It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tourist killed by 'dinosaur-sized' shark off South African beach

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
That video is one of the reasons for one of my two rules to live by:

1: I don't haul anything in my truck that can go BOOOOOM!

2: I don't swim in water that has Big Giant Teeth swimming in it!

Zindo

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Holy homosexual jesus !!!

This has to be near the top of the list of the Worst Way to Die !!!

although it could have been worse .....

What if he had been lit on fire ?? before being eaten by a shark ??

sometimes we have to count our blessings.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   
A dinosaur sized shark - carcharadon megalodon anyone ?? 67ft long and 114 tonnes of prehistoric dinosaur like shark living between 25 to 1.5 million years ago...and maybe today aswell who knows.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by the_denv
Its a great white shark, its not a dinosaur.

G'day the_denv, interesting point some can argue the point with "For 15 million years that have roamed our world's oceans," like chickens

This is just horrific for Mr Lloyd Skinner being eaten alive in this day and age! What were the look-outs on the hills doing

This is Shocking and there will be more down here in Australia, South Africa and California as there are Monsters lurking as I type Hugh Whites and Tiger sharks that can eat you hole.I remember about 92' in South Australia a diver was eaten hole all that was left was his tank and one flipper his dive buddy said he heard what sounded like a Freight Train in the water as he saw his mate getting swallowed hole and the shark disappear as quick as it arrived.

These are the sizes an UP we are looking at:

and BIGGER

Zelong.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

Holy homosexual jesus !!!

This has to be near the top of the list of the Worst Way to Die !!!

although it could have been worse .....

What if he had been lit on fire ?? before being eaten by a shark ??

sometimes we have to count our blessings.

Not saying that I want to be eatten by a great white or anything else for that matter, but the victim in this case (considering how large the shark was) probably bleed out by the second bite which took all but about 5 to 10 seconds. Pretty quick way to go. Hate to be morbid here, nah just kidding i'm kinda enjoying it. Falling out of a tree-stand and breaking your back lying on top of a fire ant mound and being stung and slowly eatten over several days has to be up there at the top of the list.
Bottom line is that we will all become food one day.

Buried = worm food
Buried at sea = crab food
Cremated = plant food
No Burial = bacteria food
Plane crash in the alps = people food

Oh man I'm getting hungry..

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Should read the book titled MEG by Steve Alten while swimming in the darker waters. RIP to the tourist.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by the_denv

Woah Woah Woah there buddy... Dont call this murder...It was nature...

The shark hat ate this guy was no diferent than you stepping on an ant or having a nice plate of crab claws. Sharks pretty much only do 2 things Eat and Swim

Wouldnt it be cool to find out that this was either a really really big (record) sized Great White or even more impressive hard evidence of a megalodon

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Did that beach have a definition listing about the flag color code system?
If there was a sign it should have written in multiple languages. This kind of danger is more important than street warning signs.

Maybe the big sharks should be tagged and monitored through the GPS satellite system. This way the whole world can watch them on Google earth or something. The life guard stations would monitor the sharks through the GPS tracking system.

That's not too difficult. Have a team go to the Shark jumping area and single each one of them out. Have them install a transmitter onto their bodies and see how the GPS signal responds. The most interesting thing to note is the depth signal loss level.

The project would at least give people jobs. We seem to be running short of these lately. How about a UN initiative on this mater?

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by lostinspace

That actually sounds like a pretty good idea. I just dunno how practical or easy it'd be to get one of those chips in a shark. You can't sedate it really, afterall, can you?

But I think it'd be awesome being able to watch them on Google Earth, just to see where they are.

It could lead to hunting problems though...

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Ayana

It could be easy. Humans can invent anything if they put their mind to it.

Go to an area where there are seals or areas known for shark attacks. Drop that big piece of dead cow in the water and let them eat it. Make it so the cable holding the meat gets them close to the ship so they can sedate the dorsal fin. Then they can clamp on the specially designed GPS transmitter.

The navy can watch for transmitter inactivity, where it might be discarded in the ocean and sinks to the bottom or comes on land. Snag the poachers in the act.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Zelong

Now see that is exactly the two things I was talking about in my first post.

First those sharks are just freaking massive. If someone does not respect a fish like that they are either stupid or foolish. Swimming in waters with those fish certainly gives you a good opportunity to be fish bait. That last one looks as though it could have taken two people at the same time.

Secondly unless they are going to be eating those sharks it is sad they felt a need to kill them. I have eaten shark it is rather good, but I would never kill one just as a trophy or for sport. The need of man to kill things just to prove they can is very low class in my book. The need to kill for food on the other hand or possibly to protect yourself/family and then eat it for food is another. In the end if you are going to kill it, it should be eaten.

Not saying you condone the killing it is just that the pics you posted are a good example of what I was talking about in my post.

Raist

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Just to put it out there...

This happened in Great White capital of the world right?

So would it be fair to say that people that live in that area kow what a great white looks like?

To have people that live and work in the great white capital of the world to say it was any other than normal shark size or "yeah it was a big great white" seems strange to me

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by BingeBob
Just to put it out there...

So would it be fair to say that people that live in that area kow what a great white looks like?

To have people that live and work in the great white capital of the world to say it was any other than normal shark size or "yeah it was a big great white" seems strange to me

Nope, The Great White Capital I believe is in South Australia(The Great Australian Bite) Great Whites breed down there and either venture west and end up at South Africa or venture east and end up at California.
I feel when locals, like you mentioned, are used to shark sightings and state "'dinosaur-sized'" this means Believe it.

Now something that hasn't been mentioned here is the Other (bigger) Great White that was further out at sea lurking and keeping this man-eater on the coast this is why the men-eater attacked because he was hungry.

The Huge Great Whites are loners they have to be they will eat Any other great white in their area including other big Whites!

Zelong.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Well if South Africa is not GW capital...Its gota be a close 2nd

Either way, these people know what sharks look like...

Interesting point though...Whats psuhing this monster in shallow???

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
It's terrible that someone was eaten, but like someone said, if they flew the flags, they took the risk. The thing i cannot stand that always comes out of these incidents is people calling out to cull the beasts, be it shark, croc, whatever. They are in their territory, doing what's only natural to them, and we are the ones always encroaching on their home, and putting our lives at risk - and THEY should be killed?

Stupid.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Zelong

Absolute monsters! HUGE! Great pictures
. I remember hearing stories as a child from my grandfather who used to surf on the open side of North Stradbroke island (Queensland) in probably the late 40's about how they would stand on the cliffs and watch the massive sharks swim all the way into the shallows, like knee depth. Back then he said people tended to heed warnings and back off, today there are so many thrill seekers and weekend-warriors that we are bound to only see more and more deaths per year as people disregard the warnings given. Sad, but hey, you take the risk!

<< 1   >>

join