It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could use some help with 3 problems

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I have a Dell Inspiron B130. I stopped using it about a year or so ago because I thought the internet didn't work anymore. Well I plugged it in and it is working with a wired connection so I am trying to fix the rest of my problems until I can afford an updated laptop. Any help fixing this is greatly appreciated.

First off, the computer will not completely shut down.Also, it will not restart or log off users. Where it stops is after it removes the windows start bar and icons. Then it just sits there. I can still hear the computer running though. I have to press the button to get it to turn off completely

Second, after I turn my computer back on,I get an error message that reads:
"Error loading C:\WINDOWS\system32\wxsjojy.dll" I have no idea what this means

and Finally, I cannot get my wireless to pick up any networks. I just put one in my apartment and my girlfriend's picks it up, so I know it's there. When I go to "view wirless networks" it says it "cannot configure this wireless connection" it also says I may have another program running my wireless connection but as far as I know I do not.

Well those are my problems, again, any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
First and foremost I would go ahead and backup any critical documents, images or software you have on the machine then just reload it back to factory defaults using the disk or whatever method that particular model uses to roll back to original settings. Its going to clear up the dll issue most likely, which could very well be the result of some kind of nastyware.

With the system wiped clean check to see if it will power down without the manual button being used, and also check the wireless. If the wireless came with it (not an add-on card purchased separate from the computer) then from a factory load it should work, if it doesn't then chances are that the wireless card went bad. If its an add-on card and it still doesn't work after a reload and fresh up-to-date driver then it could also potentially just be the port that it plugs into; check the adapter in another computer and see if it works there.

I would almost bet money that the reload will clear some of the issues up, or at least eliminate possible causes of the problems and narrow thins down a bit.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Yhea what helig said!

Errmm I'll just add that if you do not have the original disk(s) - (I'm gonna assume windows... prob XP)...

Well if you don't have that disk and you don't mind a change so long as you have a functional computer you can get Linux for free - go for the latest Ubuntu or Mint 7 - both fairly easy to use and should work with the hardware no problem.

Of course there are ways of obtaining windows XP - but I couldn't possibly suggest that here... Oh you can also still buy it I believe

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

i'll try the linux thing. i can't find the original disk. thanks for the help, i will let you know how it goes.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings for the Dell Inspiron B130

If you still have your manual,check page 47

Don't forget to back up your personal files.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Since you stopped using it a year ago, you must not need any of the personal files.

I say, don't back anything up. Some of those file could be infected.

Reformat and reload the system and you should be alright.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
You could simply back up your personal files onto an external drive, then scan that drive with a good antivirus program on another computer, just to make sure those files are not infected before you return them to your machine. Or simply scan them on the clean machine before you put them back.

Does sound like reformat time, like others are saying.

Troy

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2
First off, the computer will not completely shut down.Also, it will not restart or log off users. Where it stops is after it removes the windows start bar and icons. Then it just sits there. I can still hear the computer running though. I have to press the button to get it to turn off completely

Probably Windows going funky.

Second, after I turn my computer back on,I get an error message that reads:
"Error loading C:\WINDOWS\system32\wxsjojy.dll" I have no idea what this means

That DLL file wants to load but can't. Google it and you might discover it's a virus.
The advice to restore to new is good.

and Finally, I cannot get my wireless to pick up any networks. I just put one in my apartment and my girlfriend's picks it up, so I know it's there. When I go to "view wirless networks" it says it "cannot configure this wireless connection" it also says I may have another program running my wireless connection but as far as I know I do not.

This means there's another program that has taken over configuration of the wireless. Check your system tray for other programs that reference the wireless.

Dell has a web page that's well-stocked with manuals and forums in case you need either.

Windows tends to get crudded up and go nuts over a period of time and requires constant cleaning or reloading. Blame Gates. The movies KILL BILL were really about him

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
an update on the wireless problem. I checked my drivers last night, and it showed my wireless card with the yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it. I then re-downloaded it, and the sign went away, but still no luck as far as it working. Could anyone tell me where to look to find out if I have another program running it. I just plain have no idea where to start. In my tray at the bottom it doesn't have anything else.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Another update: I restarted to last good configuration (don't know why i never tried that before) and the problem with it shutting down is solved.

I am still trying to find out how to find out what program is managing my wireless. Anyone with an idea for that?

I plan on handling the error message later on, it isn't hurting anything as of now

off to google the wireless problem in the mean time!

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Well, Windows XP has a wireless utility that looks like two computers screens, and the other utility that may have been installed with your wireless device, could look like an antenna, or bars or something, down in the lower right corner.

Uninstall your wireless software from "Device Manager" and anything from "Add/remove" programs. Then reinstall your wireless device from a disk, or from the Dell site, if it the device was included with your laptop.

I recommend just letting the Windows wireless utility (two computer monitors in XP) take care of the wireless connection, if you end up with two utilities.

Troy

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Oh yeah, and it wouldn't hurt to use a good program like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to scan your computer for viruses. You may be able to save yourself from a reformat, but I can't be sure yet.

Troy

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I uninstalled then reinstalled the wireless driver, that fixed that.

I then ran Malware bytes it cleaned things up, and now everything is fixed.

Thanks everyone for the help.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Sweet! I'm glad to hear that.

Troy

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Ah... (.dll) hell.

What I get from what you said is:

Your OS is corrupted/infected with virus/malware.

Like you were told before:

1) Backup all the data from your laptop
2) Use your "restore partion".
On your Dell laptop, there is a about a 5 gig partion you can't directly access.
By starting your laptop with a specific set of key strokes, it will start the restore process. What will happen is it will format your hard drive and load everything that was on your laptop when it was new.

Here is a link to 2 dell links on how to do the restore.

**********Note: this Will erase everything on your hard drive so you MUST backup all your data(video's/documents...)**********************************************

Ok, you resolved your issues, but this information will still hold when needed.

[edit on 1/18/2010 by mrmonsoon]

new topics

top topics

join