It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-22 Raptors just broke the sound barrier over Las Cruces NM 2x in the last hour

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I heard a very loud explosion, and then 20minutes later another. I could hear jets after the 2nd one.

KFOX has reported that F-22's in fact broke the sound barrier over Las Cruces, but wouldn't say why.

www.kfoxtv.com...

It was crazy.

They aren't supposed to break the sound barrier over cities. I hope we are not under attack or something.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Geez, how come nothing exiting ever happened when I lived in Cruces?

Maybe we can expect something similar to happen in other cities.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

How did you leave? I can't leave for more than a week or two or I have a nervous breakdown because of lack of green chile.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

I must have left before they started using F-22 fighter jets to crop dust the green chile fields.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Well, you are missing out bigtime now!

They now buzz each and every aggie game with f-4 phantoms. And they go over my house at 200 ft, and 450 mph. It is awesome.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Maybe they were after an UFO?
You know it could have been

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   

You probably know this but in El paso that is close to Las cruces, there are some air strips by fort bliss that do some training exercises. Most likely they were testing out the potential of the f-22.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I'm in Houston, around 10:30 CST (don't remember exactly) give or take I heard a boom, I had my headphones on and did not think much of it at the time due to the random gunshots around here. Its a rough side of town. I did notice it sounded a little different though. Took my headphones off to see, but nothing else. Anyone else around here hear it?

[edit on 15-1-2010 by timewalker]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

Yeah they are based at Holloman AFB in Alamogordo NM. We used to have f-117's. Now we have F-22's.

I lived in Alamogordo as a kid. They had f-15's there at the time, and the sonic booms were outstanding. I love it.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Sounds like a cool place, haha I might have to actually move there. Always have loved seeing and hearing the cool jets our military has. Used to wanna be in the Air Force as a pilot until I grew up. Regardless I can't help but water at the mouth when I see an F-16 fly overhear, yet alone a raptor... COOL!

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Good to see some people out there still take pleasure in gratutious displays of American military might.

I got my first sonic boom in Baghdad. We were searching through the railway yard and called in a low-altitude flyby from the CAS on station as a show of force. A couple minutes later we got a supersonic buzz by a duo of Eagles flying at maybe 200ft. It was awesome. It was early spring and still humid, so we even got the vapor cones that you see in all the pictures. Felt like a little boy at an air show.

The mayor of Baghdad was slightly less enthusiastic about the display when he called our BDE commander later that day.... Oh well.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Iv never heard a sonic boom... iv seen a tractor tho

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by spungy

I am not so sure that what we heard two nights ago were sonic booms from jets.

I have heard plenty of sonic booms from the space shuttle landings in Florida, having lived there for 13 years. When they are coming in they break the sound barrier-the sonic booms are 2 distinct booms-like BOOM BOOM!! and this will cause your windows to rattle.

The sounds I heard here in Las Cruces this past Thursday night did not sound like jets breaking the sound barrier. I heard what sounded like a muffled explosion around 8:40 pm and my windows rattled. Then again around 9:15-the same thing. At that point i went out on my balcony and heard the sound of jets.

So maybe there were military jets flying in the area-but what I heard did not sound like sonic boom from the jets breaking the sound barrier. Also-when I lived in Tampa near MacDill AFB, there were plenty of times that military jets would fly overhead, however, they never broke the sound barrier.

So, I am just curious as to what those explosions really were-or can anyone verify for sure that it was just from military jets?

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I didn't hear anything 20 miles from there. Pilots like to break rules.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude
I didn't hear anything 20 miles from there. Pilots like to break rules.

Yea especially that Maverick and Cougar .. requesting a fly by

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   

How do you know it's an F-22? There are many times military air craft have broke the sound barrier over the US. I'm not saying it's not an F-22, no doubt the sexiest plane any where. I get a hard on thinking about it. (yes I know thats gross)

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by arbiture

What I don't understand is why people are claiming the noise was a sonic boom. I have heard sonic booms many times and what I heard thursday night did not sound like the twin sonic booms I am familiar with. What I heard was a single muffled explosion sound-then again 1/2 hour later the very same thing.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Joanp62

I'm not saying your wrong here! - But I just wanted to chip in an idea.

The latest supersonic aircraft are actually changing the nature of the sonic boom... The boom occurs when 2 shock wave fronts slap into each other, they are trying and succeeding to change the way this happens - something about delaying it as long as possible s that the sonic boom happens further back along the length of the aircraft I believe.

They are doing this for a few reasons but a main one is so that one day they can operate supersonic aircraft over populated areas - so maybe if it was a sonic boom from a Raptor maybe it wont seem the same as a sonic boom from any other jet.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

I had no idea so many members either live in, or lived in Las Cruces! I miss the Land of Enchantment and the Messilla Valley. I miss the Organ Mountains, and her majesty. I miss La Posta and the Fountains seedy saloon. I remember walking to school one day up University Ave one morning along the irrigation ditch and one of the cows had somehow jumped the fence and was walking beside me. One of the NMSU police pulled over and smiled and asked me: "Is that your cow". We both laughed as we wondered how that cow had done what he did. I remember getting off of work one night at Picacho Hills Country Club and finding a road runner in my car frantically darting back and forth. I remember gorgeous sunsets that were a dime a dozen and fresh air I haven't breathed in decades...I miss that land, that land of manana where everybody always said, "I'll do it tomorrow, and I hope tomorrow never comes"

I also remember a sonic boom while living there that was followed by what everyone thought was an earthquake. I don't remember hearing any official story but we all assumed it was from testing at the White Sands Missile range.

[edit on 16-1-2010 by Jean Paul Zodeaux]

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stop-loss!

You probably know this but in El paso that is close to Las cruces, there are some air strips by fort bliss that do some training exercises. Most likely they were testing out the potential of the f-22.

Biggs Field is hardly ever used. It is just another cash cow for the military industrial complex. Fighter jets are fairly rare around here and land at the international airport along with some NASA jets stationed there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join