical knowledge will tell you that. It all broke down at several states, the three main ones were the middle ages, the renaissance and the industrial revolution. This is when many emigrated to Scotland and out of Scotland and to blend in they changed their names. They had no papers so it was all Kosher back then, you could easily change a name such as "Smith" to "McGregor" to blend in with the local communities.

The Industrial Revolution was a great diluter in terms of the clans, the massive population exodus into the cities completely destroyed the farm way of life.

The clans are dead. It is nothing but names and bloodlines.

And if you think I sound bitter or stuff, i'm not, I can trace my own family lineage back 1400 years, we were one of the first clans to settle in the south of Scotland and we're directly descended from a viking sect too meaning i can use my "clan name" or my "viking name" when it comes down to the crunch at the highland games

It's just history guys. An immensely profitable piece too.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies

I'm aware of the organizations out there, but if you can trace your heritage back far enough the proof is in the bloodline..

In my case it was real easy we have birth records back to 1100-1200 and a real good idea going back to around 900 and a general idea back futher back than that pretty much back to the pictish tribes but everything past about 1200 is unproven. My daughter has all the details and I would be happy to bore everyone with them if they want.

It never meant a lot to me I am an American born and breed and I dont get drunk enough to wear a dress, I mean kilt.

What is even more proof is we STILL make our Whiskey

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   

The Clan business really is a con guys. Seriously, any Scot with decent historical knowledge will tell you that.

It's just history guys. An immensely profitable piece too.

Thats all it is to me, I really dont think about it unless I am drunk watching "Braveheart"......LOL

My Daughter likes it though she can tell you our fathers fathers back about a thousand years and has the coat of arms and such.

I really dont see any harm in it if it makes her happy

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Thats all it is to me, I really dont think about it unless I am drunk watching "Braveheart"......LOL

I hate to break it to you man...but Braveheart is not historically accurate at all

top topics

<<   2 >>

join