It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian Missionaries Desperately Trying to Leave Haiti!

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Sorry people when i see clinton and the bush on either side of barrack nussein obamma, i begin to wonder, as in , why would a usa aircraft carrier be right off the coast ready to go into Haiti??? the Usa has interfered in this country many times before, so now they wish to make them sevles out to being the good guys, but we know, hopefully that Cuba offered help, as did veneuela and hugos russian crew this is the reason the us crew is in there and this is if they did not create it in the first placew with the haarp aas they did the the china thing, katrina and Ike.my 3 cents

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mykahel
reply to post by JahKinG SouLJaH

So the true messenger of God has no stomach to fill? Even if I am grossly misunderstanding your statement, it doesn't make any sense at all. Many of the Old Testament Prophets required sustenance from the people they spoke to. Paul had a job where he earned money outside of his preaching, trying to set an example to the lay people not to be lazy as well as helping them get started as the church was small and poor. God is not impractical. God made us to need certain things, why would His servant need them any less?

Am I going to demand from somebody that they pay me simply because I shared the Gospel with them? No, that's just stupid really. But if a body of believers is expecting me tend to their needs upwards of 50 hours a week, I would have to be paid in order to live. I don't share the word expecting to be paid back later, my reward will be in Heaven. This I know.

[edit on 16-1-2010 by Mykahel]

Who has convinced you that teaching people about Jesus, ministering to people, or just being there for a person in compassion should have a price?
I'm sorry brother but I truly believe that you have been deceived. These gifts that we have been given freely should absolutely be given to others freely as well.

If you decide to give yourself and your knowledge to others in order that they may experience a sense of peace, a gift which may encourage them to know where your peace came from without a price tag and banging them on the head with a Bible as an act of bartering for food or shelter, or simply a kind word. Then you have followed a path that you have chosen freely and you have done a Christian thing.

Taking money in order to minister does not make one a minister, it makes one a prostitute. Make your hobby ministering to those who have need, it will show your true heart, remove the temptation of pride, and lift the burden of commerce and taxation from the desperate people reaching out to you in their own ignorance that you are a Minister of Christ.

In other words you need to get a day job and test yourself, work a full day doing something, anything, and at the end of the day when you are worn out and in need of rest - take that time to go out and minister to the people who need you. But never ever charge them for it, it disgraces Christianity and makes you a whore.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
The missionaries from anglo-saxon countries are a big problem in many countries. It's a good thing they left Haiti.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeanne75018
The missionaries from anglo-saxon countries are a big problem in many countries. It's a good thing they left Haiti.

So you mean that missionaries are a problem because they are Christians? Yes, in Islamic countries they are killed because of their religion.
In Haiti they were in danger because of the living conditions and lack of basic supplies to stay alive.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
props to the OP, you're right on....
personal story: in the middle of an ice storm here a LONG time ago, my uncle and his christian buddies decided it would be a good idea to go to mexico and build a BAPTIST church in one of the most impoverished areas. i always wondered why they didn't use the money and materials to improve those peoples situation instead of trying to impose their religion on them....good christians, i tell ya....

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by I.C. Weiner
props to the OP, you're right on....
personal story: in the middle of an ice storm here a LONG time ago, my uncle and his christian buddies decided it would be a good idea to go to mexico and build a BAPTIST church in one of the most impoverished areas. i always wondered why they didn't use the money and materials to improve those peoples situation instead of trying to impose their religion on them....good christians, i tell ya....

That's because Christians are nice and Christianity teaches love for mankind.
Since it is illegal in Islamic countries these Christians must pay a jizya (tax for protection) because they will be killed because of their religious beliefs. What a shame.
In Haiti, these missionaries were just in need of a safe location, not a what will is like a warzone.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by voodmon
Sorry people when i see clinton and the bush on either side of barrack nussein obamma, i begin to wonder, as in , why would a usa aircraft carrier be right off the coast ready to go into Haiti??? the Usa has interfered in this country many times before, so now they wish to make them sevles out to being the good guys, but we know, hopefully that Cuba offered help, as did veneuela and hugos russian crew this is the reason the us crew is in there and this is if they did not create it in the first placew with the haarp aas they did the the china thing, katrina and Ike.my 3 cents

Seriously? You think the U.S. created this Earthquake using HAARP? You certainly have an active imagination...

