It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-22 Raptors just broke the sound barrier over Las Cruces NM 2x in the last hour

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by arbiture

That is what the airforce told KFOX. It could have been any number of things in actuality.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by xX aFTeRm4Th Xx

My house is for sale. Come on over!

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Joanp62

I thought the first one was an explosion. It wasn't a muffled explosion either. It was way louder than any other sonic boom that I have heard.

But when the second one happened I heard jets right after I heard the boom. So I figured the first one was a sonic boom as well.

The first one shook the heck out of my friends house.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

The first one I heard was VERY, VERY loud.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

My wife used to work at picacho hills! You might know her!

La Posta is my favorite restaurant, or maybe 2nd place to chope's.

We should get all the Las Cruces ATS'ers together for some beers and Mexican food!

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

Haha if only I wasn't in college and being raped by the economy it might be a deal. Perhaps you should move up here to Colorado, definately one of the most militarized states in the country. Always see blackhawks and F16's flying over... but no Raptors, never seen one fly in person... But I can't even imagine how cool that would be.

But lets just hope none of this talk about martial law and a one-world order takeover happens. Otherwise I'm definitely fricked (haha like my PG13 choice of words)

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by xX aFTeRm4Th Xx

I don't think it really matters too much where you live in WTSHTF scenario, we are all fricked!

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

So are you saying that the sonic booms are actually changing and may not necessarily cause the 2 back to back booms that I am used to hearing?

I appreciate the explanation. Also, in the local paper today they are claiming that it was in fact sonic booms from F-22 Raptors and that they will be training until Jan. 22.

Just didn't sound like the sonic booms I was used to. Either way, I think it's cool.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

Both sounds shook the heck out of my place too. They were about 1/2 hour apart, but did not sound like sonic booms that I am familiar with. I did go outside after the second one and heard jets. I'm just saying if what I heard sounded like the familiar twin sonic booms, then i would have figured that's all it was-and living so close to military bases, I would have figured that they were doing some training/testing-at night??? Hmmmmm.

Anyway.....

But to me, it sounded like explosions so I was very concerned at first. But turns out it was F-22's afterall.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436

My wife used to work at picacho hills! You might know her!

La Posta is my favorite restaurant, or maybe 2nd place to chope's.

We should get all the Las Cruces ATS'ers together for some beers and Mexican food!

How could I have forgotten about Chope's? Best Mexican food I ever had! I haven't had a sopapilla in ages. It would be nice to meet with all the other members from or living in L.C. and reminisce. I worked at Picacho Hill's for a short time as a bartender some 25 years ago. Also bartended at a place called the Club which also had a bar called the Annex...a biker bar at the time. Those were the days...

Sorry for the off topic nostalgia, I just couldn't resist.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
When I was little, I heard sonic booms quite often, but it was always single explosion sounds. What makes it a double boom? I am just curious.

Haven't heard a sonic boom in many, many years, but it almost got to be routine when I was a child, then it suddenly just stopped.

Do you happen to know when they stopped doing it over cities? And since they stopped doing it over cities, then why did they do it there, and are going to continue?

I have lots of questions!

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

As far as the double booms, it's mostly the space shuttle that does that one. Remember hearing it quite a few times growing up in the Orlando area. If you're not prepared for it it'll scare the bejezus out of you.

Not sure if I did that link right, not showing up for me but here is also the url link

Space Shuttle Double Sonic Boom

Embedded YouTube link corrected.
Just use the video ID when embedding videos.

[edit on 17/1/2010 by ArMaP]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

Did they ever finish construction on biggs field? I havent been their since I got deployed last May. I was tired of living in trailers instead of actual buildings.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   

I drank 21 shots on my 21st b-day at the club!!

I have picked up chicks, listened to metal, and played pool at the club! Those were the days!

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   

I heard a very loud explosion, and then 20minutes later another. I could hear jets after the 2nd one.

KFOX has reported that F-22's in fact broke the sound barrier over Las Cruces, but wouldn't say why.

www.kfoxtv.com...

It was crazy.

They aren't supposed to break the sound barrier over cities. I hope we are not under attack or something.

And this is news why?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   

I heard a very loud explosion, and then 20minutes later another. I could hear jets after the 2nd one.

KFOX has reported that F-22's in fact broke the sound barrier over Las Cruces, but wouldn't say why.

www.kfoxtv.com...

It was crazy.

They aren't supposed to break the sound barrier over cities. I hope we are not under attack or something.

If they shatter glass or break your china, then you have a legitimate claim you can file against the USAF. All they have to do is deny it and your left with goose eggs. My best advice is to prepare your self for another accoustic display. be ready to record it with a mike and even better, with pictures.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Libertygal
When I was little, I heard sonic booms quite often, but it was always single explosion sounds. What makes it a double boom? I am just curious.

Simple really, the boom is when the air the aircraft is pushing out of it's way goes from supersonic to sub sonic. - I'm not exactly sure why this causes a boom or what is basically a shock wave... I'm guessing it's got a lot to do with the speed of sound! But basically it's a change in pressure that would be equivalent to dropping 3 or 4 floors in an elevator but the difference is that is happens quicker than you can snap a twig, so you get the sonic boom.

I think that is called the transonic region, but as for the double boom that is down to the design of the aircraft... Different parts (nose and tail?) cause the air to change from supersonic to sub sonic at 2 separate points - boom boom!

I think it's fantastic that the aircraft can take this stress, I also think it great that the pilot will never hear the sonic boom!

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Interesting thread.

Probably old news to some people, but not everyone realizes this: different aircraft do make different booms. The main factors being size and shape.

The biggest I've experienced was when I was in Orlando. Where you sort of feel it and all the blinds on any open windows go flying in. That was the shuttle. If it does that at altitude (it's still a good ways up there bleeding off speed in turns), then imagine if that thing was actually close.

The next two are ones I've seen from going out on a sponson on a carrier out at sea.

As for the loudest I've experienced? F-14 Tomcat. If you're not expecting it, it'll almost knock you on your a--!
But they don't fly those anymore. (I'd still say the shuttle with it's bulk could seriously beat this, but unlike the shuttle's boom the tomcat's was up close and personal, about 500ft during a pass given during a tiger cruise.)

The F-18 Hornets can also make an alright boom, but I'd say they're somewhere just under half of kick that the F-14 made at the same speed and distance. But then again those are smaller aircraft and the different shape would likely change the shockwave profile.

I'm curious how the F-22 would compare to those two since I haven't heard it in person. Not sure if it'd rival the tomcat though, since those were pretty big birds.

It's pretty neat to see in person too. Usually you see the aircraft go zipping by. But it's still quiet. Then it's 1... 2... 3... and BOOM!
followed by the aircraft's noise. If you were on the recieving end and didn't see it coming, it's unlikely you'd know what hit you.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I could quite imagine a tomcat having a good loud boom. It is a pretty big aircraft so the back takes some time (less than a second) to match the supersonic speed of the front (no i don't know how it works but i read that the front and back go supersonic at different times). Such a shame they replaced it with the hornet.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
i couldnt imagine witnessing that upclose! i still wonder if it was a test run or not..

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join