It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama gives Unions $60 billion bribe; exempts them from various healthcare taxes

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
and this is all being orchestrated, according the BUSH jR., said wede allbe sorry..as obama is not a lawyer or businessman. CEO of P&G also stated teh same thing pretty much...
so! either obama has viscous 2 faes, or he, in a sick sense of humor, has learned how it all works, and now loves spending* rather, he learend the systems FED way of laundering our tax money*

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
The change in my pocket that will be left over at the end of the month supporting this stuff is what I can believe in. I believe that I'll put it in a big jar, and at the end of 30 or 40 years I'll cash it in, and buy me a burger with it.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by KrazyJethro

Its already too late. They don't need and can't be bothered to hide what they are doing.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Wait, how is this a bribe? do all the unionized workers have a video tape of Obama smoking a blunt and listening to some dubstep reggae? Did he get caught paling around with some terrorists?

Yeah that's not a literal bribe. But anything to rile up people whose only talking points amount to calling Obama "Big doody head!"

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by patent98310

I think you are confusing bribe and blackmail, of course there may be some blackmail but I don't think anybody said that. Check your dictionary before you start arguing here.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by johnny2127

Seriously, Obama is a wimp and that Union thing sounds extremely shaddy. He's letting the Unions push him around so this stupid bill passes.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnny2127

Originally posted by jibeho
This little bit is from the article in the OP.

Officials said the deal was thrashed out over more than 15 hours of negotiating at the White House that ended after midnight Wednesday.

Powerful unions were well-represented around the bargaining table.

Participants included AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka and Andy Stern, head of Service Employees International Union; Anna Burger, head of Change to Win; and the leaders of unions representing teachers, government workers, food and commercial workers, and electricians.

Stern has been among the most frequent visitors to the White House over the last year, showing up more than 20 times, according to logs.

Read more: www.nypost.com...

15 hours of negotiating with union leaders!!!! And still the GOP leaders are locked out of any White House negotiations.

This is GLARING proof of the priorities of Obama. To hell with bipartisanship , change and transparency. Obama has people that he needs to pay back.

All the more reason for this to FAIL miserably.

Make complete sense right? Lock out the elected officials that represent voters, but allow the special interests in and allow them to negotiate for their base.

Things are getting so backwards in DC right now I can't even believe it.

Can he do that? Lock them out? That sounds illegal, yes?

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
What’s the matter with you people. This country was made on the backs of middle-class union workers. It was the unions that started the 40 hr week, good salaries with benefits. If you are middle class and non-union this applies to you too. The union wage is the bench mark your company uses to set your pay and benefits. Do you actually think that you are getting the wage your getting now because of your hard work and your company actually cares about your well being. I am all in when it comes to capitalism. But for the middle class to much capitalism is never a good thing. After the fall of the auto industry it has been common knowledge that this was due to the unions. But is this really true or just management passing the buck. In other words I am saying that it was their product that did them in. The average cars in the late 1900s were getting about the same gas mileage as the model T. The average car today isn’t that much better. The unions did produce the cars but had no say in what was to be built. Same with the benefits they were getting. If management had a decent product line the companies would have been able to pay the benefits. (look at ford ) As for as Toyota and the other foreign manufactures that use American labor to produce their products. The same thing is going to happen to them if they start turning out crap (union or nonunion). I really don’t understand the concept that unions are the reason for the fall of the American dream. What ever that may be. Flame all you want but I will always be union if I have a choice. If you chose to be non-union then that’s your choice. But I am actually wondering how many of you scabs are going to go union now if this is true. Sorry I just had to put that in. It’s a old union thing. And I say old for a reason, in my union if they knew who said that, it would be enough to remove my good standing.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Yes .... you are union, you are democrat, you are precious... My precious.

It is written that you shall inherit the earth by proxy. To those who are given, so we shall reap....

Enjoy the ride.....

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
This is exactly the kind of thing that if the worm turns could end them up on trial. History has a funny ironic way of setting things right in the end it may take along time but everything will pan out in the end.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Since Unions have so much power politically and serve very little real purpose anymore, can we all join together in forming the American Working Peoples Union and get in on this sweet deal? Open to all workers who pay taxes, dues a few bucks annual. All dues go to the political actions department.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf321
Since Unions have so much power politically and serve very little real purpose anymore, can we all join together in forming the American Working Peoples Union and get in on this sweet deal? Open to all workers who pay taxes, dues a few bucks annual. All dues go to the political actions department.

Well if they don't name specific unions in the bill that might be a very viable option. Make a big union that simply exists to be a union

Unions were once upon a time a good thing, that time has long since passed. The unions no longer exist to protect the workers, they are there for the 'leaders' to get rich. Unions wind up bringing the workers down they way they function now.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
it reminds me of fishing. hook, line, and...
. Everything is just too shady Nowadays(and probably goes way back). There's too much secretive money going around. The fact that you have to throw a lure out to these people to get them to bite, should show everyone that something is wrong. It should show you that people don't agree with this, and yet they get away with this stuff all the time. Why is that???

