It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychological disorders-choosing a diagnosis

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Hi all!

Im hoping for some insight here from the Psychological ATSers. I am getting ready to write my final paper in one of my classes and I am looking for thoughts from others on how to approach the given case.

I have to make a profile of a female, age 42, Hispanic woman, who works as an accountant. The only info I am given is that she keeps showing up to the medical clinic with trouble sleeping, feelings of 'jitter', and trouble focusing her attention at work. This was the only info I was given to go by.

This is a very vague run down of a case and I am unsure what disorder I want to do a profile on for the case.

My teacher said that there are many disorders that these symptoms can be a part of...and it wasnt the disorder that so much mattered but the follow up I give for why I chose the disorder.

I cant decide on what disorder I want to use!! Please give thoughts for me to help me decide before I write 1400 words on this case

I have thought about Borderline Personality Disorder, ADHD (even though she is an adult and I dont know if she had these symptoms as a child), anxiety, and even mabey a bi-polar case sense her symptoms could relate to 'manic' behavior in a small fashion. Substance abuse could even fit in here...but it is so hard to choose ONE when I know nothing else about the 'female'.

Any feedback will help me think more about this...so please add thoughts.

LV

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Inevitable breakdown of the human heart being removed from a potentially beautiful world syndrome because of working for the man.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Anxiety caused by depression and the resulting absence of responsiblity. She's 42 so the impending menopause is a possiblity, the hormone changes and lifestyle alterations to come might not be very welcome.

A pretty vague description for a final paper...

Isn't this classed as cheating?

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Could it be munchousens? (spelling is wrong, I know) but where they crave attention

maybe hystronic?

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
i would go with anxiety, too

and the follow-up might include preventative measures related to panic attacks, etc.

anxiety doesn't seem like such a big thing, on the surface, but these days it truly does rob many people of their potential, especially at the age of your hypothetical subject.

let us know what you decide and how you make out with your paper!

GOOD LUCK

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Could be allergies, electrical field exposure, chemical exposure. Before assuming it's in her head, one hopes a doctor would first eliminate external environmental factors, so it seems to me that the proper approach would be an interview aimed at establishing environmental factors, followed by blood screening if the results indicated a possibility of such factors being present. The blood screening should be checked for abnormal hormone factors as well, so as to eliminate menopause or physical illness.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Sendran

Well its not cheating, for there is no 'right' diagnosis being that the info given is so little.

It would be cheating if I asked you to write the paper for me. There is plenty of info I will have to look up for the disorder I choose....all of the 'work' will come from me.

If there was only 'one' right answer....I wouldnt be asking on the forum. I thought, since I have taken 2 whole days now to think about this...and still have not made a choice....mabey I could get some insight from others.

But thanks for your thoughts...interesting thoughts of her age and possible depression.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Sex addiction

Oh OK sensible 2nd line - Some sort of addiction - Pain killers? Drink? Take your pick.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
The obvious choice is an anxiety disorder of some sort.

If you want bells and whistles, go for PTSD (assuming you can frame it as further investigation showing past trauma).

[edit on 15-1-2010 by melatonin]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Speaking as a counselor, I am going to hope this is just a overview type paper and not something based on real life diagnostic techniques because as one should know... A diagnosis is not made simply from physical symptoms...

Having said that, I would go with acute sleep, acute stress, anxiety, adjustment disorder or chemical dependency for the paper.

[edit on 15-1-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I was really disturbed that I had a final on such little info. If I am going to have to put so much work into something, I would like to have more to go by. This final was a really big let down for me really. But I guess that is the point...of making the profile in a way that I will have to set up further questions that will help narrow if my choice is something that could work or not.

It really could be many disorders....for so many disorders share the same symptoms. Just trying to narrow it down to one I would want to write about I guess, going on the little info (which really really sucks imo).

Even though Psy. is what I am studying...I have never been a fan of 'labels'. Mabey that is why I am having trouble chooses ONE label for such a case that shows no for sure signs of ONE disorder.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

It is more of a profile, that I would use...if I was going to seek a disorder out for this 'female'. Set up with how I would conduct the interview, further questions, further observasations, possible treatments ect....as well as a feild of theory...such as biological, cognitive ect. That is where the work will come in for me.