And you also think that the reason the U.S. is providing assistance is to make us look better? You do realize that 200,000+ people are thought to be dead there right? You realize that thousands more are trapped in the rubble, right? Does there always have to be a hidden agenda? Maybe, just maybe, there is no conspiracy here. Maybe we are helping because we care about humanity and any help we can provide, we will.

I have a question for all those who are saying these missionaries are hypocrits... Have you donated to the effort? What are you doing to help?

I'm finding this thread pretty damn hard to stomach. Some of the responses make me sick. What the hell has happened to our humanity?

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Anamnesis

i have no money, so donation is out of the question - besides that, throwing money at a problem doesn't make it go away. if i had a way to go down there and help pull people out of the rubble i would - why didn't the missionaries stay there and do the same?

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
So let me get this straight - people are criticizing Christians for not martyring themselves? That's like saying Muslims should bomb innocents because that's what a strict interpretation of their holy book dictates. I can't help but chuckle at these people sitting on their asses in front of a computer criticizing people who were in Haiti at least trying to get something accomplished without getting their heads chopped off.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I live in Dallas and I know there were some United Methodist missionaries (from Dallas) in Haiti that were injured in the quake. Naturally, the UMC was trying desperately to get them home. How much good is an injured person going to be in helping other injured, lost, trapped, etc. people??

And by the way, they sent healthy people over there to replace the injured people coming back.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Before judging, we have to establish their age, maturity and if they were there as stand alone missionaries or on training. Do they have the resources. It is safe now etc etc.
Generally your comments are right, many run when they should stay. Many are religious more than Kingdom minded. 'Christian' is not a biblical term anyway and it certainly means nothing these days. Kingdom minded should be the terminology used.

My question is, what are YOU doing in the area you live for the poor and down and out. Are you out there helping. At least these people actually left home to go somewhere. What have you left?
Did you give up your job to help the homeless?
Did you spend 50% of your wages on those that need it?
Did you spend 5%????

Now when you can answer those questions for us, we can accept your critisizm of those leaving Haiti as appropriate as I suspect there's a huge plank in your mouth.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by factbeforefiction
When I saw this on the news, several times, it made me sick. Approximately 150 Christian Missionaries stranded at the airport with passports in hand trying to get out of Haiti.

As a Christian myself things like this really piss me off. I'm talking about posers, pretend Christian wannabees going on exotic vacations and calling it mission work, rather than helping the poor within ten miles of any church right here in the states. And then when an Earthquake actually hits, while they're right there, instead of actually doing ministerial work delivered to their doorstep by God himself - these pretend Christian wannabees turn tale and run.

Like I said, as a Christian this makes me sick and all I can say is to promise the non-Christian people out there that most Christians are not all hypocritical pretend pat me on the back for the good that I say I do frauds like these people.

I can see if someone needs to get children out of harms way to have one person take them back, but the others in the group could stay.

Of note these fake Christians should be contrasted against the real Christians like the Salvation Army and others who are mobilizing with all types of aid and have been from the beginning. Like I said, don't let the ones who run away and talk the talk cast doubt on the ones who stay and walk the walk.

There are hypocrites in every group but nobody is more offended by it then the ones in the group who are true.

Oh just stop it.

As a Christian myself things like this really piss me off. - factbeforefiction

Pissed you off to the point where you had to right this terrible wrong. And how did you do that? You ran to your computer to express your outrage with the shortcomings of others. That was very Christian of you. Whatever the truth is, they were there and you were not. Get your hypocritical tail in gear and go do what you blame them for not doing. You were just looking for some trash to post as a thread and you found it. Praise the Lord!!!

And then when an Earthquake actually hits, while they're right there, instead of actually doing ministerial work delivered to their doorstep by God himself - these pretend Christian wannabees turn tale and run. - factbeforefiction

Thank you Pat "I love to hate on Haitians" Robertson. That's what God was up to, crushing superstitious voodoo people under buildings to pave the way for others into his good graces. Actually God was causing earthquakes so that you could finger the "pretend Christian wannabees". It was really all about you. Wait, did I forget to S&F this thread? That is what it's all about isn't it?

