It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian Missionaries Desperately Trying to Leave Haiti!

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by daggyz

Not to be nit-picky, but "Christian" is a Biblical term. Regretfully it has been dragged through the mud by the many hypocrites that so many believe make up the entirety of Christianity.

Acts 11:25-26
25Then Barnabas went to Tarsus to look for Saul, 26and when he found him, he brought him to Antioch. So for a whole year Barnabas and Saul met with the church and taught great numbers of people. The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch.

There are a couple other verses that use the term, but this is the first place. Another biblical term to use would be followers of The Way. Hope that helps a little. Not trying to disrespect.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by EricD

You seem to be able to communicate fairly well and you appear to be able to offer a cogent reply on occasion, so I'll assume that you are engaging in selective idiocy.

1) There was a link provided for you that showed a Christian that is clearly doing EXACTLY what you claimed Christians don't do. So much for your blanket statements.

Youre going to have to be more specific.

2) Someone offered the suggestion that these missionaries were in fact teens that were being returned home. Have you any proof that this is not the case?

The OP and others have SUGGGESTED that xtian missionaries are running from Haiti. Have you any proof that this is not the case?

3) You are using the perceived actions of a few to assign motive to the many. How many missionaries are still in Haiti running hospitals, shelters and food banks? Any idea?

Well now it all depends on your definition of xtian doesnt it? Wasnt Hitler a xtian? How many xtians claim he wasnt?

what about GW Bush, he says he is also. But that god told him to invade Iraq?

Were going to have to get to the bottom of what a true xtian is before that question can even be answered. But going on previous statements by other supposed xtians any sort of hypocrisy in regards to what a diff kind of xtian belileves can disqualify one cant it?

Didn't think so.

Agreed.

4) Haiti is already a Christian nation. Close to 100% of the population in Haiti claim to be Christian. Still think that the missionaries were there for proselytizing? But that's already been pointed out and you ignored it then, so you'll probably ignore it here as well. Inconvenient truth and all.

According to the CIA:

Roman Catholic 80%, Protestant 16% (Baptist 10%, Pentecostal 4%, Adventist 1%, other 1%), none 1%, other 3% note: roughly half of the population practices voodoo

Seems 50% of them may call themselces xtian but they may be disqualified eh?

Im sure we could disqualify the other 50%

By the way, you're exegesis is atrocious.

Actually its usually dead on. Thats why it makes you guys so mad. You people just translate things the way you want to read them. If Jesus is teaching lessons, then one of them is to give up everything. One of the apostles had done it before it was even mentioned to the rich guy. why is that? Because its a lesson. Youre just too materialistic and therefore not real xtians, right?

Next time you want to use a word like exegesis, try getting the word in front of it correct. I might take your fake intellect a little more seriously.

It seems like that year you skipped would have been better spent working on both the rudiments of critical thinking and Biblical literacy (seeing as how obsessed you seem to be).

Well seeing how obsessed you are with me it would figure that you might have read all of my posts. Especially the ones that refer to skipping a grade. Once you recover from this beating go look for what I'm talking about.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by factbeforefiction

That had to be a lot of work, but you forgot the thread about douchebags who look up other peoples threads.

I'm thinking that maybe you didn't quite understand. You see somehow you seem to have gotten the idea that I was God or Jesus or something like that, I'm not. I'm a guy that frequently fails, says things I wished I hadn't, writes stupid things sometimes, and always have lived to regret it. In fact I've probably failed more than you have ever tried.

BUT

and this is the thing you're not going to like...

I am a Christian, which means I never stop trying to do better, no matter how many times I fall, fail, or come short - I always keep trying, and as long as I keep trying, he still loves me.

No less work than your response. You've cornered the douchebaggery market. I had no such misconception that you were a divinity. Who had the idea you were God or Jesus or something like that? You? You are delusional. You've failed again. Nobody buys your schtick. Your fake outrage. Yes you're always trying. Trying but never doing. We know, you're here complaining. That is the point. Hours have passed and you're still defending your indefensible position instead of walking, sailing or flying yourself to Haiti. There's still a need. What are you waiting for? Oh yeah. God loves you when you're whining about others trying and failing.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
How about this, before this thread goes any further, you xtian people get together and decide what exactly being xtian means. I have seen too many times where someone pointed out a hypocritical xtian only to hear "well he wasnt a real xtian" because he didnt follow the bible or xtian teachings.

So lets get it straight once and for all because I see 100% of you as hypocrites. You dont follow the old testament at all and use the excuse that Jesus brought a new testament.

Well guess what? Jesus said "I come not to change the old law." So...by my interpretation he is talking about the old testament. But even if youre allowed to throw that away then still...not a single xtian I have ever met has followed his teachings to the letter in the NT.

