It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian Missionaries Desperately Trying to Leave Haiti!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by FeralMonkeyMagic

Originally posted by watcher73
Sorry OP but all christians are hypocrites. No exceptions.

Since you are posting I can assume you have a computer?

Jesus said to give up/sell everything.

Have you? No?

Hypocrite.

That one example probably covers 99% of you. But I have thousands more.

That's interesting - but he does not tell all christians to do that - a simple google search will lead you to understand that he was speaking to a "leader" of a city, who was asking what he could do to help people more. (Mark 10:17-31)

I dare say by selling his wealth of possessions, he would be no doubt helping many under his dominion.

An interesting point to make is this: People who consider themselves "rich" segregate themselves from those who are not as wealthy as they, which is evident in society in general.

The moral of the story above, if you were trying to get one - was that material possessions can hinder your relationship with people, by you becoming alienated by them. Protecting possessions and keeping those who have less than you at bay, you are not serving the lords best interests (the interests of the general populace) and therefor only your own.

Id like to hear these "thousands" more. Start a thread so we can all see the thousands of observations you made as well as providing source reference material. It would be very interesting to see your opinion and debate them as a matter of opinion.

Interesting and thought provoking post nonetheless.

No, Jesus knew that the man valued his possessions more than he valued serving God. After Jesus told him he needed to give up his possessions, the man left. The man had been wanting to know what to do to be saved.

Mark 10:

The Rich Young Man
17As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. "Good teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"
18"Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good—except God alone. 19You know the commandments: 'Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, do not defraud, honor your father and mother.'[d]"

20"Teacher," he declared, "all these I have kept since I was a boy."

21Jesus looked at him and loved him. "One thing you lack," he said. "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

22At this the man's face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth.

23Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, "How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!"

24The disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said again, "Children, how hard it is[e] to enter the kingdom of God! 25It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

26The disciples were even more amazed, and said to each other, "Who then can be saved?"

27Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God."

28Peter said to him, "We have left everything to follow you!"

29"I tell you the truth," Jesus replied, "no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel 30will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age (homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields—and with them, persecutions) and in the age to come, eternal life. 31But many who are first will be last, and the last first."

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jessicamsa

Sorry OP but all christians are hypocrites. No exceptions.

Since you are posting I can assume you have a computer?

Jesus said to give up/sell everything.

Have you? No?

Hypocrite.

That one example probably covers 99% of you. But I have thousands more.

That's interesting - but he does not tell all christians to do that - a simple google search will lead you to understand that he was speaking to a "leader" of a city, who was asking what he could do to help people more. (Mark 10:17-31)

I dare say by selling his wealth of possessions, he would be no doubt helping many under his dominion.

An interesting point to make is this: People who consider themselves "rich" segregate themselves from those who are not as wealthy as they, which is evident in society in general.

The moral of the story above, if you were trying to get one - was that material possessions can hinder your relationship with people, by you becoming alienated by them. Protecting possessions and keeping those who have less than you at bay, you are not serving the lords best interests (the interests of the general populace) and therefor only your own.

Id like to hear these "thousands" more. Start a thread so we can all see the thousands of observations you made as well as providing source reference material. It would be very interesting to see your opinion and debate them as a matter of opinion.

Interesting and thought provoking post nonetheless.

No, Jesus knew that the man valued his possessions more than he valued serving God. After Jesus told him he needed to give up his possessions, the man left. The man had been wanting to know what to do to be saved.

Mark 10:

The Rich Young Man
17As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. "Good teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"
18"Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good—except God alone. 19You know the commandments: 'Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, do not defraud, honor your father and mother.'[d]"

20"Teacher," he declared, "all these I have kept since I was a boy."

21Jesus looked at him and loved him. "One thing you lack," he said. "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

22At this the man's face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth.

23Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, "How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!"

24The disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said again, "Children, how hard it is[e] to enter the kingdom of God! 25It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

26The disciples were even more amazed, and said to each other, "Who then can be saved?"

27Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God."

28Peter said to him, "We have left everything to follow you!"

29"I tell you the truth," Jesus replied, "no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel 30will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age (homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields—and with them, persecutions) and in the age to come, eternal life. 31But many who are first will be last, and the last first."

I like that interpretation. star.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   

you said there were not thousands... but you had "some"

Not what I said. Its your backwoods interpretation of what I said.

I said I had thousands, just not a list. Then I said I had already used another one.

I still have thousands. You still havent started your own thread.

1) learn to read

2) reread bible

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Peter said to him, "We have left everything to follow you!"

and he told the rich boy

"if you want to be perfect give up/sell everything and" what? "follow me"

So peter did it

the rich dude did it

you think it applies only to peter and the rich kid because what was it....he wasnt talking to us?

lol

hypocrites to the marrow

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

I said I had thousands, just not a list. Then I said I had already used another one.

1) learn to read

2) reread bible

Learn to live by your own stated convictions - or are you too a hypocrite? It seems that Christians are not the only "Hypocrites" pointing the fingers around here?

You said you weren't going to even read my posts anymore?

Um, obviously you read AND replied to it.

Awesome Work!

Oh please, you still have thousands even after having said that you DON'T have thousands?

Will you make up your mind?

Again, you fail to grasp the concept of, if you want to prove some one wrong, you must take the initiative in the utmost sense of the word.

Start your own thread. It will feed your ego more, we know you like that.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

Can we really call them "Christian" missionaries if theyre so desperate to not help? Its like calling Pat Robertson "Christian". Is he really?

Instead of covering the few leaving, we should be noting the many who are already there, Franklin Graham and Samaritan's Purse, or on their way. There are people in Haiti doing great work and they are getting very little to no attention.

Pat Robertson is actually a decent enough guy, but perhaps Overzealous sometimes... usually when he says something controversial like the "cursed" comment, the people that attack him aren't truly outraged as they claim, they just use the opportunity for political gain..What he said was perhaps not the smartest comment to make in light of the earthquake happening, but he was talking about how the political leaders of the country and their history and his comments were used by the MSM and mostly anti-Christian folks to try and slam on him...bleh...

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   

1) learn to read

2) reread bible

Learn to live by your own stated convictions - or are you too a hypocrite? It seems that Christians are not the only "Hypocrites" pointing the fingers around here?

Awesome Work!

Oh please, you still have thousands even after having said that you DON'T have thousands?

Again, you fail to grasp the concept of, if you want to prove some one wrong, you must take the initiative in the utmost sense of the word.

Why would I start a new thread when you arent answering your own hypocrisy in this one?

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Peter said to him, "We have left everything to follow you!"

and he told the rich boy

"if you want to be perfect give up/sell everything and" what? "follow me"

So peter did it

the rich dude did it

you think it applies only to peter and the rich kid because what was it....he wasnt talking to us?

lol

hypocrites to the marrow

LOL! Assumptions much? in that story he was speaking DIRECTLY to the individual.

Again, you missed the point - Christ was here to server Humanity, you cannot serve the people if you are absorbed wholly by your possessions you hold, they in the very real sense hold you back...

He did not say it was wrong to have possessions, but he was also speaking in regards to "following" him in the literal sense - meaing walking around everywhere preaching the word, for his disciples anyway.. as he was constantly traveling, what good would material possession pose? They would have to cart them all around everywhere?

Flawed logic much Watcher73?

If you were going to follow your Dad around, by walking everywhere and never return home - would you take everything you own? or just the clothes on your back.

Giving things away is a good thing to do, as i do this, with old clothes, old games, old books - it's a sentiment that i understand.

Have you ever given anything away, or do you horde items, or just throw them in the trash when they have served your purpose?

When this computer is too old for my purposes (gaming mostly) i will give it to my mother, who will use it for many years to come and it will server her purposes of E-mailing relatives for many many many years.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by troubleshooter
Weel, you do get points for actually reading the text...
...but you still ahve no clue about the meaning.

