It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confused by some members

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
(Genuine Question)

Urrmmm ok im a bit confused about something on this site and its rather annoying to be honest, I've been reading alot through ATS today (more so than usual) and every now and then I seem to come across a certain type of post where the user is saying stuff like this is a big disinfo site or everything you read here is #

But I can’t help thinking and asking myself and am I wrong in saying this but “why are people here and actively posting when they don’t like it?

Im genuinely confused by that I really don’t get it, if people don’t like what they are reading and/or the site itself then what are those people here for?

I’m genuinely confused by that I just don’t get the point of staying here and posting when you just don’t like it or seem to not like it.

btw I posted this therad in this forum (Questions & Information) because im asking the members a question but sorry if its in wrong forum still.

[edit on 15-1-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Imho, the nomenclature "disinformation" is one of the greatest conspiracies of all. There's no greater divisive word in the conspiracy community, for unattended it will inevitably lead to intellectual and communicative cannibalism.

First of all it is a contrived word devoid of all meaning ... the word 'information' has no opposite by definition. All there is is information ... some is valid, some isn't.

The word 'disinformation' implies intent, which is next to impossible to glean in the context of a forum ... nor is it really pertinent!

I too have been thinking a lot about this lately because of the wave of threads abounding in paranoia and veiled accusations as to who is posting what and why ... one of the mantras here is "address the post not the poster." Though on the surface it seems to be just a civility doctrine it is in fact much more substantive than that. By taking the person out of the equation the concept of 'disinformation' collapses.

It's really a more aggressive version and extension of the whole skeptic/believer fallacy. Without getting into the psychology too much, a fragile ego when confronted with facts which deconstruct its dogma will accuse another of 'disinformation' lest it take the time and effort required to change its mind ... and, it is plain lazy.

This is not to say that there isn't such a thing as people who intentionally post per agenda, some may be paid, some may be 'true believers,' and some could simply be misinformed. It makes ABSOLUTELY no difference ... the text on the screen is the same, and it is all that matters.

Heck, for some folks around here, fact checking, looking things up, and critical thinking, are the attributes of a 'disinfo agent' ... if those are the parameters, one should by all accounts wear the badge with pride.

I am actually worried about the momentum this attitude is taking ... if not checked, the site will suffer greatly.

[edit on 16 Jan 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Maybe because they have nothing better to do like me
. Other then that the reason they do so is so that their ego's can swell up as big as a hot air ballon and make other people's life as freakin miserable as possible.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
My answer might be too simplified, but, without differing points of view there would be no ATS.

People thrive on controversy, and this is a conspiracy relate site as well as a social network. Expect people to disagree with you, and expect the members to even be suspicious of the site itself.
ATS attracts all kinds, and it would be boring otherwise.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against
(Genuine Question)

Urrmmm ok im a bit confused about something on this site and its rather annoying to be honest, I've been reading alot through ATS today (more so than usual) and every now and then I seem to come across a certain type of post where the user is saying stuff like this is a big disinfo site or everything you read here is #

When someone proposes something, they need a source. But for some reason these # are allowed to just post telling people they are flat out wrong/crazy/stupid. What is up with that? And where is their source?

Aye I'm with you on this one RA.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I agree totally with schrodingers dog
People will believe what they want Ive noticed, and the minute a thread goes up, there are people who turn it into an instant joke. I just posted in a few of these and before I finished typing 3 jokes were put a. of me.

It kinda derails the thread instead of opening it up for discussion, people see the jokes, and feel its now comedy central. They dont add anything useful. Granted there are silly posts, but I have seen jokes in serious ones too.

The second is the tearing of shreds of whoever starts the thread, sometimes its like being in gradeschool. I even get nervous starting a thread, (that might be good tho).

Don't let it get to you, the only constant is change they say.

Peace

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

LOL....I just think these people are TOO paranoid, bored, or haven't been on ATS long enough to realize their fallacy. Either way I don't care because I don't read those threads anyways...

[edit on 1/15/2010 by jkrog08]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Reply to post by Rising Against

Some people like to be miserable. Some people like to join communities that they don't agree with for the ego boost they get from being surrounded by those they feel superior to. Some people like to complain. Some people like to rubber stamp label any information contrary to their stance as lies. Everybodies looking for something. Some of them want to abuse you. Some of them want to be abused by you.
You get the idea.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   

But I can’t help thinking and asking myself and am I wrong in saying this but “why are people here and actively posting when they don’t like it?

I think that people want to be here because they really want to gain access to truth regarding inconsistencies that are percieved in the mainstream media. And I don't think that is a new inclination. It's merely percieved as new because this is the first time in history when people can have, for all intents and purposes, real time interaction withdiffering perspectives from people from all around the world.

