It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The American Dream

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
A 55 year old man retires in Austin and moves to Mexico to relax the rest of his life. When he moves down there he becomes neighbors with a 21 year old named Juan. He watches Juan everday wake up in the morning to go fish for food, come home and take a nap in the afternoon with his girlfriend, and go out to get drinks with his friends at night.

One day this man goes to Juan and says "Juan, u know if u didn't take a nap everyday and stayed out fishing u could catch twice as many fish. U could bring those fish into the market at night and make a profit selling them. After a while u could buy 2 boats and catch twice as many fish and after a while get a whole fleet of boats. Then you could start taking these fish and distributing them in America and become a millionaire."

Juan asks the man how long would this take and the man replies only 20-30 years. Juan then asks what do I do after that? The man says "you can come back to Mexico and fish in the morning, take a nap with your wife in the afternoon, and go out for drinks with your friend at night."

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by GeechQuestInfo

Yes, it's funny.

But there is nothing wrong with accomplishment, is there? To know you've done something. You've amassed some wealth, were able to help out others. You provided fish, and led a noble life which benefited others as well. You worked. What's wrong with working?

Honestly I'd rather spend my life in the pursuit of accomplishment, than living the lifestyle of a seventy year old at age twenty-one.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Wow it took 15 minutes for a negative response. Not a record on ATS though.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Hm. Negativity wasn't my intention. I did comment it is funny, and the humor and irony doesn't escape me.

But the underlying meaning is as it presents itself. Why bother to spend a life working, when you can live the carefree and restful life now?

It's one's choice, of course, if one wishes to do no more with their life than what is presented in the scenario. Most people, of course, choose another way of life. (Most Americans?)

It is a comment on American vs. Mexican motivation, and I decidedly, have steered clear of that. Perhaps they have the right idea. There now. Does that make you happy?

Peace out.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Juan's thinking is that of mine...while on vacation from my job..... Unfortunatly the real world exists where scary things like bills and car payments survive. And Mexico is the least likely country I would retire in. I used to be a fan of getting killed over drug cartel violence but those days have

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I didn't see it that way but I see what your saying. You could live the Juan lifestyle in America if you choose to do so. In no way was this a Mexico vs USA thing.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Where did you find this?

I have read it before and if you could please supply a link.

I would like to know the author if that is possible.

Also, a very good parable.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Well it is rather funny and ironic, but during those 20-30 years of fishing, Juan would have fed everyone in his town, and made a small fortune.

Juan might want to spend that money a different way than the old man.
Maybe Juan wants a house in America,
maybe Juan wants to travel the world,
maybe Juan wants to share all his money with everyone in a village.

The point is Juan could do anything he wanted after he retired just like the old man did. But if Juan never started his fishing business, he has no choice but to fish in the morning to survive.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Maybe the old man should stop being such a pervert and stop watching Juan sleep with his girlfriend.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
funny story !!

But people !! Grow up !

The old guy is retired. Living the live he worked so hard for.
Juan is also living the live where he works for.

Occasionally someone dies before retirement.

When you die, did you live or were you a slave ?

Money is a lie !! A by product customized in order for you. To be a slave with hope, instead of a hopeless slave.

I agree i like to work for my lively needs. I think it's stupid to live for your work.
What's the use ?
Finally you retire and within a maximum of 10 years you die.
Believe me women do NOT !! get better like a good wine. More or less they get sour like vinegar.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I like the way Juan thinks.

This reminds me of The Great Gatsby, as great as all the excess sounds it just ends up weighing you down. Sure you can do great things with wealth but, for me personally, a humble quiet comfortable life is the one for me. I don't need much, just enough to get by.......

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by GeechQuestInfo

Nevermind, it is just a different version than I had read.

Deftly pulls foot from mouth.

The one I read had at the end of it a question from Juan.

How is that different than now?

NEVERMIND!

[edit on 1/16/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Ah, what makes one person happy does not apply to everyone.

Give me the millions after years of hard work, than a comparable medium.

It is nice having money. If I had more money at this moment, I would go to an island, maybe sky dive, eat some lobster.

Then the next week go on a safari trip in Australia.

Stop by in Vegas and blow some money.

Hit up Broadway.

The list goes on.

If Juan is satisfied fishing and having drinks with his friends every day so be it. I know I wouldn't.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
A nice little parable that, and one that should make us all think.
I often wonder, if European man hadn't spoilt the rest of the world, would the Native Americans, Aboriginees etc still be living their ideallic lifestyles.
And I wonder if there was a situation like 2012 where 99% of the worlds population was wiped out, along with the technology, would we evolve again in such a materialistic way ?

top topics

join