It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you always in a good mood? Why or Why Not?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
There is something very common but also very negative that I would like to draw attention to. We all have disagreements over various things but what has my curiosity is the tendency of people to get defensive about things they hear, whether it be news they don't like, or a belief they disagree with, whatever the case may be. It seems to stir negative reactions and negative feelings within us, and I wonder why this is if we are truly comfortable with our beliefs.

I think too many of us associate ourselves with our beliefs, and think that we ARE our beliefs, so if someone attacks our beliefs they are attacking us personally. But they are not. We can change our beliefs and we should change them as much as possible because we must come to the realization that most of them are probably inaccurate or flat-out wrong anyway, as will be demonstrated by future generations, as always. This is just a historical fact. Take anyone from any past generation so many decades or hundreds of years ago, and bring them in today's world, and most of their beliefs will be outdated. Progress and change are constant and inevitable. If you stop refining your understanding and "beliefs" of reality, it doesn't mean it's because you've found all the answers. It simply means you have stagnated in your mind and are already on the way to death.

But the question I want to ask is, how often do you feel content or even happy, generally optimistic? And why do you think this is?

By comparison, how often do you feel negative? Ie depressed, anxious, angry, nervous, etc.

Which do you think taxes more of your energy throughout the day? Which do you think is a healthier state of mind, more productive to learning new information? Which do you think is more close-minded?

Well I have a second question, which is kind of a trick question.

What are the benefits of feeling positive/optimistic/content the majority of the time, and what are the benefits of feeling negatively/pessimistically/unfulfilled a majority of the time?

[edit on 15-1-2010 by bsbray11]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
how often do you feel content or even happy, generally optimistic?

90% of the time I am in a state of hyper happiness... I'm lucky to be alive and switched on and ready for the next thing in life.

And why do you think this is?

A lot of crap when I was a child made me grow a thick skin and realise that I strive for justice and happiness in life and that they can both be achieved...

What are the benefits of feeling positive/optimistic/content the majority of the time?

It infects those around me, people cant stay angry or upset long around me... Life gives me what I need... nothing more, nothing less.

I think you need to have a flip side.. what are the negatives:

My constant hyper happy state pisses some people off, some people WANT to feel sad and they should be allowed to.. I need to learn to allow them.

What are the benefits of feeling negatively/pessimistically/unfulfilled a majority of the time?

No benefits.. last person in my family that felt like this sat under a train.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11

But the question I want to ask is, how often do you feel content or even happy, generally optimistic?

By comparison, how often do you feel negative? Ie depressed, anxious, angry, nervous, etc.

What are the benefits of feeling positive/optimistic/content the majority of the time, and what are the benefits of feeling negatively/pessimistically/unfulfilled a majority of the time?

[edit on 15-1-2010 by bsbray11]

I agree with your statements concerning the need to adjust our beliefs. We are constantly learning, constantly experiencing new situations, and our belief system should evolve with each new revelation.

To answer the questions you pose is difficult. First, how do you define happiness? Simply the lack of sadness, or is it more than this? Semantics, I realize, but my point is that feelings are subjective. What one person perceives as happiness another may qualify differently.

Nevertheless, I would venture to say I am only "happy" about 10% of the average week. By the same measure, I'm only "depressed" roughly 15% of the week. The rest of the time, I vary between the two extremes.

I've discovered that I can help regulate my mood by consciously noticing my feelings, and taking steps to calm down. This includes breathing exercises, meditation, etc. It helps me, and since I've started these techniques my overall contenment and enjoyment of life has skyrocketed.

Not sure this was what you were looking for......but thanks for the interesting questions!

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
All emotions are only biochemical substances programed in our hardware, I heard that some time ago.
They said that being positive or negative is not an option, in a way, just natural reactions.
Our purpose on Life is to Know ourselves, which is our programing and deal with it.
Not Changing it!

Frami

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
how can you feel good if you dont feel bad?

so to answer you're questions you need both, in order to feel good you must feel bad, and the same goes for the other way around. its really the balance in life...

my techniques to feel good when i'm down is to remember theres someone else out there who has it worse than me

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

All emotions are only biochemical substances programed in our hardware, I heard that some time ago.
They said that being positive or negative is not an option, in a way, just natural reactions.
Our purpose on Life is to Know ourselves, which is our programing and deal with it.
Not Changing it!

reply to post by frami12

I respectfully disagree.

True, feelings are natural and, for the most part, reactive. In other words, when someone cuts me off in traffic, I feel angry. But I CAN change that feeling. I can calm myself down, compose myself, etc. When I do this, I no longer feel angry (or, at least, not as angry).

