It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Asymmetrical War work?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
There was a recent post of some truely horrific pictures of the Isreal / Gaza war and I already was thinking about this... "Does Asymmetrical war work?"

The purpose of war is to subjugate the oppostion by killing or injuring the opposition. there is nothing "nice" or "heroic" about war, you kill people you don't know (indeed you could be best friends with your enemy if you got to know them)in circumstances driven by people you have never met (Kings, MPs etc. - who never get to see the horror or the hatred caused by the war).

Asymmetric wars means you have masses of technology, but lots of restrictions in how you conduct the war. but you are still killing people and breeding hatred for the next generation. So war is completely wrong and dirty and against every thing that humans should stand for - so why do we try to sanitise it?

Look at Afghanistan, the war is played by the UK and US to a set of rules, that is exploited by the opposition - is that right? By extending the war with these rules (and not completely subjugating everything within the first 6 months), surely this has meant more deaths and hatred than necessary over a longer period a for all concerned.

War is wrong. So why put in rules to sanitise it?

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by templar knight

You bring up some great questions ..

Does asymmetrical war work? Yes I believe it does. If any war were symmetrical, there may never be an end to the war.
That is what battle planners do, they come up with ways to make the war asymmetrical, in order to win the war.

And the other, ROE, or rules of engagement, do hinder all possible abilities by militaries. It is the benefit that a country obtains by having the ROE. A benefit of mercy, respect, humility and courage. If we set our rules to respect adversaries then we can sleep better at night. That is how I see it anyway.

Anyway great thread.

join