It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

KEL-TEC RFB Rifle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I seen this rifle at a gun show last year and thought it was not a good idea my self. The spent brass ejects from the front and that is not right if you ask me. First off the brass falls right at your feet and having to walk on that is just asking to fall. Second thing is not all the spent brass leaves the weapon. It can hold spent brass in the ejection tube to fall out later and that would be just great at giving away your location. I would like to hear what your think about it.

KEL-TEC RFB Rifle video

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Sure makes clean up easy.

I can see what you mean by holding brass but I dont think it would much of an issue.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
personally I hate the forward eject, wouldn't be able to get past that....

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
OMG. Did you see the recoil on that POS!!!

Get a freeking AR15, that thing is JUNK!

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
For $1,500.00 you could buy 2 AK-47's or a tricked out AR15. I don't see the issue with the forward ejection of the shell casings. You could hang a bag there to collect the spent brass.
I have no issues with Keltec, I own 2 pistols and have never had any problems with them. While they have a few rough edges they function perfectly. If you just HAVE to get a bullpup design this looks pretty good and is probably less expensive than other bp designs.
I would want this in .308 rather than .223, that extra bullet weight means extra penetration whether it's body armor or car doors. Not a bad choice at all IMO.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
My fav kel-tec so far

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by infolurker

Please re-read the video description, because it renders your comment obsolete.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
looks strong and adequate; the casings wouldnt be an issue and would add to the flavor of the weapon

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Nifty firearm. I'm surprised they don't sell a brass catcher add on. Solves all problems discussed here.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Hahahaha, oh wow. I should expect comments like this given that this is ATS, but still. Not every rifle shoots 5.56. More powerful rounds have more recoil.

Still, the rifle's strange construction of using the barrel as a kind of "spine" to the weapon sort of weirds me out.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

It's a .308. In a really tight package.

It is going to kick way more than an ar-15.... Kick a lot more ass that is.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Something else of note would be that the Kel-Tec RFB was designed to be a bullpup that left handers could shoot, so that was the reason behind the forward ejection.

Also, the F2000 seems to get by fine with forward ejection, so I don't see a problem.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I've heard of "downwards" ejection being in the works but never seen forwards quite like that. Honestly I think it is a good idea from a tactical perspective assuming it is tested and passes in harsh conditions.

If the shell ejects to a side it provides an additional way to trace where you are firing from. That is why downwards and forwards ejected are new trends from what I've heard.

.308 bullpup has a big punch, could be useful if you are ever attacked by 20 bears simultaneously
. I personally prefer .308 over .223 for my rifles so I do think a bullpup .308 is a great idea. The gun does appear to be a bit light for a .308 in all honesty which is probably why its recoil is so exaggerated.

Now I will criticize the magazine. Notice that they position in front of the well and then "slide" it back into the well. That is weird could be a major point of malfunction.

[edit on 8-2-2010 by SonOfChaos]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfChaos
I've heard of "downwards" ejection being in the works

Downwards ejection has been around since the 80s? or so, in the FN P90, one of the most famous in the world, and its not a problem.

Originally posted by fixer1967
The spent brass ejects from the front and that is not right if you ask me. First off the brass falls right at your feet and having to walk on that is just asking to fall.

Also remember that you are not walking forward 90% of the time while firing.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfChaos

Downward ejection only really works on rifles that load their magazines in from the top, which is usually pretty strange. The P-90 and it's civilian version are the only ones I know of that do that nowadays (well, I suppose the venerable Ithica model 37 does too).

Downward and forward ejection are being developed pretty much just so that bullpup rifles can be fully ambidextrous at all times. Nobody likes a face full of hot brass.

Incidentally, forward-ejecting bullpup rifles have been around since the early 60s or so, in prototype form, especially in Russia. None of them really caught on, though. Today's batch seems better posed to see some commercial success.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
That is the strangest eject pattern I've ever seen, but I can see the benefits especially at the training range (been beaten senseless by plenty of hot brass from AKs with erratic eject patterns) with others around you. Kind of refreshing to see companies making more .308 offerings as opposed to .223, competition is always good.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
forward and downward eject are a blessing and a half for us Lefties! And for everyone else really in a combat situation.

Interesting side note but it applies to the whole ejections argument: German troops in WW2 would listen for the PING sound of the garand clip ejecting and bouncing off of something at which point they'd pop up to fire while the GI was reloading. In modern context forward or downward eject is much less likelly to go flying through the air giving away your position visually or with the sound of them bouncing on the ground.

As far as the anti bullpup crowd... I don't know what to tell you guys. Every year armor technology gets better and armor is more widely distributed. The M4 carbine with it's 14.5" barrel doesn't produce enough velocity at the muzzle to make the round it fires ballistically effective. Now on the other hand you have this keltec RFB that with a 16 inch barrel is 24 inches long... (substantially shorter than an m4 with the 6 position fully collapsed and therefore not in fully combat optimum configuration) Which would you rather have? a rifle that looks like what you're used to that's compact enough to do what you want it to do but mighht or might not take down even an unarmored opponent at point blank range on the first shot, OR would you rather a rifle that is more compact than a subcarbine with a full length barrel giving you full muzzle velocity from the round oh and as a bonus not firing out a 4 foot tongue of flame and a wall of noise that gives away your position?

We are going to hit a point in the next decade where we will have to arm every trooper with a Battle Rifle class round or even heavier round just to punch through the standard armor worn by enemy combatants.

And that isn't even taking into account the fact that every year there will be more and more unmanned combat vehicles of various types that our infantry and even truck drivers and rear echelon support personnel could have to take down as quickly as possible on a moments notice. These bitty bots are very very easy to make all but their sensory and locomotion portions proof against 5.56 rounds.

All of this leaves us in a position where No matter what the pentagon and individual soldiers WANT we're going to NEED to issue enmasse a weapon to more or less every individual in a combat zone that will need every inch of a 20 inch or more barrel to gain the velocity it needs to penetrate the threats our troops will face on a more and more regular basis.

And this is one thing people don't really think about is other country's are making unmanned ground vehicles etc and quite soon we could be seeing massed waves of Goped sized fast well armored and lightly armed rear area marauders pop up to harrass and disrupt our logistics C3i maintenance and facilities people.

The future is going to be an ugly mean nasty place and personally I'll take any edge I can get... being able to pack a 24 inch barrel sniper grade .308 nato weapon that's under 3 feet long... that's not just an advantage that's an ace in the hole.

join