It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9 Vermont State Office Candidates Favor Secession

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
9 Vermont State Office Candidates Favor Secession
Peter Garritano thinks it's time for Vermont to call it quits with America.
The way the 54-year-old automobile salesman sees it, the "empire" is about to implode and tiny Vermont can lead the way by becoming its own independent republic. So he's running for lieutenant governor, topping a slate of secession-minded candidates seeking statewide offices this year. Their name: Vermont Independence Day. "The only hope is to just say, 'Look, this isn't working for us. We want to start fresh again, with a real democracy,'" Garritano said. "I think that's the answer. Hopefully, it won't take another horrible economic breakdown to realize that the people running things don't look out for the little guy, or us, or the soldiers. It's all about profit and getting the last drops of oil on Earth and trampling people's rights."

To See the Whole Story, Go To:
www.marchreport.com...

[edit on 15-1-2010 by Anti-Evil]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I was under the impression that the civil war pretty much put to bed the idea that states were united by choice at this point.

Good luck, but they could starve and freeze you to death pretty easily.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Not being an American I am not sure but are the individual states bound by law to do what congress says, is there anything that stops them from declaring independace like what happened when the USSR colapsed.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpmail
Not being an American I am not sure but are the individual states bound by law to do what congress says, is there anything that stops them from declaring Independence like what happened when the USSR collapsed.

I am not sure if there is anything written that specifically disallows them to do so, but the civil war is certainly the precedent that makes it seem as if they can not.

There has been talk of secession in many states for as long as I can remember, and thus far no one has come close. Very few single states would have an easy go of things alone, and the remaining US could simply close the border and things would grind to a halt unless that state is well situated, could make their own money quickly, grow their own food, make all their own energy, reach trade negotiations with neighboring states/countries, along with hundreds of other needs.

I'd be interested to know if it's technically legal.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Evil

All this talk of secession is just Right Wing macho posturing.

Only fools think secession in a small state like Vermont is even a remote possibility.

Cut Vermont off the power grid, food distribution and federal aid, federal jobs and they wouldn't last a month.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
I was under the impression that the civil war pretty much put to bed the idea that states were united by choice at this point.
. . .

I was under the impression that when an abused wife wants to leave the marriage, and the husband tells her no, and beats her senseless, the idea of divorce is pretty much put to bed.

Get where I am going here?

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
I was under the impression that when an abused wife wants to leave the marriage, and the husband tells her no, and beats her senseless, the idea of divorce is pretty much put to bed.

Get where I am going here?

This isn't exactly the same thing, but yes I get your point.

A more appropriate analogy would be if the wife could somehow get a divorce, yet still have to live in the same house as the man.

How would that work unless there was some kind of equalizing force?

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
in your analogy, to me divorce = state sovereignty.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
in your analogy, to me divorce = state sovereignty.

Yeah, I got that. My point is that you can't pick up and move the state so the analogy still holds. It's still practically surrounded by the rest of the country, which could easily be locked down unless Canada wanted to give them major support.

Considering Canada is in bed with America practically to the neck, I doubt they would be much help.

Secession isn't a practical solution. They could probably get New Hampshire, at least, to go along with it. Then it would be better but a terribly dangerous, and probably, deadly move.

I doubt any sizable portion of the people have the stones to even try it.

[edit on 15-1-2010 by KrazyJethro]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Texans do!

And I know there are huge secession movements in Alaska, Vermont, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Montana, Tennessee, and Hawaii.

I think that once the first state goes, it will be a domino effect.

[edit on 1/15/2010 by Lemon.Fresh]

new topics

top topics

join