It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any other cake decorators out there?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
My wife and I started doing this a couple of years ago, mostly for family and friends (which is a pretty big network these days)… My mother does it professionally, and has for many, many years, so we learned some tips from her, but mostly it’s practice.

If you go to the link, go to Pics, Albums, Cakes, and you can see some of the cakes we’ve done. Some are more simple, others are more complex…

Eventually, we hope to learn some more complex borders, piping, and flower-making.

www.myspace.com...

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Well not exactly ....

But by a staggering coinkidinkie my wife an I run a cake decoration tasting/evaluating focus group AND it is free of charge.

So if you need, you know, feedback don't hesitate to send some cakes our way ...

Edit to add: Just saw the pics ... wow, that is actually terrific work, I bet it must also be quite fun. Well done G.

[edit on 15 Jan 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Thanks, I'll just upload some pics here, once I can do so...need to resize, etc.
It is a lot of fun, but a lot of work too, and here in FL, sometimes, the heat can play havoc on the process...especially if an outdoor cake

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Oh wow! That bride cake is stunning and if i ever get married lol i think im going to have you make me that
that's so perfect!

It is something i have thought about doing but as of yet have never tried, So at some point i think i will have a go! You and your wife have great skills!

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Those rooms AND cakes are adorable and amazing.

If you ever expand your business to a form where I could order one, let me know.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Thanks, the big problem with both is the same...finding those willing to pay decently for the time involved...(and I'm actually pretty cheap, super cheap, in fact, in comparison to any competition...., but the cakes and murals are really just side gigs... we don't have a shop setup to do cakes on any scale, and we have 9-5 jobs for a steady income, so we're limited as to when we can do either (cakes or murals))....

Still though, we usually get at least one gig a month or so, that allows for some extra coming in....though more cakes than murals...

Last month, we had one small mural project (very small, painting a mini-fridge to look like an old west bank safe), and 3 cakes though...and this month, 2 cakes, and one very small mural project (updating some pirate/mermaid photo cutout standups I did previously, so the pics are different this year)...

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
WOW! Just WOW!
I tried to make one of the barbie doll cakes for my daughter but it turned out nowhere close to yours!
STUNNING! and no doubt delish.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I really really enjoy making my kids birthday cakes. I have a need to be creative, if I don't get it out every once in a while I will go stark raving mad. Here are a few of mine.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6f0aa12866ef.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/803d366f8e98.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/76e6cf77ddd0.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e9769597d98e.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Can anyone tell me how to shrink my pics please?

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Open them in MSPaint or another image program, then use edit functions to resize the image... Reducing it down by percentage is the easiest way...then save as a new file (so you still have the larger one)...and post the reduced pic.

EDIT: If I can offer a few tips for all, as I've learned throughout the process:

1) Michaels and some other craft stores sell cakeboards and colored foils to use on them, (I used tin foil too, a lot in the beginning), but it really steps it up a notch.

2) When icing a cake (it used to really drive me crazy with crumbs), best to trim it, then freeze it a bit (not solid, but put the layers in the freezer for about an hour). Then, take it out, assemble, and then ice it very thinly, just to kind of cement it together, and put back in the freezer for another hour or so). Then, when you're ready to ice it in whatever color, you won't have the issue with cake crumbs getting in the frosting. (the professional lingo is "crumb-coating" the cake). I loved this tip (learned after helping out my mother in the shop one day)...

3) Wilton makes tubes of colored icing that can use professional tips and couplers (sold at Michaels, etc.). Really can help cut down on mixing a lot of colors. You probably already know this, but throwing it out there.

It's cool to see other ATS'ers doing this! So much more meaningful than a cake bought at the store (and tastier too).....

[edit on 28-1-2010 by Gazrok]

[edit on 28-1-2010 by Gazrok]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Absolutely no offense meant, but my (lack of) religion states that cake is merely a vehicle to carry the icing.

