It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian Missionaries Desperately Trying to Leave Haiti!

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by factbeforefiction

Not here, wherever you are.

Would you (or anyone here) want to help me change the world?

What would that involve?

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by factbeforefiction

no I didn't think it was a gay thing

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Hi
Just a quicky to spark an idea........... Why would Missionaries want to leave and not at least help the sick and injured?.....surely the organisers would have insisted they helped?........
I think there's something we could be missing........straight after the quake they are at the airport ready to leave.......who is leaving? could this be missionaries and OTHER PEOPLE! Scientists maybe? under the guise of missionaries?
Seems VERY unlikely that people drafted to help the needy leave when their needed the most. If this is the case its time they stop going anywhere as missionaries and tell it how it is.,...Rich kids going to poor countries to feed their egos.....its disgusting!!!!
If that was me doing the so called missionary work, I would still be there digging people out with my bare hands. If they were British they would of got home to be beaten and berated on arrival.
ps. Just a little extra before some Christian who's read the Bible (a book written 400 years after Jesus by people WHO WERE NOT APOSTLES) stick some stupid verse as I've read in this thread, I've dedicated my life for a person in a selfless act of true devotion...not reading books and singing songs and giving money(a few pennies in the collection box) as they drive off in there 4X4 Holier than thou...ggrrr!! I would be there now with no questions asked if I could, gangs or not, trouble or not.

[edit on 18-1-2010 by DreamerOracle]

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
This thread contains some of the most venomous posts I've seen on ATS.

I personally know one of these missionaries. He's been tending to the wounded and sticking spoons in mouths and was there during the quake. Apparently there is a growing threat to the missionaries. The locals are quite desperate for food, water, and medical supplies and are turning against the people giving aid. The missionaries are leaving because they are likely to be killed if they stay.

Questioning the faith of these people, or their not staying to clear debris, or their intentions in the first place etc. is just vile. You should all be very ashamed of yourselves - especially the "I'm a better Christian than they are" crew. You know who you are. I hope you can forgive yourself for being so disgustingly vacuous (but, then again, being vacuous means you don't even see that it's wrong. Tsk). If you represent what being a christian is all about, I am so very happy that I am not a Christian.

If you have no first hand knowledge of the situation, don't pretend to know all the variables of what's going on over there.

Maybe, instead of judging these people, you should be on a plane with a couple tons of food and medical supplies....No? You have a doctor's appointment on Thursday? Gotta take your library books back? Oh, I see. Never mind then. Best you just sit and type hatred, then, rather than giving any real aid. You can practice being a superior christian from the safety of your desk.

The latest news: I understand that my friend has been evacuated to the Dominican Republic and is awaiting a return to the US.

For those of you with a faith, I'm sure he'd appreciate your prayers. For those of us without, a few kind thoughts and some positive energy sent his way might help.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
There is a reason why aid workers go into these areas as teams.

The danger to them in REGULAR DAY life is extreme. The danger to them in these situations is enormous.

Being that the missionaries and aid workers will often look different than the local populace - even the black ones - and that those differences are directly associated to prosperity....these people are in more danger than just about anyone else. They are visual symbols upon which to take out people's anger and strife at what they perceive to be a group who is denying them something they deserve.

While I have no particular love of missionaries, I do not cast judgement on people for this.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badgered1

For those of you with a faith, I'm sure he'd appreciate your prayers. For those of us without, a few kind thoughts and some positive energy sent his way might help.

You are not alone, I am in agreement with your statements. My thoughts are with your caring friend.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons

The danger to them in REGULAR DAY life is extreme. The danger to them in these situations is enormous.

Being that the missionaries and aid workers will often look different than the local populace - even the black ones - and that those differences are directly associated to prosperity....these people are in more danger than just about anyone else. They are visual symbols upon which to take out people's anger and strife at what they perceive to be a group who is denying them something they deserve.

While I have no particular love of missionaries, I do not cast judgment on people for this.

These are excellent observations. Looking different in this situation also makes these aid workers ripe for kidnappings. We live in a world that is often more complex than the news reports would have us believe.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by JasonT

I am not a Muslim, so could not answer this as you have done.
On behalf of my several Muslim friends (extremely precious to me, a Christian, go figure), I thank you for setting this very important point straight, as only you could.

Actually, based on the people I know, most Americans are very generous with their sympathy, money, and prayers. That's the average American. Gotta love 'em.

Thanks, America, for the good you actually do.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Are you really that stupid?

What is it you expect them to do, and with what? They were already over there in a bad situation trying to do good. They are standing in the middle of a destroyed town falling into lawlessness where they will be a target and you want them to stand there and pray while they are killed to make a point?

They can not help if they do not have anything to help with. They would only become a burden on the rescue effort and more liability for the ones trying to establish some sort of security.

I hope you are not calling yourself a christian.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by watcher73

No. The lady put her hands over my stomach, and told the adhesions to be loosed in the name of Jesus.

[edit on 18-1-2010 by Copperflower]

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
My goodness! All of this finger-pointing at "Christians" from people still in the US and on the Internet.

Ahhhh, hypocrisy...she's a seductress, is she not?

MooCow, my friend, I assume you're going wireless from the cafe in Port Au Prince, yes? Please say "Hello" to Father Chris when you see him. You're probably there with members of St Marys handing out medical supplies, yes?

