Britain apologizes 50 years after Thalidomide scandal

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Britain apologizes 50 years after Thalidomide scandal

news.yahoo.com

LONDON (Reuters) – The British government apologized on Thursday to sufferers from the thalidomide scandal, half a century after thousands of babies were born with birth defects after their mothers took the morning sickness pill.

"The government wishes to express its sincere regret and deep sympathy for the injury and suffering endured by all those affected when expectant mothers took the drug thalidomide between 1958 and 1961," health minister Mike O'Brien told a hushed parliament.

"We acknowledge both the physical hardship and the emotional difficulties that have faced both the children affected and their families as a result of this drug, and the challenges that many continue to endure, often on a daily basis," he said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-1-2010 by seattletruth]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
What will it take for the population of the Earth to wake up?

The British government has admitted to testing biologicals on citizens in the past.

The USA has tested biologicals on its citizens in the past (check my signature).

I'm not even going to mention the chemicals that have been made legal to put in our foodstuffs, like saffrin, nutrisweet, aspartame, etc.

What will it take for our population to wake up? We have been lied to again and again... Yet for some reason the public still eats it up. We have to put a stop to this.

The link to autism in vaccines will finally be revealed 50 years down the line... If we're lucky. Thanks to ATS, we already know the link is there!

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-1-2010 by seattletruth]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
So just an apology, no one got punished?

Kill, poison then apologize, nice!

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Better late than never.

Still awful though... People need start taking a look at events like these, and then realize that the same acts are still being committed by the same people.

I'm pretty sure in the future our generation is going to get our fair share of apologies as well

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by bluepanic

Unfortunately not - no corporate manslaughter charges, no court cases for malpractice.

But a nice little apology 50 years too late, from people who were kids when it happened, well, that makes it all ok, eh?
Must be an election year

HOWEVER I wasn't aware that the whole thing was Hitlers fault :-

uspolitics.tribe.net...

Maybe thats why the FDA wouldn't approve it?

new topics

join