My teacher said to me (when I fussed about the little info) that it wasnt so much my choice of disorder, but how I supported it throughout the paper.

Still I thought....how do I support such a thing with 3 symptoms!!

A little frustrated here...but still I must do the work.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
OK, on rereading...

An example of something closer to what I know is having a brief on a neuro patient with certain physical, behavioural, and psychological signs and symptoms. In the assessment the student is expected to give a run down of the major potential disorders, and outline how they would differentiate between them.

That makes more sense than what you have here. But, hey, not my paper.

ABE: I think the give-away is that you can have 'further observations'. So you have three symptoms to start. As a clinician, just outline how you would investigate etc methinks and what you might find. Frame it according to the diagnosis and the paradigm you decide on.

[edit on 15-1-2010 by melatonin]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

Aha. That makes more sense to me.

I understand the frustration, but this paper could be really interesting depending on how you approach it. Here's the good news: The symptoms are quite broad, which means you could tie them into just about ANY disorder... My advice: Choose a disorder in which you are personally very interested in. Set your paper up such that the interviewing, testing, diagnostics, etc. conclude with the determination of said disorder. At the very least, you will be working with one that you find interesting and that will show in the paper.

Good luck!

P.s. Are you doing clinicals too? That's even more difficult/but fun... Lol

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

That is good advice Lady, about just picking a disorder that interests me.

I am just now finishing my associate degree...I haven't decided if I want to keep going for psy or not. I do love it...but find it hard going back to school at my age. Im unsure if I could pull off another 2 or 4 or 6 years of school.

I would like to direct it with spiritual counseling...but just am unsure all the same.

Right now, just happy to have some sort of degree that could help me with people in general. I know I want to work around others...and not in some cubical. Im kinda on the down side emotionally about further school and I know that is not the kind of attitude I need. Its been really hard going back while raising 3 kids.

That whole 'I can do it' attitude has faded recently....I guess I am just soaking up the fact that I never thought I would even have the chance to go back to school at all and am just glad for this bit for now. I feel like Im at a yo yo stage....my thoughts jump back and forth about continuing.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
They say it takes one to know one. Here is my take:

Geralized Anxiety Disorder. As boring as an accountants job is, it is very stressful reporting with great accuracy to her superiors.

Probably has an alcoholic addiction to deal with the stress.

I brought my GAD on by drinking heavily at one time for serious work and health stress. Alcohol adds fuel to the flames of anxiety sufferers and it becomes the hardest darn thing to confront and deal with.

Now I'm two cents poorer.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeoVirgo
Hi all!

I have to make a profile of a female, age 42, Hispanic woman, who works as an accountant. The only info I am given is that she keeps showing up to the medical clinic with trouble sleeping, feelings of 'jitter', and trouble focusing her attention at work. This was the only info I was given to go by.

This is a very vague run down of a case and I am unsure what disorder I want to do a profile on for the case.
LV

Normally the medical profession would not go to such lengths to examine the case like this... its usual to give the person a little bit of paper with a medication such as effaxor any of the typical SSRI on the market - which ever the doctor has the corporate logo on the most items on his desk.

the medical solution to the problem is like this: car goes into garrage with Oil warning light keep flashing all the time, driver says to Dr Mechanic " i just cant focus on the road any more doctor, and i get this weird red flashing sensation in my vision - and it seems worse while driving a night, the flashing seems much brighter and more intense. so much i cant drive at night. I feel irritated all the time i cant focus like i used to

"The car seems ok , maybe running a bit hot, but nothing else, its just me Dr, i cant focus, i feel irritated and gerrrrr, i im not myself. this red flashing light is just driving me slowly crazy i think Dr, what can i do.. the guys over at ATS say it may be something to do with HAARP? but i dont know -can you help me."

Dr Mechanic says ok leave the car with me and I'll have a look. Lady comes back later collects the car " did you find the problem Dr, mechanic: "we're not sure, but we come across this problem day after day, its very common, and the only cause we can figure is there is this red light in the dash, it seems to be connected to your disorder somehow, we just think its getting over saturated with electrons, this is what studies of the bulb has shown,.

we dont actually know if its got over saturation of electrons or too little, either way its the electrons causing it too. so after a lot of research and double blind plasibo tests we concluded that when we REMOVE the red bulb the problem does go away and out clients soon find that all the symptoms of seeing the red flashing light and feeling irritable or lapse in concetration, and inability to drive at night; all these problems go away.

