It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House budget director blames old computers for ineffective government

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Yeah! lets keep playing the blame game!!!
woohooo!!! whatever happened to
"THE BUCK STOPS HERE" Obama?????

A big reason why the government is inefficient and ineffective is because Washington has outdated technology, with federal workers having better computers at home than in the office.

This startling admission came Thursday from Peter Orszag, who manages the federal bureaucracy for President Barack Obama.

The public is getting a bad return on its tax dollars because government workers are operating with outdated technologies, Orszag said in a statement that kicked off a summit between Obama and dozens of corporate CEOs.
thehill.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
You have to read between the lines they want new computers and this is they best way to do it. When will the masses wake the up? The truth is so easy to get but the majority would rather point fingers.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
This is a move in the right direction... At least they aren't blaming Bush anymore.

Sheesh, with all the spending of trillions here and there you'd think they could have funneled off some of it to upgrade all of their computers and networks.

The Obama administration is good with outsourcing, so the new system and technology should be Chinese, and we should have Russian computer scientists design and write all system software, we could also contract the Japanese to design the networks and integration, system security and encryption protocols.

Nothing good is made in America anymore anyway.

Go for it.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

You're close, but no cigar

They don't want new computers. They want to give massive, overpriced contracts to their computer hardware, software, and consuting buddies so they can skim a little action on the side.

[edit on 14-1-2010 by Feeling Frisky]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

I heard some company from Afghanistan/Pakistan have put a bid in on the security system. They are the highest bidders so it looks like they are a shoe in.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I'd be interested to find out which ones.

From a source I have, since depts must use every bit of their allocated money to be able to get that much and/or more the following year, people have some of the most ridiculous computers, printers, monitors, etc that can be bought and get new ones every year.

One woman got a $27,000 printer so she would not have to walk down the hall to the other $27,000 printer. She used it to print up the dept social functions each month on poster boards (ice cream socials, etc).

Another story, to transfer someone (cause they can't really be fired), they must promote them.

Woman repeatedly smeared her own feces on the walls of the female bathroom and then reported it. She didn't say it was her, but she was always the first to notice each time it happened.

She was promoted to get her out of that office. Magically, the poop bandit stopped the day she was gone.

The government is so wasteful, it would make most folks tear their hair out and grab their guns if they even got a whiff of 10% of it.

[edit on 14-1-2010 by KrazyJethro]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by joey_hv

What a load of (your word here). Do they really expect anyone believe this? What the next excuse going to be? Outdated vending machines?

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Hmmm!
Maybe that's a misprint, which should have said,
'White house budget director blames ineffective government for old computers'.
Maybe not.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by joey_hv
Yeah! lets keep playing the blame game!!!
woohooo!!! whatever happened to
"THE BUCK STOPS HERE" Obama?????

I found the answer at Town Hall website...

Seriously though, from the events surrounding the underwear bomber incident, it's become obvious that We the People can protect ourselves better than the government can. So that they don't over-spend more of our money to replace computers, they should start using their brains & stop trying to spend our way out of their debt. Simply limit government power back to Constitutional limits & they won't have to spend so much to keep it going. The criminal pundits in our Offices can't replace common-sense brain power with computers, ya' know...

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
Another story, to transfer someone (cause they can't really be fired), they must promote them.

Yes they can be fired...It's called Impeachment. Even a simple action to arrest them for acting in Breech of Oath & violating Civil Rights all across America will be sufficient.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by joey_hv

Gee, I wonder what their excuses were before computers.....

What a load of horse doody.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I'm surprised they didn't specifically blame the keyboards, at least the keyboards with the worn out "W" key.

Maybe Obama should hire the man that invented the internet to help.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightDStroyer

Yes they can be fired...It's called Impeachment. Even a simple action to arrest them for acting in Breech of Oath & violating Civil Rights all across America will be sufficient.

Sorry, I wasn't talking about elected officials. I was talking about the run of the mill government employees. Since I live right outside DC (in VA, where a lot of the government jobs are), they call a federal government job a golden ticket.

You can be just about terrible and do next to nothing, and you're still golden.

To be safe, I have not personally seen any of this as I have no desire to work for the government.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
Sorry, I wasn't talking about elected officials.

All government employees have to swear/affirm to an Oath of Office, right down to the local dogcatcher. Elected or appointed makes no difference...If they must take the Oath, they can be Impeached. If they don't take the Oath, then they have no lawful authority to use any government powers under the Constitution.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Dang, I just thought they needed new computers, until I read all the post, you guys are good.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   

All government employees have to swear/affirm to an Oath of Office, right down to the local dogcatcher. Elected or appointed makes no difference.

I think he was talking just run of the mill regularly hired civil servants.

You know secretaries and such.

Next to impossible to fire them after they have been around a while.

The V.A. is just riddled with these idiots.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Obama talked about the outdated technology when he was first elected, this isn't new, we knew it was coming as it well should be..

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
The 0 key sticks on all those old government computers. Shesh.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by calcoastseeker
I think he was talking just run of the mill regularly hired civil servants.

You know secretaries and such.

Next to impossible to fire them after they have been around a while.

The V.A. is just riddled with these idiots.

Yes, thank you. Sheesh.

I've been dealing with the V.A. recently too, but very few of the government departments are much better.

I knew a guy who worked for Dept of Labor as a DOS manager (pretty much nothing to do). The guy did nothing all day but fiddle on the internet and whittling wood (self admitted).

Took a two hour lunch to get more wood and eat. Was waiting the 2 years left until he'd get his retirement.

And no, to the other guy, very few government workers take an oath of office.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
The politicians in Washington are hopelessly outdated, slow, and inefficient.

We should replace them with a few Wiis and couple iPhones.

new topics

top topics

join