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by watcher73
So the question, why are xtians running from Haiti?

A couple theories have been proposed:

They are all hypocrites.

They arent there to help, but to make converts.

For evidence we have the ops original post being a hypocrite and several others afterwards also. We have a few xtians who have cut and run from this thread, let alone any real hardship.

Nothing has been said in opposition to the convert statement. I think we can all agree that its universally true of all religions.

So to summarize, the missionaries are leaving Haiti because its in their nature to run and they werent really there to help anyone but themselves.

You seem to be able to communicate fairly well and you appear to be able to offer a cogent reply on occasion, so I'll assume that you are engaging in selective idiocy.

1) There was a link provided for you that showed a Christian that is clearly doing EXACTLY what you claimed Christians don't do. So much for your blanket statements.

2) Someone offered the suggestion that these missionaries were in fact teens that were being returned home. Have you any proof that this is not the case?

3) You are using the perceived actions of a few to assign motive to the many. How many missionaries are still in Haiti running hospitals, shelters and food banks? Any idea? Didn't think so.

4) Haiti is already a Christian nation. Close to 100% of the population in Haiti claim to be Christian. Still think that the missionaries were there for proselytizing? But that's already been pointed out and you ignored it then, so you'll probably ignore it here as well. Inconvenient truth and all.

By the way, you're exegesis is atrocious. It seems like that year you skipped would have been better spent working on both the rudiments of critical thinking and Biblical literacy (seeing as how obsessed you seem to be).

Eric

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
It seems this thread has been severely derailed! I only read the OP and I'm only responding to the OP.

I'm not a Christian but I know a family serving as missionaries in Haiti. The mother came back with their babies and the father stayed to work. I personally don't see anything wrong with this, and I think you really come off as unnecessarily harsh. If it was you over there with your wife and babies would you do anything differently?

I doubt it.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by daggyz
Before judging, we have to establish their age, maturity and if they were there as stand alone missionaries or on training. Do they have the resources. It is safe now etc etc.
Generally your comments are right, many run when they should stay. Many are religious more than Kingdom minded. 'Christian' is not a biblical term anyway and it certainly means nothing these days. Kingdom minded should be the terminology used.

My question is, what are YOU doing in the area you live for the poor and down and out. Are you out there helping. At least these people actually left home to go somewhere. What have you left?
Did you give up your job to help the homeless?
Did you spend 50% of your wages on those that need it?
Did you spend 5%????

Now when you can answer those questions for us, we can accept your critisizm of those leaving Haiti as appropriate as I suspect there's a huge plank in your mouth.

The answer to all of your questions of me is ... Yes. But to clarify, I spend 90% - so the 5 and 50 are inclusive. And also yes to the first one, I did give up my job to help the homeless.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   

"Has anyone ever noticed how chicks seem to be more nitpickey about stuff?" - factbeforefiction

I mean is it me or what? There seems to be some kind of mutant gene in chicks that...

A: Have to complain, and...

B: Will only rag on a guy they think will not leave them - like their dad or some loser boyfriend or husband. Otherwise they could never get away with it.

Ohhhh... Guess I discovered THAT secret, aye ladies. - factbeforefiction

The threads and ramblings of a true Christian. We can see that your heart and mind are in the right place. Here's your thread for a refresher:

Has anyone ever noticed how chicks seem to be more nitpickey about stuff?

But wait, it gets better. This thread of yours is so much more Christian:

Mouthy Chicks

This chick I'm with - she's pushing 40 - and all of a sudden after a great night of food and fun, she turns on a dime and start's whining about how she hasn't talked to her "Girls" in 15 years. I'm like baby, nobody stays in contact with the people they went to high school with, and she's like "no, it's all your fault." I've only even known the girl for a few years... WTF?

And then she's going on about how there is nobody she would rather be with in any way than her girls. So I say in any way, what do you mean by that? And the she says "Oh, yes I'm a lesbian, a lesbian." And I'm like, baby I didn't say that, but is that what you mean?