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I am not defending anyone but I think the big thing here is about taxing people, working class people, for health coverage, that they have because they work hard, and it's part of the reason they keep their job. I'm a union member and I have a pretty good plan. I don't think it's right to tax one group for having coverage and not another. I think we should be encouraging businesses to have the best coverage for their employee's.

We should all have reasonable access to health care. Forget insurance plans. All the plans put out there so far, are benefiting the insurance companies to make everyone buy insurance. Which seems a lot like buying protection from the mafia. But it is also anti-american, to penalize those who have found a way to get a decent health plan thru their work, either thru a union or not.

I'm not happy with the route this health care debate is going. It reeks of back room politics and shady deals.

Until we can have a system that makes it possible for me to go to the doctor without having to pay for his new 20" rims, don't tax me for having a job that gives me health care that everyone else in this country should have access to.

The problem we have right now is not that health care is not available it's that everyone cannot afford it. It should be as easy, safe, and affordable as going to the store for food.

The system is broken and I'm more than willing to admit that. But you can't tax those who have been lucky enough to get coverage thru their employer.

Every year they cut back my coverage and require me to work more hours to qualify. but I still wish every one could have the coverage I have. I don't want anyone to have to go into bankruptcy to stay alive.

To sum up my little rant. Your all right to be upset. But you should be more upset that they are not breaking up the insurance scam so we can all have no problem going to the doctor. If it was just plain affordable then we would have no problem. The union is just trying to keep working people from being taxed more than TPTB who ran us into the hole we're in right now. Unions are not immune from corruption and have not been what they claim to be for a long time. But what they are fighting for right now should be a fight that is going on across the board. I have an idea lets tax the Cr@% out of the insurance Congress gets and see how far that goes.

For those who have lost jobs or been stifled by the union, I encourage you to make some noise. Unions should not be limiting us from work they should be helping us to make what is left of america better. Call out corruption and demand respect. The loudest and most annoying get the attention.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by OldManReilly

The real question is would warlord McCain would of done better?
McCain would of probably spent three trillion on wars by now.

[edit on 16-1-2010 by frankky]

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro

Huge nasty obvious scam that can be revoked after the people get mad, which makes it less likely the conservative media will really get to investigating the meat of this bill before it's too late.

Nope. Cannot be revoked if the bill is passed. In fact, Harry Reid wrote into the bill on page 1020 that the entire bill cannot be revoked. They are actually going to pass a bill that changes the rules of congress, hidden in the middle of this monstrosity.

This is why he is so desperate that his part of the bill be kept.

This is also why Repubs are waiting in the wings the moment this is passed to call it unconstitutional. It is. Thing is, by passing it, they effectively change the laws.

This is pure evil coming from these people, who are corroborating in the destruction of this country.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
So if you are an Amish Union worker you can avoid this health care nightmare?

Better yet would be to be Amish, and working in a union job, with a spouse who has a government job with benefits!

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by someguy420

The fact that you have to throw a lure out to these people to get them to bite, should show everyone that something is wrong. It should show you that people don't agree with this, and yet they get away with this stuff all the time. Why is that???

I think it shows that everybody has their price. Especially the unions.

Chicago politics at it's slimiest.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by patent98310
Wait, how is this a bribe? do all the unionized workers have a video tape of Obama smoking a blunt and listening to some dubstep reggae? Did he get caught paling around with some terrorists?

Yeah that's not a literal bribe. But anything to rile up people whose only talking points amount to calling Obama "Big doody head!"

Definition of a bribe:

bribe (brb)
n.
1. Something, such as money or a favor, offered or given to a person in a position of trust to influence that person's views or conduct.
2. Something serving to influence or persuade.

Link: www.thefreedictionary.com...

Saying to the unions: I will give you THIS in return for your SUPPORT of healthcare reform is a bribe anyway one looks at it.

Further, when Obama GAVE Nebraska all the monies needed to cover Medicaid and Medicare expenses -- something that every other state pays for individually -- in exchange for the 60th vote needed to move healthcare reform ahead WITHOUT having to include any Republican in the discussions -- in fact, Republicans are outright banned from attending said negotiations -- that too is a bribe.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldManReilly
reply to post by jibeho

For the life of me, I really cannot understand how Obama supporters can defend this. Obviously many union members will be happy and will just laugh and chuckle. These are the exact sort of deals Obama campaigned against and said he would not do as President.... giving special treatment to special interest groups in exchange for continuing monetary and verbal support. Corruption anyone?

yup...SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS!!!!! like teachers, hotel workers, food service workers...all those WEALTHY PEOPLE!!!!! these people are at the bottom of the wage pool and don't NEED ANYMORE LUXURIES!!!

i like that the poor and middle class are getting special treatment...because it's been far too little for far too long. the poor and middle class have been sucked dry by the wealthy, year after year slowly losing out on jobs, raises, benefits, house values, all to feed the pig bladder of the wealthy

the unions that make up only 7% of the work force are not corrupting this economy, it's the other 93% of the work force that has been slowly downgraded toward 3rd world status by the very corporations that outspend the unions every year in campaign contributions by wide margins.

it's very simple...the people that have the most money are the people with the most power...why is this so hard to understand?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join