That said, disinformation is irrelevant if you filter how you interpret the information you interact with. But the majority of posters are interacting with the information they encounter in a reactive manner...which can be attributed to the varying levels of education and cognizance, in my opinion. Everyone does not have the same level of comprehension but we all want to be heard and perhaps it is easier for most to just write off the opinion that is not in agreement with their own rather than interact with the actual topic.

So I think what my ultimate point regarding this thread is that people want to interact here...but their initial expectations likely fail realization because of people with differing opinions...which results in a disillusion but without a loss of desire to get their opinion across...if that makes sense...

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   

This is not a dis info site this is one of the greatest sites on the net.

However there are agents bringing dis info into the forums and its only getting worse lately im sure its part of the Obsama deal going on. Be wise there not hard to pick out.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Been involved in debates during your school years or other ?

Did people make assertions or accusations, etc. with which you didn't agree ?

What did you do, oppose them or walk away ?

Did you support those with whom you were in agreement ?

Same in ATS or any other forum

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I find it HILLARIOUS when new members show up start telling the community what it can or cannot talk about then proceed to complain endlessly when no one gives into their demands after multiple attempts.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Some people are not mature enough to be members of ATS or take part in a productive discussion on the boards . The other important factor is that as ATS has grown more popular it has become a part of the perceived evil establishment which is why some members of the anti establishment crowd hate ATS so much .

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
All of the above posts are correct in some form or other.

I too am of the belief that general conspiracies just aren't enough for the completely delusional. Reading about mysteries and ppls opinions can't be just that. For the brain of the conspiracy nut is always searching for that next wrinkle (even if they have to create it).

For some, the conspiracy by itself will not do; they must add the conspiracy to the conspiracy to make the subject deeper and to give their own self worth a boost because they're in the know. It's completely retarted. ( Maybe I work for the CIA and I'm a disinfo agent???)

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Its fairly simple people have an inherent need for validation and part of that need for validation can and does include attempts to dominate others into validating them.

While we all imagine some things to be true and some things to be false those notions are subjective and based on perspective, context and circumstance.

There are many things that are simply accepted as being logical, truthful or sane through the sheer numbers of people who universally believe those qualities to be evident in things even though they might not be logical, truthful or sane.

We live in a society and a world where to a certain extent the majority rules and if the majority accepts certain things to be logical, accurate and sane they can use that momentum and force of their numbers to utilize peer pressure to apply towards those people who have that inherent craving for validation, and often the absolution that comes with it.

I am ok, you are ok, they are not ok, is basically that simple strategy employed.

As long as people lack the self confidence and or awareness to be themselves and say what they mean and mean what they say and seek out validation and safety in numbers there are always going to be those attempts by dominants in various herds to Sheppard you into that herd to validate themselves and bolster their numbers and their perceptions of might makes right born of the herd mentality.

Frankly I don’t worry or give such people or thoughts much consideration after all they don’t pay my rent or butter my bread, or leave presents under my Christmas tree, even though it would be very hard in the latter case since I never put one up!

Search out your own truths, live by your own code, have confidence and faith in your own abilities and you will always sleep well and know little remorse friend.

Now repeat after me, I will always only listen to Proto, Proto knows best for me and everyone, yeah though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil for I always listen to only Proto, Proto leadeth me to safe Internet pastures and comforts me with his Protoisms!

See that wasn’t so hard!

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Reply to post by spinalremain

We'll I'm not and I agree with you about some of them. Guess that means "they" got me with their brain ray! OH NOES! :LOL:

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain
Maybe I work for the CIA and I'm a disinfo agent???

You are.... and you know it! For crying out loud man... you work in the cubicle beside me!

Hey.. can you please return my eraser? Grrrrr!

IRM

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   

opinion contrary to your own is NOT disinformation - you may be wrong

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I wonder the same. If ATS is such a dis-info site, why even bother coming to it? Most of these people fit in one of about three classes:

1. They have no idea about what is going on in the world around them. (This applies to most ofthose whomake such claims, in my honest opinion.)

2. They, themself, are disseminating dis-info.

3. They are just posting to say that they posted something on a website.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   

(Genuine Question)

Im genuinely confused by that I really don’t get it, if people don’t like what they are reading and/or the site itself then what are those people here for?

I’m genuinely confused by that I just don’t get the point of staying here and posting when you just don’t like it or seem to not like it.

I agree. There are posters that definitely enjoy playing the role of The Antagonist. Whether this is by derailing a thread, attacking the OP (but not their views), or calling somebody in the thread a "DisInfo" agent. One would think it is much easier to just ignore threads started by people you don't like. It's saddening that ATS is becoming a place that tolerates these kind of posters.

[edit on 16/1/2010 by Dark Ghost]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join