Those "Christian" missionaries were residents living in Haiti who just went through an earthquake themselves. They felt the ground move, had their residences or shelter destroyed, see the looting, and are also afraid. For all intents and purposes they are Haitians that need relief. Let a new batch of humanitarians in. These are humans suffering from PTSD.

I have been in war torn regions and I know the fear. We are all only human, after all.

Except Happy Go Lucky. He's sex on a stick.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by A Fortiori

Except Happy Go Lucky. He's sex on a stick.

Thanks for the reminder as to why you're on my friend list...

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I guess I’ll throw my bit in now, though really looking at the ugliness that has and is transpiring within the thread I did not want to.

I cannot and will not speak for these people as I am not there with them. But so many on here act as if Christians are supposed to perfect or something. Sorry not going to happen no one is perfect only Christ ever was.

There are times as a Christian when you are shaken in your faith, mind, and will. We are humans just like everyone else it is going to happen. Also my church helps missionaries in China (as you might know their government is not too keen on Christians) like many missionaries they raise families where they work. If I were a missionary in Haiti I most certainly would do everything I could to at the very least get my wife and children out of the country so they would be safer than being in a crazed area. I might even decide to leave with them depending on how the whole thing affected me. To chastise and belittle these missionaries for being human is not only sad but rather stupid. You will attack one group of people yet praise others?

As I said no Christian is perfect we suffer our own spiritual fights and dealings with life as any other. Any Christians who acts or says they are perfect or better needs to take a real close look at their own life, because they are either fooled or lying. These people might be there to help any other time but they are human just like everyone else do not criticize them unless you were there with them. Some might be staying and others might be leaving, in the end it is their choice. The God we worship and believe in will forgive us for our human failures if we ask Him to because he understands we fail. The deal is we are suppose to recognize when we fail.

Raist

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
FYI I dont think all missionaries are bad? and I hope you didn't think that.
Hello just had to reply,
I am Christian and as I stated the only reason I'm not there helping is the fact I look after my Disabled Wife and my age. If I were 20 years younger then I would be helping out right now. I do not go home to my comfortable life! I'm poor the only thing I have is my Wife her profoundly deaf daughter and my own daughter my Council house and the internet. I do not drive as feeding my family is more important to me! So don't assume I'm a hypocrit. I offen give money to charity even if it leaves me with nothing!
Onto the main subject, yes admittedly the ladies should of gone home as being at more risk (sorry ladies I don't mean to sound demeaning) but surely the young men could of assisted in the clearing of rubble ect under the supervision of the rescue teams. I noticed numerous Haitians helping the rescue crews to free the trapped and wounded, they obviously aren't trained?
To the missionaries that stayed they have my utmost praise. They've carried on when a minority of Haiti Gangs would destroy the international communities efforts.
Where would Christianity be if St.Peter hadn't of stuck his neck out for his faith. Admittidly reluctantly at first but he came good in the end.....

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast

Are you really that stupid?

What is it you expect them to do, and with what? They were already over there in a bad situation trying to do good. They are standing in the middle of a destroyed town falling into lawlessness where they will be a target and you want them to stand there and pray while they are killed to make a point?

They can not help if they do not have anything to help with. They would only become a burden on the rescue effort and more liability for the ones trying to establish some sort of security.

I hope you are not calling yourself a christian.

Listen, I spent four years in Beirut, saw most of my friends killed and was there to comfort countless strangers while I watched the most beautiful city in the Mediterranean go from the most positive vision of futuristic architecture with sky blue water to a complete apocalyptic nightmare.

I stacked my best friends on top of our food because it was the only refrigeration we had, and if it was my turn to go down there to get something I frequently had to move them in order to get it.

I could tell you quite a bit but I'll leave it at this, even if you can't do anything other than being there and holding their hand while they die - that's enough.

By the way, the word Christian is capitalized.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hemisphere

While I have no particular love of missionaries, I do not cast judgment on people for this.

These are excellent observations. Looking different in this situation also makes these aid workers ripe for kidnappings. We live in a world that is often more complex than the news reports would have us believe.

What do you mean by looking different? Are you trying to suggest that the aid workers somehow look different than the native Haitians? Exactly what do you mean by that?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hemisphere

What do you mean by looking different? Are you trying to suggest that the aid workers somehow look different than the native Haitians? Exactly what do you mean by that?

You don't need an explanation. You've lost the high ground and are looking for openings. You made your own opening with your original undocumented post. No source. Just something you saw.

When I saw this on the news, several times, it made me sick. Approximately 150 Christian Missionaries stranded at the airport with passports in hand trying to get out of Haiti. - factbeforefiction

You describe the Christian missionaries you saw. Then we'll compare notes. Was Snoop Dog with that group? Bill Clinton? Pat Robertson? Did you make this all up? Why no source? That's what poses as a thread here. You make up a scenario and then comment.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Listen, I spent four years in Beirut .

Missionaries aren't military or obligated by any government. Civilians in Haiti are exposed to disease and violence now and need to have a safe place to stay. Evacuation is necessary and the missionaries were smart to leave when they could.

Meanwhile France is accusing the US of occupation of Haiti. That's kinda funny.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by JasonT

Islamic governments are absent in the response to Haiti.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I've re-thought my stance on this (it's allowed!).
In a disaster situation, unless you can offer practical help, you are both a danger to yourself and a burden to rescue agencies.
So I think they did the right thing by leaving.
www.cnn.com...

[edit on 19-1-2010 by unicorn1]

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21 >>

join