Well Jesus obviously wasnt talking to me or you anyway. He was talking to the dude who questioned him saving the whore from a stoning.

What??

That was in a different section of the Bible!

The man Jesus spoke to asked Him about how to inherit eternal life.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   

1) learn to read

2) reread bible

Awesome Work!

Why would I start a new thread when you arent answering your own hypocrisy in this one?

My own Hypocrisy?

You make no discernible sense. Quit your ramblings and stop supporting my argument that you are a coward and not willing to back yourself up by twisting the argument that somehow i should start the thread.... that makes no sense at all.

Why would i start a thread "How Christians are Hypocrites and the Proof" when i don;t believe they all are??

As it is your opinion and you have "volumes" of information supporting your theory, submit them online for everyone to see and decide for themselves. Simple as that.

Also, quit supporting my argument that you, are the hypocrite. You said you weren't going to read my posts.. which would lead to a lack of response to my posts.. however you continue to reply and continue to argue your point...

I suppose with the logic you use and your obvious mental ability - you were a huge asset to the American Military!

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   

LOL! Assumptions much? in that story he was speaking DIRECTLY to the individual.

Again, you missed the point

Then why did Peter say he had done the same thing?

In most of the NT he is talking to some individual or another directly. None of these people are the reader.

- Christ was here to server Humanity, you cannot serve the people if you are absorbed wholly by your possessions you hold, they in the very real sense hold you back...

You are making your own points up. If christ was only here to serve then why did peter and the rich kid also give up everything?

He did not say it was wrong to have possessions,

Nope but he did say to give them all away, and apparently to more than just the rich kid as an apostle also had given up everything.

but he was also speaking in regards to "following" him in the literal sense - meaing walking around everywhere preaching the word, for his disciples anyway.. as he was constantly traveling, what good would material possession pose? They would have to cart them all around everywhere?

And now your excuses start to why you arent following the word.

Flawed logic much Watcher73?

Never flawed logic, only flawed facts.

If you were going to follow your Dad around, by walking everywhere and never return home - would you take everything you own? or just the clothes on your back.

Giving things away is a good thing to do, as i do this, with old clothes, old games, old books - it's a sentiment that i understand.

Oh how xtian of you to give everything OLD away. Too bad thats bnot what Jesus said.

Have you ever given anything away, or do you horde items, or just throw them in the trash when they have served your purpose?

Judge not hypocrite.

When this computer is too old for my purposes (gaming mostly) i will give it to my mother, who will use it for many years to come and it will server her purposes of E-mailing relatives for many many many years.

Well I hope thqat makes you feel xtian when you really arent. Most of my stuff is not serviceable by the time Im done with it because Im not a possession person who always needs the next best thing like you apparently.

But simply, yes I have given stuff away. Out of the atheistic goodness of my heart, not as a hypocritical liar trying to make my way into a place that doesnt exist.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   

What??

Exactly the point. One of you guys pointed out that Jesus wasnt talking to us when he said to give up everything, he was talking to the rich guy and that therefore it didnt apply to all xtians.

In an effort to show how totally illogical this was I used that exact same logic on a different part of the bible.

If you can say Jesus wasnt talking specifically to us then you can say it about virtually the whole NT.

Get it now? I realize you probably havent read the whole thread.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Picking and choosing what applies to all xtians and what doesnt is a 3rd example of hypocrisy.

997 to go MonkeyMan.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Im so sorry Watcher - but the amount of misguided assumptions you make are too many to address and to be honest i have wasted too much time trying to talk some sense of a different perspective to you.

You believe that your opinion is correct without any REAL evidence. You have started on every single Christian and you expect that we all just drop our belief system because you disagree.

I don't even care you're atheist - It doesn't matter. What matters is that you mistake your own opinion and perception of events as FACT. Sucks, but hey - surely you don't care.. that much is evident. You don't care to respect others beliefs...

