It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US military urged to act over extremists in its ranks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

US military urged to act over extremists in its ranks

news.bbc.co.uk

Two leading US senators have urged the Pentagon to take steps to combat the threat of Islamist extremism within the ranks of the US military.

The senators called for educating military personnel about the "warning signs of extremism".

The recommendation came in the wake of the Fort Hood shootings in Texas during which an Army major killed 13 people.

Maj Nidal Hasan, a psychiatrist at the base, has been charged with murder and attempted murder.

The 39-year-old American-born Muslim will be
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
2 Senators have called for reforms into how the military is trained concerning finding extremists that are amongst the ranks. Albeit the idea is a very good one, I believe that this is going to be used to single out or even persecute Muslims within the military. There is no mention of any procedures in finding the home-grown extremists that are in the military (I.E. Timothy McVeigh)...

I don't know but I think that if these procedures are not written properly, and enforced properly, we will have a high rate of false accusations, and less Muslims applying for the military. This despite the fact that the 2 senators mentioned that it should make it better for them...

Any thoughts?

Peace,

Magnum

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
And what if it DOES persecute Muslims? That's my question.

And when we talk of persecution, what do we mean - we make life a bit more difficult for those who are Muslim by requiring more checks and balances to prove that they stand alongside us in our war against terror? If that's the case, then so what!

How many Christians have you seen lately killing a bunch of their fellow officers or acting in an extremist manner? How many atheists? How many Jews?

Right now we're fighting Middle Eastern Terrorism which happens to be mainly Muslim extremists. Pardon my french, but so the hell what if this persecutes Muslims! Look at the times we're in right now and tell me that isn't somehow relevant.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
They paint it with the Muslim brush, but I would bet it's for all soldiers, especially the one's who don't agree with the orders they're being given or with what's happening back home.

Peace

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

So are you then advocating the same treatment of African-Americans who want a job? Are you saying that they should also be scrutinized because of the "war on drugs"??

If we would talk about relevance 50 years ago you would have said the same about African-Americans... Look at how we progressed... It's a shame that now they have been replaced with Muslims... Sorry no, I'm wrong, it's a shame they have been replaced at all...I can't say that we progressed either...

As far as Christians committing heinous crimes, just look at the KKK in the U.S. Maybe the military should look into that group as well...

Peace,

Magnum

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magnum007
reply to post by sos37

So are you then advocating the same treatment of African-Americans who want a job?

What in the world does that have to do with anything about your thread? Your thread is about Muslim Extremism in military ranks, not blacks finding jobs. I'm not making the connection between the two.

Are you saying that they should also be scrutinized because of the "war on drugs"??

What does the war on drugs have anything to do with the topic at hand? How are they even comparable? The war on drugs doesn't involve an extremist group conspiring to commit acts of terrorism, kill U.S. people and destroy the U.S. culture and way of life!

If we would talk about relevance 50 years ago you would have said the same about African-Americans...

No, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have! Answer this question: Was there a very real and constant threat of attack and terrorism from nations that were predominantly African-American 50 years ago? NO! There WAS NOT!

Look at how we progressed... It's a shame that now they have been replaced with Muslims... Sorry no, I'm wrong, it's a shame they have been replaced at all...I can't say that we progressed either...

As far as Christians committing heinous crimes, just look at the KKK in the U.S. Maybe the military should look into that group as well...

Peace,

Magnum

The KKK certainly aren't Christians, any more than those yahoos at the Westboro Baptist Church are Christians.

What you're trying to do is label me a racist because I'm sympathetic to our government or whomever taking extra time to scrutinize Muslims just because they are Muslims. News Flash: Our number one enemy right now is Middle Eastern terrorism, carried out by Muslim extremists. So YES, I support furthered scrutiny of Muslims in all secure places, including airports, and ESPECIALLY our military ranks. I will PROUDLY stand beside that statement. I am ALL FOR IT if it saves American lives.

[edit on 14-1-2010 by sos37]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
"War on Terror" what a joke. If you still think, after all these years, that we are in Iraq to "fight terrorism" you are in denial.

They are indeed "protecting our way of life" but not for the sake of freedom, it's for the sake of continued consumerism.

We are in Iraq for the oil. The MSM won't say it, nor will any career minded politician in the know, but for anyone monitoring domestic oil production and consumption rates or keeping up on recent international trends and opinions, it's obvious why we are there. Just look at where all the major bases are and the trucks marked Haliburton. This is an occupation, plain and simple.

So you see why Muslims might be just a little ticked off at the US. And as Dr. Love said, it's not just Muslims. People in general are pissed off. Pissed at bankers, and politicians with their rhetoric. The jig is up and the revolution will not be televised.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

I am simply illustrating exactly what you are doing ----> your comment was absolutely absurd, racist, and wrong on many levels.

To single out one group specifically and to say that it should be done methodically only based on religion is called profiling. It's like saying that the rest of the country will now be looking at all Texans from now on and scrutinizing them because they are all gun toting yahoos... It makes no sense. IT'S WRONG.