ITs Genius Huh. Modern science, I tell you its advancing so fast. Anyway I do hope this works well for you lady, heres the keys... Lady says: are there any downsides i should worry about? Dr: No its fine trust me im a Dr,. look if it wasnt safe I would do it, and if my daughter brought her car to me with the same problem, id do the same for her". "Oh thanks Dr, so ur sure its ok, (yes now go,) so nothing to worry about are you sure sure?

Dr: "yes its tested in extensive research that concludes that the bulb and the electrons are the problem. " [No side effects?? dr) well be do get loads of people comming in with cars blowing up and overheating so much these days, but thats totally unrelated, and its different people. So trust me its safe, now take your keys and go."

Lady drives away and soon all her symptoms seems to have gone. wow much better.

[edit on 15-1-2010 by mikeg2222]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I know I am not responding to all the posts individually...but I want you all to know I appreciate the feedback. Im really only getting my feet wet in this whole psy field of things and you all are helping me see how its not so much the choice I make, but the general direction I go in from there. As much as I dont like to choose just one 'label' to work with, it is a requirement of this assignment.

I think I will work with general anxiety and relate questions that would show up any depression issues, personality issues, and cognitive thinking issues. I will also ask a question that pertains to substance use. I wont receive answers to my questions...but Im trying to see how this assignment is having purpose. Im guessing the purpose is more of what am I ruling out, by choosing the direction of lets say 'anxiety'. I am going to try to include my reasons for my questions being that I am making sure that the anxiety is not related to another disorder, and the anxiety itself is not just a symptom of another disorder. Anxiety is not what interests me the most...but I feel it is the disorder I would have the most to work with. 1400 word min. required.

I dont like assignments where I feel like I am BSing my way through it...this seems so inappropriate for a final paper. I wish I just had some background info of the 'female'. In real life, there is no way that a profile would be made on such little info....is there?? I would really think not, which is why I find the whole paper inappropriate. I would like to be more challenged in depth on a certain disorder. I would feel better about talking of treatments and theories if I just knew a little more.

Mabey Im just being silly and stubborn, idk...its like I am being rebellious against the requirements.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
In all honesty, the more and more I ponder on this...the more I think this assignment just sucks.

I will do it..but I dont like it at all. I have had to write many papers...and none of them have been this vague.

I wish I could give my teacher the flame throwing face. Thanks for letting me rant a bit through this thread.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

I dont like assignments where I feel like I am BSing my way through it...this seems so inappropriate for a final paper. I wish I just had some background info of the 'female'. In real life, there is no way that a profile would be made on such little info....is there?? I would really think not, which is why I find the whole paper inappropriate. I would like to be more challenged in depth on a certain disorder. I would feel better about talking of treatments and theories if I just knew a little more.

Mabey Im just being silly and stubborn, idk...its like I am being rebellious against the requirements.

Uh boy... First, take a deep breath. Lol

Now, remember that this is second year Psy. undergraduate work. Basic theory and overview is really all that you will be getting... those damn general education credits. They suck. I know. If you choose to go further (B.S. M.S.) it will become more and more specialized. Upper division courses will be better, but to be frank... Not until graduate school did I get the hands on, in depth, real life actual experiences and deeper education that you are talking about.

Also, it's worth bearing in mind that a lot of what makes up the "social" sciences (Psy. Counseling, SW, etc.) is going to be arbitrary and on a spectrum. Very little black and white/cause and effect. It drove me nuts, until I simply accepted that sometimes you just won't know the "cause" of something(s) and sometimes you can only treat the symptoms... very hard to wrap my head around, still is at times. For those who are "doers, fixers" it can be frustrating until one learns how to deal with things that sometimes cannot be fixed, explained or even fully controlled.

P.s.
Stick it out. I mean really, what do you have to lose? Regardless of whether you are in school or not, the years will pass, so why not continue with what you are interested in?

[edit on 15-1-2010 by LadySkadi]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join