Blah blah blah - drunk fookin beech. Why can't they just say no when you ask them straight up? Instead they will say the exact opposite... Oh yes, I'm a lesbian...

Am I nut's or is this chick like total psycho? - factbeforefiction

You leave this trail of misogynist ramblings and then expect the other posters to believe you live a "Christian" life? Perhaps you do lead a Christian life if that encompasses describing the woman you're shacking up with as a "drunk fookin beech", fingering hypothetical hypocritical missionaries and lying about spending 90% of your wages and giving up your job for the homeless. Although that "drunk fookin beech" could be homeless and how would we know? You should apologize to Christians. You are a phony.

This one is too sweet:

A Call to End Religious Intolerance on ATS

At virtually any given time you can find a thread deliberately established for the soul purpose of mocking the religious beliefs of some group of people. Though it is clear to see that many of these threads are created for the purpose of trolling, these Trolls who promote this form of intolerance are truly violating not only the terms of ATS but the very spirit of ATS.

Legitimate questions about the religious beliefs of others are posed in a respectful tone , not in a tone of mockery or accusation accompanied by words such as hypocrite, liar, warmonger, or any other defamation designed specifically to invoke negative connotation.

Any moderator that allows this type of trolling and intolerance should be removed from their position as moderator, as this form of intolerance is no less abusive, offensive, and vicious than any other type of assault. I sincerely hope that the members and staff of ATS will in the interest of harmony and cooperation put and end to this injustice immediately. - factbeforefiction

You are the troll. Trolling for stars and flags. You had the nerve with your first thread to attack the moderators? Quite a pair for a Christian! The reason there is little religious tolerance on ATS is due to hypocritical posters. Remind you of anyone? It is in fact you who is "mocking the religious beliefs" of Christians with this thread. Do you have something against Christians? What's your game? Other than trolling for stars and flags? You can't have it both ways. You have called out missionaries, women and even the moderators on this board. I am calling you out. In my opinion you should cut your losses and move on. More lies will not help.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by factbeforefiction

I am sorry, but the scriptures themselves read that a minister is to be paid for their work. I have worked jobs requiring manual labor before, and did so to pay for my college education so that I would be able to do the things I do. I agree that a good day of hard work is good for the soul, but to claim that a minister should be working 40 hours a week doing labor and then another 40 for the church is just unreasonable.

Being paid for my ministry does not make me a whore. If I demanded someone to pay me simply for helping them, yes, that would be wrong. I don't go to the hospital and tell the lady resting in her bed that she needs to pay me before I will pray with her, read scripture or just stay around and talk for a while.

It saddens me that you place your opinion of what a Christian is supposed to do over what the Word of God itself says. The church I serve in has even required that I do not get a second job to support my family as they want me developing my entire time to ministering to the people.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

You are the troll. Trolling for stars and flags. You had the nerve with your first thread to attack the moderators? Quite a pair for a Christian! The reason there is little religious tolerance on ATS is due to hypocritical posters. Remind you of anyone? It is in fact you who is "mocking the religious beliefs" of Christians with this thread. Do you have something against Christians? What's your game? Other than trolling for stars and flags? You can't have it both ways. You have called out missionaries, women and even the moderators on this board. I am calling you out. In my opinion you should cut your losses and move on. More lies will not help.

That had to be a lot of work, but you forgot the thread about douchebags who look up other peoples threads.

I'm thinking that maybe you didn't quite understand. You see somehow you seem to have gotten the idea that I was God or Jesus or something like that, I'm not. I'm a guy that frequently fails, says things I wished I hadn't, writes stupid things sometimes, and always have lived to regret it. In fact I've probably failed more than you have ever tried.

BUT

and this is the thing you're not going to like...

I am a Christian, which means I never stop trying to do better, no matter how many times I fall, fail, or come short - I always keep trying, and as long as I keep trying, he still loves me.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by JahKinG SouLJaH

This Jesus I am speaking of is the Son of God and he himself often sat down and ate with His disciples. I fail to see your logic or support for this theory that those who share the Gospel (Word of God), and not just this "light" as you call it, do not need any sort of physical nourishment.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join