How does one do this? First, you must recognize the feeling. Remember, feelings are not good or bad, they just are. There's nothing wrong with feeling angry, sad, heartbroken, etc.....indeed, one could make the claim that these unpleasant feelings help motivate us to improve our situation.

Once you've recognized how you're feeling, then you take steps to compose yourself. Breathing techniques, visualizations, screaming into a pillow, whatever works best for you. Composing yourself doesn't negate the unpleasant feeling; instead, it allows you to emotionally distance yourself. In other words, you become aware of your feeling, and with that awareness comes control.

Now that you are composed, you choose what action to take. Perhaps you respond positively or negatively at this point, but the choice is yours. Simply reacting to a feeling tends to lead to more aggravation in the long run.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by RizeorDie
how can you feel good if you dont feel bad?

so to answer you're questions you need both, in order to feel good you must feel bad, and the same goes for the other way around. its really the balance in life...

Yeah, that's exactly what I was going to get at. I'm actually a lot more productive when I'm depressed or don't feel satisfied with something, and I think that is the general pattern with everyone. When we are content we are in a much simpler state of being. And by content I really should say it's distinct from both being happy and being in a more sour mood, in the middle.

Originally posted by frami12

Yes and we can actually learn to control and change that programming believe it or not. From what I've read it generally takes about a month of practicing a new behavior or recalling new information before it sets in as a permanent, "second-nature" response of the brain and emotional circuit.

reply to post by smyleegrl

"Happy" as I would define it would be more of an internal feeling. You say "subjective" but I think our descriptions may vary but we're feeling the exact same bio-chemical process interacting with our subtler senses, a feeling I can only approximate by describing it with the color yellow. But maybe that's just a subjective interpretation too...

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

But the question I want to ask is, how often do you feel content or even happy, generally optimistic? And why do you think this is?

Most of the time - honestly - I am content. Happy is something else - it's more elusive - but I'm mostly happy I'd say

Why? I don't know why - exactly. Having a sense of humor helps. Life is funny - most of the time. Or, at least some of the time. Depends on who's looking. :-)

I will say that I've learned that I do have control over my own moods - for the most part. It's a very useful thing to learn - that you don't have to be at the mercy of a bad mood.

On the other hand...sometimes things suck. And I feel it. I've also learned that at those times it's best to just go with it - wallow a little. It seems to move along faster if you don't resist. It's a trick - and it works (for me)

It doesn't happen often - and usually if I feel bad it has something to do with sleep deprivation

Well I have a second question, which is kind of a trick question.

a trick question? :-)

Funny. I think a good mood is always good for you (duh) but, I think a good mood benefits the people around you more than it does yourself - which I guess would ultimately come back to benefit you - again

I think positive changes comes more often from negative feelings. Maybe that's just me.

I am also more creative when my mood is not up - I don't understand why - but in this one way a negative mood actually works for me

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I almost always feel happy/optimistic I went through HARD times growing up, in the material sense it makes me enjoy anything I buy/am given, in the mental sense I have been through worse so why not try to find what is funny in this situation. I rarely feel sad when something happens to me I feel sad for other people usually(I am not intentionally trying to sound corny either, this is the way I think).

I see no benefits to feeling negative, however the benifits to feeling positive are endless.

Secure

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Bad moods come when you hate yourself. They also come when you hate others. Hating others is the same as hating yourself because it's an emotion felt by you only, therefore, you are the only one suffering. However, some people make OTHER's pay for their self hatred and that is an act of selfishness.

Good moods usually come when you stop hating yourself. It's that brief moment in time when you realize that you're not the looser that you usually say you are.

Joy is the realization that good and bad moods are all in your control and that frees you from the bondage of punishing yourself and others.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
ismprobablyanahole! definately influenced by tjose around me ....its a survival thing 4 the momebt, buti'd change 2 serious as soon as my survival depended onb it ...get it?

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Typically I am rather content. I have always been the type of person that is able to have things roll off. No matter how negative things get I can always sort of, well, not care. I think that can definitely be a bad thing, but can also be a good thing. I've never been the type to get depressed. I'll have passing moments of negativity but it's really because I am just bored. Mind you, I've never had that hard of a life, so I suppose I'm not a good example.

I went through a rough couple of years where I suffered from anxiety disorder. I'd have panic attacks. I've been on 20mg of happy pink pills ever since, (for about 2 years now) and I've been, well, happy. And yet, a helluva a lot more careless.

I do think that an individual should have a nice balance between happy and sad. I mean if a person was never sad I don't think they would ever know what true happiness is, let alone be able to truly appreciate it.

Anywho, there's my two cents. Take em, people. We're in a recession!

new topics

top topics

join