It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China donates one million dollars to quake-hit Haiti

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   

China donates one million dollars to quake-hit Haiti

english.cctv.com

BEIJING, Jan. 13 (Xinhua) -- The Red Cross Society of China has decided to donate one million U.S. dollars of emergency aid to quake-hit Haiti, said a statement from the State Council on Wednesday.

A 7.0-magnitude earthquake hit Haiti on Tuesday local time, collapsing a hospital and damaging government buildings in its capital city of Port-au-Prince.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
So the US donates 100 million dollars and China donates 1 million!!?? Come on. I thought they have all this money and are suppose to be so "great". Oh i get it. Their own human rights record is abominable so why on earth would they want to help citizens in another part of the world who just experienced a terrible natural disaster and face a humanitarian crisis.

english.cctv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

All to do with national priorities I suppose.

The UK only pledged £6 million, but we've sent a 71 man strong team to aid in rescue attempts and the RN is on the way.

The US is Haiti's main aid donor and international trade partner, plus has a long history in Haiti anyway, hence the much larger US response.

[edit on 14/1/10 by stumason]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Norway donates more than 7 million US dollars to Haiti. The population of Norway is 4 854 000.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Yeah, Norway is great at this sort of thing though.

You guys have come a long way from your pillaging and ravaging that used to be the national passtime

Plus, you're not broke like the UK! You have all that yummy gas and oil revenue

EDIT: Wasn't that a one liner, Hellmutt? Naughty mod!

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
China received over $450 million in foreign aid after the 2008 Sichuan earthquake (source), yet all they can give to a country FAR worse off than themselves is $1 million?

I realize Haiti donated nothing to China after the Sichuan earthquake but people have to realize the major difference between the two's ability to donate.

I have to say that is quite low of China to offer up such a pathetic amount and I am ashamed that my fellow taxpayers and I were forced to fork over even $500,000 to them seeing how they repay the favor.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Hate to say it but they are as cheap as the products they make. WOW they should be ashamed of themselves.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
It would have been much better if it had read something like this...

China donates one million dollars to quake-hit Haiti will send much more as soon as the United States makes payments on hundreds of BILLIONS of dollars in loans and interest it owes to the People's Republic of China.

Maybe they are running low on cash?

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Walkswithfish
Maybe they are running low on cash?

Then maybe they should stop handing out loans.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by starwatcher1
Hate to say it but they are as cheap as the products they make. WOW they should be ashamed of themselves.

In complete agreement with you and other posters ... how cheap can China get ?

Even here in Australia with our population of only 22 million, have still managed to come up with a $10 million donation for Haiti.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Although it is a small sum in relative terms, it is only what the Red Cross of China is donating. Their isn't any mention of what the Government is donating and no mention of private citizens contributions.

In this article, it says they are sending materials and manpower.

To be honest, as long as they are doing something is what should matter. This isn't the time for a pissing match opver how much anybody is giving. Every cent counts.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

Indeed...

Seems to crop up every time there is a big disaster, some (especially, but not exclusively, Americans) get out their e-peens and have a measuring contest.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
to keep the people under control, you have to secure the ground above which the drug planes are flying and the shores the drug boats are sailing

This is why the US response is "large" compared to the other countries.
3 million people in the street, no food no aid whatsoever, I guess the 3500 marines sent there are gonna have some serious "peacekeeping" there...

[edit on 14/1/10 by MattMulder]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Well as such a close neighbour one would expect the US to offer the most assistance, otherwise she might find a lot of refugees demanding entry.

I seem to remember that the UK offered a paltry sum when the 2004 tsunami ravaged Indonesia until their was an outcry...well a leopard doesn't change their spots do they.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by tauristercus
In complete agreement with you and other posters ... how cheap can China get ?

Even here in Australia with our population of only 22 million, have still managed to come up with a $10 million donation for Haiti.

And where is it?

China leads start of aid lift into Haiti

China's is ON THE GROUND. In Haiti, a nation they don't even have diplomatic relations with. Their disaster response team was one of the first to land in Haiti. They brought 20 tonnes of food, equipment, sniffer dogs and rescue teams. Plus, they've had 140+ on the UN peacekeeping mission since 2004. How many has Australia sent for that?

Get off your high horse. Australia's pledged a bit of cash. China is actually doing something, which is a continuation of the something they've been doing for years. You've got no moral high ground here to complain that China hasn't been quick enough with their chequebook.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
So the US donates 100 million dollars and China donates 1 million!!?? Come on.

Anjelina Jolie and Brad Pitt also donated 1Mil together

These two donated as much as China
I think that says even more

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
US donation to China earthquake: 0.5 million --- pathetic

China donation to US after Katrina: 5 million

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
The majority of aid is not in money.. for instance, in the USA, the amount of total PRIVATE donations will probably out grow the $100m in federal funds to Haiti ..

I imagine in the UK private donations will also surpass it's federal donation. In China.. well .. I don't expect alot from the Chinese actually.

Then you also have to take into consideration the cost of sending the US and UK navies to assist with the damage.

The media talks about "no clean water, no food, no health care" ..... honestly, that's not much of a difference than pre-quake haiti .. so hopefully, haiti can get it's act together and use this crisis to better themselves while they have the Worlds attention.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Im at home watching the news now. I see that China has increased their donation to 4.4 million now.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

This is the CCP you are talking about... Many Chinese people are great people and would have helped if they could, but for the most part most Chinese people are poor. The CCP cares more about making more money, increasing their military an to tilt the global economy to their favor, which is what they are using all their energy for.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join