You would probably think that Evangelical Christians are horrid people! Well, there's not a lot of difference between an evangelical Christian and an Evangelical Atheist. Except of course, for perspective of opinion.

Btw a C2D 2.4 ghz 24'' iMac is not necessarily old or beyond use.

Lol - Maybe i should tell you how i help my mother with anything that she asks of me? i.e. new air con system, where i spend my hard saved money to do something completely for the WANT to help another person - Again - you misunderstand, i'm not trying to garner access to "heaven" as you would put it - i just like making the people i know and interact with happier by helping their circumstances. But you certainly make the jump that i am trying to do so.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   

What??

So Jessica, since you also seem to be claiming that Jesus was only talking to the rich guy can you explain why the apostle you quoted also stated that he had also given up everything and why the words of Jesus should not also apply to you and all other xtians?

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   

What??

Exactly the point. One of you guys pointed out that Jesus wasnt talking to us when he said to give up everything, he was talking to the rich guy and that therefore it didnt apply to all xtians.

In an effort to show how totally illogical this was I used that exact same logic on a different part of the bible.

If you can say Jesus wasnt talking specifically to us then you can say it about virtually the whole NT.

Get it now? I realize you probably havent read the whole thread.

I have indeed endured the whole thread.

Your induction regarding the syllogistics are quite the gamut.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Picking and choosing what applies to all xtians and what doesnt is a 3rd example of hypocrisy.

997 to go MonkeyMan.

By all means "Watcher" enlighten us as to the other 997?

Or are you running out of steam?

Your picking the fact that SOME Christians can truly be seen as hypocritical by others who share the same beliefs and those that don't... Hmm i don't know - like politicians who say they are Christian and have values of Christians yet wage un just and unprovoked wars in other countries? There is an example there, but you are flawed in your assumption that this applies to ALL christians.

You know what, not ALL atheists share your jaded views on Christianity. That must be hard to accept and paints you as an extreme Evangelical Atheist.

Ego tripper fo' sho'

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Im so sorry Watcher - but the amount of misguided assumptions you make are too many to address and to be honest i have wasted too much time trying to talk some sense of a different perspective to you.

You ask for it, then you run away.

Typical xtian.

You believe that your opinion is correct without any REAL evidence.

Where is your evidence for anything?

You have started on every single Christian and you expect that we all just drop our belief system because you disagree.

No I realized a long time ago that xtians cant be reasoned with, or there would be no xtians.

Btw a C2D 2.4 ghz 24'' iMac is not necessarily old or beyond use.

That about says everything I need to know about you.

One of the more expensive brands if not the most, and also the simplest to use.

Lol - Maybe i should tell you

Maybe you should tell Jesus why you pick and choose which parts you listen to and how you interpret things to fit your view instead of what he actually meant.

Either that or stop trolling. So obvious.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   

997 to go MonkeyMan.

1 Corinthians 1: 18For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19For it is written:
"I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate."

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

997 to go MonkeyMan.

By all means "Watcher" enlighten us as to the other 997?

Or are you running out of steam?

Your picking the fact that SOME Christians can truly be seen as hypocritical by others who share the same beliefs and those that don't... Hmm i don't know - like politicians who say they are Christian and have values of Christians yet wage un just and unprovoked wars in other countries? There is an example there, but you are flawed in your assumption that this applies to ALL christians.

You know what, not ALL atheists share your jaded views on Christianity. That must be hard to accept and paints you as an extreme Evangelical Atheist.

Ego tripper fo' sho'

Thought you were done? Make up your mind man.

No I am picking the fact that ALL xtians are hypocritical as I have said in this thread from the very beginning. You have done nothing but prove me right.

I am not flawed in my assumptions that it applies to all xtians. It does. I asked for an example,. just one, of who it didnt apply to. What I got was "he wasnt talking to me he was talking to the rich guy"

You should pluck the thing out your eye oh blind one.

Youre exactly the type of person he was talking to.

Enjoy your Mac oh simple one.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join