If one person can be debarred by any of you for being a hypocrite then in some way, all of you should be. I dont want to hear that you try, because you dont. All you do is try to come up with new "interpretations" or new excuses.

So get it straight amongst yourselves.

When you're done, spell it out for me in plain English.

Then I will still show you to be hypocrites and you wont have any excuses.

Fair enough?

[edit on 17-1-2010 by watcher73]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
And when the judges and congress finally agree on what is actually best for the country is when we should start listening to them right?

You are right to a degree, the apologetics that many Christians use for scripture is lacking at best, but many do try their best to live according to the teachings of Christ. The entire law which Jesus spoke of is summed up in this, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind and love your neighbor as yourself." If a person follows these two things perfectly then he is in step with the entire law. Again, regretfully none of us are able to do this perfectly, but that's why the forgiveness we have in Christ is so wonderful.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by watcher73
How about this, before this thread goes any further, you xtian people get together and eecide what exactly being xtian means. I have seen too many times where someone pointed out a hypocritical xtian only to hear "well he wasnt a real xtian" because he didnt follow the bible or xtian teachings.

So lets get it straight once and for all because I see 100% of you as xtians. You dont follow the old testament at all and use the excuse that Jesus brought a new testament.

Well guess what? Jesus said "I come not to change the old law." So...by my interpretation he is talking about the old testament. But even if youre allowed to throw that away then still...not a single xtian I have ever met has followed his teachings to the letter in the NT.

If one person can be debarred by any of you for being a hypocrite then in some way, all of you should be. I dont want to hear that you try, because you dont. All you do is try to come up with new "interpretations" or new excuses.

So get it straight amongst yourselves.

When you're done, spell it out for me in plain English.

Then I will still show you to be hypocrites and you wont have any excuses.

Fair enough?

OK - here it is simplified for you - in plain ENGLISH.

In the Bible, humans are said to be Fallible, in every way possible that is undeniable.

The bible gives examples and rules for how to BEST act in any given circumstance.

See 10 commandments for simplified rules on how to co-exist. (they're in English too)

That is not to say, that it is constantly followed by EVERY SINGLE PERSON EVER TO HAVE READ IT... to assume that is to be missing one of the major points.

We are all fallible and all sinners. We were given the ability to repent and true repentance requires one to not do "that" thing again. However, if you missed the point of the bible, which i am sure you have, there will be times when you will commit the same act again and again - What makes a difference is wether or not you disregard the treachings to gain your own ends through life, or ATTEMPT to impliment them in every way possible that you can imagine and TRY your hardest to do THE RIGHT THING.

Patience and acceptance are more ideas the Bible pushes.. You must have missed those lessons too..

So simply - a Christian is someone who wishes to follow the teaching of Christ the best way they can. By following the 10 commandments you can pretty much garauntee that you will be living in a Christian manner. However, because God is more understanding than you will ever be - he allows for EVERYONE to repent, given that the repentance is 100% true in it's origins (see 10 commandments for ideas on Truth) ..

There's no more need for anyone here to justify their religion to you. Not only do you CHOOSE to see one side of any given story, you CHOOSE to be arrogant, ignorant and overflowing with pride at every corner..

Let's see if you respond to this and justify your response to it being necesary, even though you said, twice now, that you wouldn't read or respond to my replies. Good luck proving that you, yourself aren't a Hypocrite, which you have demonstrated previously throughout this thread.

Good Game "Watcher" Good Game indeed.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
You guys sure like to say its me and my kind who dont "get" the bible but study after studt shows atheists in general as more moral than the religious.

We get the bible. We mostly live by the NT. You dont.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   

You guys sure like to say its me and my kind who dont "get" the bible but study after studt shows atheists in general as more moral than the religious.

Everyone here would like to see these "Studies" and assess wether they were on biased or unbiased grounds or wether they even exist. I wonder if you understand that concept either.

lol - looking forward to the next epic rubutal.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by FeralMonkeyMagic

Everyone here would like to see these "Studies" and assess wether they were on biased or unbiased grounds or wether they even exist. I wonder if you understand that concept either.

Cambridge Companion to Atheism contains summaries of them. You can get the actual studies from there.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   

See 10 commandments for simplified rules on how to co-exist.

Which 10? Werent there two sets and actually more than 10?

Yawn.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Cambridge Companion to Atheism contains summaries of them. You can get the actual studies from there.

Ahhh .. the "companion to atheism"

Bias much - Atheists saying they are more moral than other people of religious faiths - Well done! Solid "C-" material here.

Also, thanks again for proving my point(s) ... reply much?

Provide links of these so we can peruse them.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Yawn.

