It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US using earthquake to push policies in Haiti?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
www.democracynow.org...

As Naomi Klein points out here, the government is at it again. I was watching Colin Powell last night talk about how we were going to be there for years to clean up. I know there is a lot of damage and they are economically hurt, but will the US abuse this?

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Well, Rahm Emanuel did say "never let a good crisis go to waste." Just the US making good on that statement. Wonder if Haiti will become a territory or the 51st state.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Though it is possible for a nation to capitalize on such a vulnerable situation, we have to hope that such will not happen. What does pessimistic thought accomplish; Fear, Loathing, Hatred, General Distrust, such is not needed in tragic disasters. We have to give as much as we can and hope that the situation is handled out of pure empathy. We have to believe that the powerful nations of the world are there to assist the Haitian state and to assuage the effects of the tragic situation. Let us believe in good. Let us believe that the people shall be assisted with the aid that we provide.

Let us believe in good.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
of course they are. I'd be disappointed if they weren't. next stop Cuba!

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I dont know, Puerto Rico is a mess with extreme high crimes and its under US Jurisdiction.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SeeingBlue

Theories such as you've voiced have been on my mind from the outset

And now the 'disaster excitement' has peaked and people are thinking with their brains rather than surfing their emotions, it's likely more and more are going to be speculating along the same lines as you've expressed

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Dock,

I see what you meant now,

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Abuse what? Haiti only economy is just a fraction of what any US state have, 7 billion dollars is peanuts, mostly on clothing and farming and US is the biggest and perhaps only buyer.

So what any other interest can the US possibly have in Haiti, they have no oil not really any natural resources they are the poorest country in this site of the world, and beside this to become a burden on the US tax payer I don't see anything else.

Sorry but I don't see any abuse at all.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

My Island of PR had the worst drug trafficking in the Caribbean, most police is corrupted and we are inundated with immigrants from Haiti and Dominican Republic.

And health care is free for all of them, PR is attractive to immigrants because it opens the door to the US.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Marge, i read in another thread that Haiti has GOLD. I dont know if its true or not but that would be a little suspicious!

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
It was haarp all the way now we walk in to give aid and of course never leave.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

All the Caribbean Island used to have gold during the Spanish colonization times, but it was superficial mostly in the rivers, we have a historical site in El Yunque that points to the site where most of the gold were extracted.

Now taking into consideration that the Caribbean are the top of mountains I will not be surprise if is under water and subterranean caves with natural resources.

But so far I never knew about any findings.

[edit on 15-1-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Well one thing that comes to mind is the American corporation using this to exploit those people and us.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Where are all of the people yelling at corporations for spending money on helping Haiti, $40 million total so far from corporate America and not a single peep from Washington. Wall Street is cheering because this is the perfect distraction for the people because, A. People will be happier with them because they are giving an astounding $40 million to help the poor and helpless so that's a good jump in approval of Wall Street, B. Keep Washington and the people distracted from their huge bonuses. So I guess they are willing to give a little to reciece ALOT.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I can understand anyone who would think that this whole save Haiti is nothing but a political use of a trajedy that politicians will milk until the cow dies. I think it and I am not ashamed to admit it. It's a shame the extent some will go for just another means of being in the middle of all the donations and giving contracts for rebuilding to the select but without money and greed, these guys dont function well.

The only thing we havent seen Obama do at least not this week is for Obama to come out one day in a military uniform like Hugo Chavez and begin slapping the podium with a chrome machette. However it would not surprise me for Obama to come out one day and state that to fix the economy and the climate that we must sacrafice a virgin and cut her heart out to appease the gods. Anyway, I sure you get the picture, I just think we are subject to seeing anything with the current circus in town because from what I can tell, there is no shortage of clowns what so ever.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Abuse what? Haiti only economy is just a fraction of what any US state have, 7 billion dollars is peanuts, mostly on clothing and farming and US is the biggest and perhaps only buyer.

So what any other interest can the US possibly have in Haiti, they have no oil not really any natural resources they are the poorest country in this site of the world, and beside this to become a burden on the US tax payer I don't see anything else.

Sorry but I don't see any abuse at all.

Of course the establishment will use & abuse this to their advantage... they see disaster as opportunity. haiti separates cuba from another thorn in the empires side: Venezuela... I'm sure they'll find a use for it. A bigger better GITMO, or they could move israel there!! its not like they're above taking land from the natives and giving it away.. lol

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I stumbled across this...I thought you guys would find it interesting.....

www.projectcensored.org...

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by GovtFlu

Now that you mention Venezuela, has they pledge anything?because Cuba had already doctors on the ground attending to victims.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
The US has had a long standing interest in Haiti. On July 28th of 1915 President Woodrow Wilson dispatched marines to the country to protect "America and foreign interests" after a long period of political unrest. In 2004 George Bush would order 2,000 marines to the country in the wake of the exiling of President Jean-Bertrand Aristide.

In the 1960s the CIA had plans to stage a Bay of Pigs type of invasion to overthrow the dictator, François Duvalier. According to a CIA contract agent Herbert Atkin, the CIA' man in the country was a petroleum geologist named George de Mohrenschildt, which should be of immediate interest to any conspiracy theorist out there...

top topics

join