It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monster Camera to Seek Mysterious “Antigravity Force” in Cosmos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
www.symmetrymagazine.org...

quote from source:

The planet's biggest -570-megapixel- camera the size of a smart car is being built at Fermilab by an international team of particle physicists and astronomers, to help solve one of the great mysteries of the cosmos: what is dark energy -the ubiquitous, invisible matter believed to make up 70 percent of the universe and the hidden force behind the acceleration of the universe.

When completed it will be shipped to the Cerro Tololo Inter-American Observatory in Chile, where it will be placed atop a four-meter telescope called the Blanco sometime in 2011. The mega gadget will take pictures of the universe not only as we see it today but back through time, closer to when the universe began, capturing images of roughly 300 million galaxies.

The Dark Energy Camera will peer deeper into the sky and unveil more galaxies at greater distances than any previous project, including the epic Sloan Digital Sky Survey that has transformed our knowledge of the universe. It will collect data on the distances of supernovae from Earth, the large-scale clustering of galaxies, the abundance of massive galaxy clusters, and the bending of light caused by galaxies and clusters of galaxies.

“If all four measures show the same result, it means that our current ideas about dark energy are correct; if they differ, there is either a problem in our understanding of gravity or some other explanation,” said Brenna Flaugher, who is spearheading the camera’s construction in an interview with Symmetry.com .

A 570 MP camera?? Wow, that's impressive. Maybe I don't get it but how do you expect to SEE dark matter? Interesting and we will see when it is up and running in 2011.

I am impressed to see the great improvements in technology coming along and science just keeps them going. I can't wait to see what will keep popping up in the physics world and I will try and keep everyone posted!!

Thanks
Pred...

[edit on 14-1-2010 by predator0187]

[edit on 14-1-2010 by predator0187]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Additional information:

www.dailygalaxy.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I cant wait to see the pictures this baby finds!
back in time! hmmm. At least look for anything heading towards us that might destroy the planet.

I wonder if they look long enough, they will see how the deep space hole goes?

[edit on 14-1-2010 by Optix]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Quite interesting if I could find my astronomy notebook at this time I would be able to provide some more onto this discussion. As I remember it I think my teacher had at least three things that were listed as being culprits to the anti-gravity "problem"

( I have just found my notes from class and here are some things )

Granted it's been a while so in no way will I be able to argue for or against these ideas, only presenting them as it is midnight and drowsy at the moment.

There is Dark Energy and the current is: Ω(TOT) - Ω(M)
The things are parenthesis is supposed to be underneath the omega symbol I just don't know how to do it, Sorry!

Apparently I lied. Sorry again! As there only appear to be perhaps two things in my notes with the rest being variations of dark matter ( Such as hot, cold, Baryonic and Non-Baryonic ).

Cold's formula which is a form of Non-Baryonic is 1 GeV/C (Squared)
Hot's formula which is also a form of non-baryonic is 10-100 eV/C (squared)

Another thing is that I do have some information in here about detecing dark matter it seems here is what I wrote:

A lens of dark matter:
-Some light passes through a large cluster of galaxies and surrounding dark matter. Dark matter gravity acts like a lens, bending the light.

So I would assume we'd be able to see the bend and if nothing is spotted there, wala?

P.S. Sorry about this post, it must be one of the worst posts I've ever done here because it doesn't have a flow to it and it seems to be all messed up. Even now I'm hitting the space bar to many times leaving gaps in some things, but quickly moving back and fixing them. Hopefully some other enlightened members ( or mods ) will be able to figure out the jargon to see if it will hold up.
. Off to bed!

[edit]
P.P.S I have a whole 'nother two pages going into a bit of detail as well of the Dark matter and Dark Energy. If needed I can post it in the morning before classes, I just didn't know if I should add it or not after seeing what I did to this post...

P.P.P.S If anyone was wondering why I posted all of this, is because of this part that Predator wrote:

A 570 MP camera?? Wow, that's impressive. Maybe I don't get it but how do you expect to SEE dark matter?

[edit on 14-1-2010 by Gigantea Rosa]

[edit on 14-1-2010 by Gigantea Rosa]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Optix
I wonder if they look long enough, they will see how the deep space hole goes?

[edit on 14-1-2010 by Optix]

or see into that hole on mars

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
WOW!! 570mpx. That's just what I need to take Awesome Wildlife Photo's.

Take great Wedding Photo's. I wonder if my Minolta Lenses would fit it?

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Gigantea Rosa

No I understand they will be able to see evidence of it but they will not be able to actually see it. Just as in we have never actually seen an atom, just evidence of it...or maybe that's the quarks.

Pred...

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Damian-007
WOW!! 570mpx. That's just what I need to take Awesome Wildlife Photo's.

Take great Wedding Photo's. I wonder if my Minolta Lenses would fit it?

Could you imagine making a wedding party line up in front of that? LOL

You would be able to see inside each one of their pores with the zoom feature...

Pred...

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Ah, physically seeing it. Hmm, that would certainly be a dozy I would suspect things of that scope would not be able to be witnessed just yet. Unless right conditions are met I suppose, though I could be wrong and the telescope may be able to see it. Though a part of me thinks it will be a while before we get to that state.

top topics

join