My wife occasionally makes us a vat of butter cream icing and brings it out with two spoons. It's the closest thing to heaven with clothes on.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Ok hopefully this will be better sized pics...I couldnt for the life of me find the edit button so I'm sorry to repost.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/319a7de010b4.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/34f605c9cdf0.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e577e680bbc1.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/195bb1f3f5a3.jpg[/atsimg]

I know how bad cake crumbs can be...I have learned over the years to freeze my cakes as well and it makes it sooooooooo much eaisier to ice. I am usually on a tight budget when it comes to my kids birthdays so tin foil it is, sometimes I have white paper I use then I wrap it up with plastic wrap to keep the cake from sticking to it.
I didn't know about the icing tubes though thats pretty cool. Of course with me it all comes down to budget. Usually thers no budge so I may just have to keep on mixin. Thanks for the tidbits and btw, you cakes are beautiful!

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Well, you do a great job also, and I'm sure the people in your life really appreciate the personal touch of the custom cake! Keep it up!

Another good resort for covering boards...wrapping paper (but thick stuff)...works great too. If you have any tips, feel free to share.

Seems you've got the spatula in hot water thing for smoothing the icing. (nice because you can get the look of fondant, with the taste of buttercream)...

Easy tip too...to make your own custom fillings, simply mix 2 boxes of any flavored Jello pudding mix you like (white chocolate is almost always a hit), with heavy whipping cream until you get the desired consistency... You can even mix fruit in if you like. (and there is almost zero difference between preserves and fancy fruit fillings...just get seedless ones)...

[edit on 29-1-2010 by Gazrok]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Here's a neat site that shows both the good and the bad of cake decorating.

Some amazing cakes there..

linky

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
That "Stewie" cake is amazing...

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Just check out these russian cakes.

Amazing..

russian cakes

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Wow, some of those are incredible!

Shows a great use of the edible rice paper for photos, too, on some of those cakes. Fondant is incredible for decorating, I just wished it tasted better...

Hopefully, we'll find some time soon to update the photos of some other cakes we've done since. We're working on a Pirate Ship cake tonight/tomorrow, that will hopefully come out pretty cool, but as always, when doing something new, it's an experiment...hehe....

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Man...so, a couple of nights ago, we're making the pirate ship cake... We get all four layers carved and assembled, with fillings, etc., and just before my wife finished the under-icing for the whole shape, she somehow managed to knock it on the floor!!!

It was toast...beyond repair. All of it was put in the trash. Had to start anew.

I came up with several alternative ideas...(like using the extra cake we had from the carving to make a smaller ship and add an island, etc.), but they were shot down.

Finally, (it was 10:30 at night, and we didn't have time to bake more cake layers), we decided on a work-around. We went to Walmart and bought two layer cakes, and then scraped off the crap icing they use. We then reassembled the layers (though now with icing vs. fillings), and re-carved, re-iced it. Was pretty much as good as new. (well, it was new, really)... I worked also on making the masts (wooden dowels, painted black), sails (white fondant, using icing dye to paint a design on them), fondant portholes and cannon covers, and we used a fondant back with those grid-shaped pretzels for windows.

Last night, we decorated, adding the wood-looking icing for the deck and sides, and assembled all the elements together, using blue-colored piping gel for the water (and adding a few gummy sharks down in the water). For cannons, we used pirouette cookie sticks (hollow out the tip a little), and they looked perfect.

It all came off pretty well, despite the disaster, so I'll post some pics of it very soon. (just finished it last night)...

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Sweet cakes!!! My friend Kelly and I started making cakes. It all started with the cake she made for my bday. We have made 6 cakes in the last 2 months. A friend of mine referred us to a friend of hers who needs a wedding cake! I made my friend a cake for her birthday last weekend. I love the fondant!! We have all kinds of supplies but a fondant roller would be great and it would save my arms lol I will load the pics of the cakes we made. We never made cakes before either lol

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Here is a link to my media on ATS. The pics are too pic to post in here.
media.abovetopsecret.com...&action=list_photos

The first one was a DL cake. A friend of ours turned 21 and there is an inside joke about ID's with her so we made her a DL cake...lol The pink one was for her too. This cake is red velvet with butter cream frosting.
The pink cake was a checkered strawberry and vanilla cake with homemade butter cream. We almost killed her mixer making that..lol We need bigger equipment!

The 3 cakes together were made for a friends baby shower. They are vanilla, chocolate and strawberry cakes all with different flavored butter cream frosting.

I have to look for the pics of the other cakes. I have them somewhere.

I really enjoy making the cakes. It's like art! I dont want people to eat them! lol

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join