And BTW, the KKK are as Christian as much as Extremists are Muslims.

Peace,

Magnum

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I remember one time when I saw a Honda coming towards me as I was going up a hill and it was so surreal because the Honda was upside down and flying through the air.

Well it turned out that the driver had clipped another car from the side causing the Honda to become airborne and flip upside down.

The car then landed with a violent thud and slid about 40 yards before coming to a rest. I was the first on the scene, and the driver was almost unconscious. But what was interesting were the numerous weapons spread all over the road, including m16 ammunition, aluminum bats, several very scary knives, etc. what was even stranger was that the driver was in regular Army fatigues and had a Muslim name.

Now I wonder if maybe this was Major Hassan. Or possibly another radical within our troops. Either way, it was an interesting evening to say the least.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
scenario:

enlistee: Hello, I would like to join your army

Recruiter: ok.sign here

Elistee: can I have a weapon?

Recruiter: not yet but after some training, sure and not those bb guns either but big ones

Enlistee: oh, thanks be to alla! ooops i mean let's get those terror guys!

After being caught shooting several military men and only then will he say out loud he is a Islamic extremist, not before as that would blow his cover and not be conducive to terror.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Once, I was walking down the street, and OMG! I saw a guy with a beard and a Quran! He looked at me and I was sooooo scared...

Is this where this thread is going now? Is it going to be about spreading ignorance or about enlightening people as to the fact that this kind of thinking is WRONG! So what if he had weapons in his vehicle? There are gangs in the U.S. that carry more arsenal in their vehicles than most SWAT teams!!! And they are much more likely to kill you!!!

Start worrying about understanding the truth behind extremism and then you will worry less about an encounter with an "armed boogie man with a Muslim name"...

Magnum

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

reply to post by sos37

I am simply illustrating exactly what you are doing ----> your comment was absolutely absurd, racist, and wrong on many levels.

To single out one group specifically and to say that it should be done methodically only based on religion is called profiling. It's like saying that the rest of the country will now be looking at all Texans from now on and scrutinizing them because they are all gun toting yahoos... It makes no sense. IT'S WRONG.

Peace,

Magnum

The KKK has killed a bunch of military men recently? Profiling is what it's called and if the military cannot protect itself then who is gonna protect you?

Islamic terror is going to be a huge problem in North America soon enough, when it affects you and your family you'll change your tune.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
This is a great idea. But don't limit it to Muslims, how about potentialy psychos of any stripe? Including right wingers, Christians,Muslims etc.
Armed nutcases are a bad idea, throw in military training and you have a recipe for disaster, no matter what cause. Their first duty is to the Nation, not their own political or religious philosophy.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by habfan1968

First things first, you fear the unknown. You fear every Muslim person like you fear Swine Flu, AIDS, Cancer and all those other shenanigans... Listen to your discourse, you'll see it clearly.

Second, learn about the who's who in extremism. Learn about the truth behind terrorism. Also, learn about gang violence, gun violence, school shootings, disgruntled employee shootings, and such in the U.S. Take the amount of incidents, compare them. Take the amount of deaths, compare them... Then come back and tell me who is more likely to hurt you; the guy down the street who just lost his job, has to feed his family, and sees no way out? the guy who will stop at nothing to get drug money from you? the guy who needs to "prove himself" to get somewhere in his gang? or the guy who happens to believe he is Muslim with a bomb strapped to his pelvis?

Tell me... I am waiting...

Magnum

[edit on 10/1/14 by Magnum007]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Then come back and tell me who is more likely to hurt you; the guy down the street who just lost his job, has to feed his family, and sees no way out? the guy who will stop at nothing to get drug money from you? the guy who needs to "prove himself" to get somewhere in his gang? or the guy who happens to believe he is Muslim with a bomb strapped to his pelvis?

Tell me... I am waiting...

Magnum

[edit on 10/1/14 by Magnum007]

I can tell you I'm much more likely to fear a Muslim in traditional garb than any of the others because the others you mention look just like everyday Americans. But thanks to the MSM I'm so paranoid about Muslims that anyone I can readily identify as a Muslim I'm going to be afraid of.

It may not be the most intelligent reaction or way of thinking but let's get real, it's reality.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   

reply to post by sos37

Peace,

Magnum

If some extremist Texans suddenly start plotting terrorist attacks against other parts of the country then people SHOULD treat Texans with more scrutiny.

And your statement that what I said was wrong "on so many levels" is just your opinion. Thankfully I stand by what I said.

You don't seem to understand the enemy we're dealing with. The way they play, you cannot have security AND political correctness for all in secure areas. That includes airports, hospitals, industrial plants, and especially the military ranks. Sorry, but you just can't.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by sos37

It's more than just a question of being politically correct... It's a question of being human.

I guess you didn't do the research... I guess it's a good thing, because it would probably make you fear your own shadow...

BTW, you choose to live in the reality you want. You choose to be afraid. Too bad you need to live this way. Good luck in your life always looking at your 6 fearing for nothing... MSM 1, you 0.

Magnum

new topics

top topics

join