It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gangs Armed With Machetes Loot Port-Au-Prince

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
NO, no, no,

wcbstv.com...

What made the situation that much more tense was sightings of gangs of young men with machetes. On Wednesday they were seen getting into stores and taking all the supplies they could carry. The members of the gangs were seen marching up and down the streets with machetes raised and the competition among the gangs turned quite fierce.

Fights between gangs were seen on the streets. Machetes were flailing and it was impossible to predict what would happen next.

There was no sign of police or any kind of law and order.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Let's put this in context.

Is this looting or salvage?

Looting is taking for personal gain.

Salvage is taking for group survival.

I would side with salvage, given the circumstances, and try not to judge too harshly. After all, no one is in charge and if people are to survive the next few days, they need to help themselves. So I think rather than assuming that vicious greedy gangs are stealing tvs, someone has finally organized a few people to find food and water to distribute to family and friends. The machetes are necessary symbols to maintain order. I can only applaud initiative and wish them the best.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
A woman i was seeing 7 years ago, lived in bronx NY. HEr famliy is from Dominica. SHe was on vacation thier, and when she came back, told me one day she was looking out he window, a man was wunning down the street fast, antoher guy behind him close, runing after him, with a machete* this apparently is very common thier, and throughout the carribean* men and machetes*

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
This was to be expected... at least by me... whenever there is a disaster the worst people sometimes poke their little heads out of the garbage..

If they are looting to stay alive that is one thing but looting for the hell of it... well shoot em down.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

I do see your point,

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by lilwolf
This was to be expected... at least by me... whenever there is a disaster the worst people sometimes poke their little heads out of the garbage..

If they are looting to stay alive that is one thing but looting for the hell of it... well shoot em down.

I was hoping we could get help in the fast enough to alleviate this problem.

But yes, it is to be expected,

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Originally posted by lilwolf

I was hoping we could get help in the fast enough to alleviate this problem.

But yes, it is to be expected,

just saw on the news that help is on the way... but this is going to be a huge mess... food and all things needed are enroute... and the people will attack us in some way ... count on it...seen this happen in Zimbabwe some years back.... not a fun time at all.... saw it in Columbia and again not a good thing.... so someone is going to make a move and someone (our guys) are gonna bust a cap on someone and watch all hell break loose on that issue.... but that would be par for the course now days...

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by lilwolf

I understand, it could get a lot worse before it gets better,

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
It's going to get ugly there.

The people that survived the initial catastrophe are now faced with food and water shortages.

I would guess that the law enforcement is busy helping with rescues so young men are going to take matters into their own hands.

Sometimes it does become a survival of the fittest situation.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
There will be a lot of people that will condemn this, but how many of them have ever been hungry or without water. Really.

I have thought of this often and realize that if I was hungry, I too would do whatever it takes to survive.

A sad situation indeed, and someone who is just trying to provide for his family will die and be deemed a criminal.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
From what I understand, there are whole areas that were and are controlled by gangs. There wasn't police presence prior to the quake in those areas and there certainly isn't now. Very dangerous places even before this disaster.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Who's running Haiti? No one, say the people

www.alertnet.org...

Here is another.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
From what I understand, there are whole areas that were and are controlled by gangs. There wasn't police presence prior to the quake in those areas and there certainly isn't now. Very dangerous places even before this disaster.

Yes, I heard that as well.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by tribewilder
There will be a lot of people that will condemn this, but how many of them have ever been hungry or without water. Really.

I have thought of this often and realize that if I was hungry, I too would do whatever it takes to survive.

A sad situation indeed, and someone who is just trying to provide for his family will die and be deemed a criminal.

Yes, this happens sometimes, when we are in dire situations,

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Well, just goes to show. We're all not that far from the trees.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by concernedcitizan
Well, just goes to show. We're all not that far from the trees.

true

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Machete power.

I know for a fact that every good carebbean male has a MACHETE. My dad had one.

I grew up with machetes. We call them Cuban lawnmowers.

Seriously, though, a lot of prisoners got loose and it must be havoc there.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Organs salvaging, too...

Sad.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
There will be far worse horror stories that come out in the next few days and weeks.

I'm waiting for the stories to come out about the little girls and boys that are missing, only to find out they've been abducted, tortured, raped, and left for dead.

Imagine yourself in a poverty stricken city, no power, no lights, no food, no water, you're huddled in a makeshift tent in the middle of a park somewhere, trying to protect your family, and all of sudden you're awaken by a gang of hoodlums that take your 10 or 12 year old girl in the middle of the night.

I fear those stories are soon.....and scared that there will be many.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
In a situation like that you must differentiate between looting and survival. Take food, water, diapers and medicine to be used for medicine is simply survival in a massive natural disaster situation. Taking jewelry of the dead, plasma TV's (i.e. Katrina), medicine for recreational purposes, and items of value outside of near term survival needs is looting.

Order in Haiti seems to be tenuous at the best of times and people have been under severe stress for over 48 hours now. We will probably here more reports like those from the OP until some type of armed contingent is in theater to maintain what order that can be. It's unfortunate but not unexpected.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join