It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FCC looks at ways to assert authority over Web access

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   

FCC looks at ways to assert authority over Web access

www.washingtonpost.com

The Federal Communications Commission is considering aggressive moves to stake out its authority to oversee consumer access to the Internet, as a recent court hearing and industry opposition have cast doubt on its power over Web service providers.

"This is a pivotal moment," said Ben Scott, director of policy at the public interest group Free Press. The government wants to treat broadband Internet as a national infrastructure, he said, like phone lines or the broadcast spectrum
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Here is yet ANOTHER example of how this administration is looking to consume the entire society with Government. This is a very slippery slop as it will ultimately lead to government control over free expression.

Be very wary when the government begins to consider something critical infrastructure. Once something is deemed critical infrastructure, common and contract law are essentially superceded by that designation.

Coming to your home soon - the USISP, a branch of the NSA

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
From the article-

"The odds are against it," said Paul Gallant, an analyst at Concept Capital, a research firm. "Net neutrality is the most controversial issue in the telecom media world, and even with a Democratic majority, it's not easy to pass."

Does anyone on the Democratic side of the aisle, want to handle this slight of your position!

He just said that the Democrats want to take control of the net. Anyone think this is a good idea?

edit to add- DO NOT FALL FOR THE DIVIDE AND CONQUER!

[edit on 1/15/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   

The government wants to treat broadband Internet as a national infrastructure, he said, like phone lines or the broadcast spectrum

A National Infrastructure it ( the internet ) has become, yes. And the FCC does have authority over communication infrastructure. So let us pray, or meditate, or ponder, or whatever, that the FCC is not corrupt and they will let the net be.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
With Obama's poll numbers falling at an unprecedented rate in recent American politics, his background in Chicago, the lack of humility, political thuggery, the lies, deceit, and total disregard of the will of American Electorate, of our social and political will, I as a matter of personal opinion, see this as no more than a communistic type of power grab.
As his reverend Jerry Wright said sooooo ineloquently, to paraphrase,"the chickens come home to roost".
I say to all that have ears to hear, this president is dangerous.
May God show us the way.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I think the government should start thinking of things to give control back to the people, instead of finding more things to control.

Although, that would be rather hippocratic of them and we can't have that can we?

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by LAUGHING-CAT
With Obama's poll numbers falling at an unprecedented rate in recent American politics, his background in Chicago, the lack of humility, political thuggery, the lies, deceit, and total disregard of the will of American Electorate, of our social and political will, I as a matter of personal opinion, see this as no more than a communistic type of power grab.
As his reverend Jerry Wright said sooooo ineloquently, to paraphrase,"the chickens come home to roost".
I say to all that have ears to hear, this president is dangerous.
May God show us the way.

You don't want god to show us the way or we would go back to the crusades.

Tho shant kill unless it is for me, the all-knowing bearded one.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by wiredamerican

You've got to be kidding. FCC directors have been on the spiff for distributing broadcast liscences since Amos & Andy were on the radio. The enitity does not matter since these folks just jump from agency to agency to lobbying firm back to congressional staff and around the horn they go.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by wiredamerican

The government wants to treat broadband Internet as a national infrastructure, he said, like phone lines or the broadcast spectrum

A National Infrastructure it ( the internet ) has become, yes. And the FCC does have authority over communication infrastructure. So let us pray, or meditate, or ponder, or whatever, that the FCC is not corrupt and they will let the net be.

The FCC was created to seperate civilian and military/LEO frequencies. Today, their power allows them to punish people for saying certain things. A Federal institution violating the first amendment. As a Federal entity they are bound by law to the Constitution, and yet they only seem to expand beyond the Constitution and into the realm of fascist communications control and censorship. Can you explain to me why we should trust these people to 'regulate' the Internet? What could we possibly gain from that?

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
More control over people is the clear goal.. Since obama was elected he has installed all kinds of super liberal communist dick heads everywhere. check out this news article:

Meet the FCC Diversity Czar

This FCC Czar hates conservative and Christian talk shows and such regardless that they are very popular. A lot of people in the MSM hate Rush and others and try to portray them as radical , except for the fact that they have millions of viewers. The FCC Czar would like to change this by regulating in a way to favor his own views and beliefs, kind of like how communist countries do things. After reading the above story about this czar running our American FCC, I wasn't really surprised, because since Obama was elected, he has done so many of these things to get America turned in to place that Karl Marx would just love... Obama is the number one threat to America right now. I consider him a clear and present danger to American freedom and liberty and the number one "Terrorist" in the world. The people that blindly follow and love obama are so stupid, because Obama holds those "followers" in contempt and would spit on their graves in a heartbeat.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
From the article-

Does anyone on the Democratic side of the aisle, want to handle this slight of your position!

He just said that the Democrats want to take control of the net. Anyone think this is a good idea?

edit to add- DO NOT FALL FOR THE DIVIDE AND CONQUER!

[edit on 1/15/2010 by endisnighe]

It is pretty funny also that only liberals want control of the internet, you never hear of any conservatives wanting control of it. That, as you well know, is because only liberals have such a wide and varying agenda that requires a way to propagandize all forms of media to paint a rosy picture of what ever it is they happen to be promoting at the time. Because they never , ever, and I mean never want everyone to "really" know what they are up to, because then no one would hardly support them if they knew the truth about what they were "really" planning. The best evidence that supports this statement is just look at all the anti-American things Obama has done since he's been in office. and he always does the opposite of what he said he would do. ( that is so he could get elected). Now look at all the marxist czars and super freaks he has put in these roles and positions to be able to mess up our country like the whack job running the FCC now!, we shouldn't be surprised at any of this crap he is doing.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

I apologize in advance, for alot of things.
We will be there when the nation calls.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
The military invented the internet.

They can have their own lines (and they do) if they think internet security is a threat to them.

Leave corporate nets to corporations, and don't interfere with them.

There is enough room to leave the free net free and keep secure stuff secure. This is just more Big Brother tactics.

new topics

top topics

join