Again, thanks for priving my point AGAIN.

Can't help but to argue can you? LOL - pride..

Let's see if you can understand basic concepts behind the 10 commandments before going any further than that.

start off simple - remember, just like in 3rd grade?

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
More Research Concerning Atheist Morality (1997) by Michael Wang

A summary of a study which shows that religious belief and ethical behavior have little to no correlation.

No Morality Without the Bible? (1994) by Farrell Till

The foundation of the fundamentalist claim that the "Bible is necessary for people to know how to live moral lives," Till explains, "is of course erroneous. It is even contradicted by the Bible itself."

The Poverty of Theistic Morality (1995) by Adolf Grünbaum

In this hard-hitting article, Grünbaum critically evaluates the persistent claim that theism can help solve moral crises while secularism only exacerbates them. More specifically, Grünbaum considers two theistic claims: (1) theism is normatively indispensible for the acceptability of moral imperatives; and (2) theistic belief is motivationally necessary, as a matter of psychological fact, to assure such adherence to moral standards as there is in society at large.

Praise the Lord, Pass the Ammo (1999) (Off Site) by Steve Chapman

According to Chapman, not only is there no evidence indicating a positive correlation between religion and morality, there is evidence of a negative correlation.

There is this interesting fact that states Atheist has less prison cases than Christians, (www.holysmoke.org...)

I'd keep going but you "should" get the point by now.

Similar studies show atheists as happier, wealthier and wiser also.

I'm sure you can figure out how to use google in the time it would take you to post "lets see them".

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Yawn.

Again, thanks for priving my point AGAIN.

Can't help but to argue can you? LOL - pride..

Let's see if you can understand basic concepts behind the 10 commandments before going any further than that.

start off simple - remember, just like in 3rd grade?

What was the point I proved?

I am asking you which set of commandments.

Did you not know there was 2?

Thanks for proving MY point again.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Bias much - Atheists saying they are more moral than other people of religious faiths - Well done! Solid "C-" material here.

The studies just happen to be referred to in this book.

Should I say "Ahhh...the bible again" every time you try and reference it?

Youre not helping your case any. Really.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
The links I provided are probably not the same ones in the book I mentioned. But either way stop being lazy. The answer to life universe and everything is not "god". You can find the book online as easily as I did.

Seems like you just want the answer handed to you without having to work for it. That my friend is probably one of the seven sins.

Just because you got handed a bible and told it contained all the answers does not mean it is true. It also doesnt mean I will just hand everything to you knowing you wont "peruse" them anyway. I gave you enough info to find them on your own.

show me youre serious and at least semi-intelligent (prays).

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   

The studies just happen to be referred to in this book.

Should I say "Ahhh...the bible again" every time you try and reference it?

Youre not helping your case any. Really.

No demonstratable knowledge of the word BIAS. Chrstians can use the bible to help them sound happier and "wiser" etc etc.. Tehy can also use "atheist" writings so support their own ideas.. Funny little fella arent you!

Do you base being happy on being wise and wealthy? interesting? not everyone hungers for money like an atheist might..

lol - you proved my point that you are a hypocrite. You respond to posts after making comments like "won't respond" and "won't read" - a liar and a hypocrite you are.

Try pointing the finger less and eating humble pie more!

Flaws in your argument are apparent in your responses, though i doubt you re-read your posts with a sense of bettering them, merely admiring your own intellect. Fascinating specimen you are.

You give atheists a bad name.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
You didnt read anything in that short a time. Get serious.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Flaws in your argument are apparent in your responses

So apparent that you havent been able to point a single one out.

Instead your replies consist of "try understanding the 10 commandments" and "bias much?"

You're not that fascinating. In fact youre as unintelligent as any other theist I have come across.

You dont make any points yet keep claiming you have.

You have typed nothing of substance. Yet you think you have.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   

The links I provided are probably not the same ones in the book I mentioned. But either way stop being lazy. The answer to life universe and everything is not "god". You can find the book online as easily as I did.

Seems like you just want the answer handed to you without having to work for it. That my friend is probably one of the seven sins.

Just because you got handed a bible and told it contained all the answers does not mean it is true. It also doesnt mean I will just hand everything to you knowing you wont "peruse" them anyway. I gave you enough info to find them on your own.

show me youre serious and at least semi-intelligent (prays).

A praying atheist??

Also, i have read mountains of this kind of info previously - mentioned by other atheists, all of which proved nothing more than a personal opinion based on biased information from a biased perspective - oh well.

Again, just keep it coming mate, i wonder when you will realise that you should have given up days ago...

Pride get's in your way i suppose... that much is evident.

Lol - Atheist hypcrite proves hypocracy in own statements.. GG!

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join