It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British newspaper slams Russia Today as "propaganda"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
www.independent.co.uk...

Russians are coming, but with news or propaganda?

On Russia Today, it was the Brits who were under fire, from shouty American financial journalist Max Keiser. “[Gordon] Brown is very high-minded in his attempts to fight terrorism around the world, but when it comes to financial terrorism he’s doing nothing,” he told viewers of The Keiser Report in an attack on bankers, before accusing the BBC’s most famous rottweiler of being a government patsy. “Jeremy Paxman put out the corporate line? he’s got a huge soapbox with his newscast. Will people see through the propaganda of Jeremy Paxman?”

Kevin Bakhurst, controller of the BBC News channel, takes the view that impartiality elsewhere helps to make the BBC’s offering stand out. “It’s a much more interesting landscape now for audiences. France 24 and RT have got very obviously defined agendas?choice is a really good thing. But whatever Sky ends up doing, the core for the BBC remains impartial TV news. That is our main selling point around the world,” he said.

RT, in particular, has been raising its profile in recent weeks by being deliberately contentious. Traffic-bound British commuters have found themselves stuck in front of giant billboard posters showing American President Barack Obama morphing into Mahmoud Ahmedinajad, the Iranian leader, and the provocative question: “Who poses the greatest nuclear threat?” The ad is part of a campaign being run by Russia Today and banned by American airports. Another ad in the series shows a Western soldier merging with a Taliban fighter and asks: “Is Terror Only Inflicted by Terrorists?”

Russia Today, an English language service, was set up in 2005 to present a perspective from Vladimir Putin’s government as a counterbalance to Western global news organisations such as CNN and the BBC. Its editor-in-chief Margarita Simonyan claims that the Russian state “doesn’t at all” interfere with the output of the network’s journalists.

Well if you can't beat them with facts, it's better to try to destroy the messenger, right?

I have to say that RT has never ceased to amaze me. The Keiser Report is financial news at its best! He gives us the straight deal.

It's also crazy that the US and Britain has been banning the RT ads in the airports.

Their fascism will not stop people from waking up...

Oh yeah, here's the Keiser Report episode in question.

[edit on 15-1-2010 by seattletruth]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by seattletruth

russian media is becoming better and freer ,while western media becomes more and more like soviet state controlled media

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by seattletruth

hell yes for RT the sign that they are getting to them
keep it up guys

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by seattletruth
www.independent.co.uk...

Russians are coming, but with news or propaganda?

Traffic-bound British commuters have found themselves stuck in front of giant billboard posters showing American President Barack Obama morphing into Mahmoud Ahmedinajad, the Iranian leader, and the provocative question: “Who poses the greatest nuclear threat?” The ad is part of a campaign being run by Russia Today and banned by American airports. Another ad in the series shows a Western soldier merging with a Taliban fighter and asks: “Is Terror Only Inflicted by Terrorists?”

Absolutely brilliant and so true.

Good on the Russians

[edit on 15/1/10 by blupblup]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
here are the ads if you guys never got to see them

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by OpTiMuS_PrImE

Cheers mate...

We need more of these ads... they should be everywhere.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Just another reference point for trying to triangulate the truth.

All media is biased and no single source should be relied on.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
my my i guess the British empire never seems to learn eh?

the independent.co.uk ?

the same newspaper who were in favor in the bombing of iraq? and who were a strong supporter during bombing the of Yugoslavia serbia? and not mention they would defend the other side, any one that dares to question the Yugoslavia war independent newspaper would try to beat them in a question forum if i remember correctly.

So independent.co newspaper is nothing more then pure 100% propaganda

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
So - media source that is owned by Russian government and transmits news to people in other countries in foreign language is NOT a propaganda ,according to you???
Then why Russian government pays for it??

Just as Deny Arrogance said, all news sources are propaganda. If it is privately owned - it promotes interests of owners. If it is owned by government - it promotes interests of government.
So i do not know who owns Independent and whose propaganda it pushes, but it is 100 percent correct about Russia Today. Just to remind you - all privetely owned media sources critical of current Russian government were closed. By Russian government.
By the way:

"It will be a perspective on the world from Russia,"Margarita Simonyan, Russia Today's editor-in-chief and former Kremlin reporter, told a news conference Tuesday.

www.cbc.ca...
No. Not a propaganda.....

[edit on 15-1-2010 by ZeroKnowledge]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
So - media source that is owned by Russian government and transmits news to people in other countries in foreign language is NOT a propaganda ,according to you???
Then why Russian government pays for it??

Just as Deny Arrogance said, all news sources are propaganda. If it is privately owned - it promotes interests of owners. If it is owned by government - it promotes interests of government.
So i do not know who owns Independent and whose propaganda it pushes, but it is 100 percent correct about Russia Today. Just to remind you - all privetely owned media sources critical of current Russian government were closed. By Russian government.
By the way:

"It will be a perspective on the world from Russia,"Margarita Simonyan, Russia Today's editor-in-chief and former Kremlin reporter, told a news conference Tuesday.

www.cbc.ca...
No. Not a propaganda.....

just so u know everyone is getting tired and sick off the western media
for once i praise RussiaToday.

only Sheeps and those who dont know the real truth on who is running our world will watch the western media perspective.

new topics

top topics

join