It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Consumer Cheif warns: Take Cheap Jewelry From Children

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   

" LOS ANGELES – The nation's product safety agency issued an unprecedented warning Wednesday to parents: Don't give your children cheap metal jewelry. And if they already have some, toss it because it could contain hazardous levels of heavy metals such as lead and cadmium.

Writing in a blog posting Wednesday evening, the chairman of the Consumer Product Safety Commission noted that children who chew, suck on or swallow a bracelet charm or necklace may be endangering their health.

"I have a message for parents, grandparents and caregivers: Do not allow young children to be given or to play with cheap metal jewelry, especially when they are unsupervised," wrote Inez Tenenbaum, the chairman of the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

In making the recommendation, Tenenbaum cited an investigation by The Associated Press which reported high cadmium levels in kids' jewelry items imported from China including bracelet charms from Walmart and Claire's stores."

news.yahoo.com...

[mod edit: added required external source tags]
Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.
Also:

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread. If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sites; please post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

[edit on 14-1-2010 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Go ahead, keep on shopping at Walmart.

Most people are quite content to save a buck at the expense of the economy, their children's financial, and now health future.

The corporate greed at the top trickles down through the masses untill the whole system rot's from the inside out.

Is this why were funneling all of our money over to China ??? so they can ship us back toxic toy's for our kids ??

how much more of this are we gonna take ??

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Gotta live the Chinese. The US bans lead and they resort to Cadmium for Christ's sake. It's only ten times more toxic and harmful than lead. Better yet, they make children's jewelry out of it. How much of this jewelry will end up in the mouths of toddlers and children at some point?

This is the mentality of a cut rate Chinese businessman.

"Business is business, and it's all up to our client," said He Huihua, manager of the Suiyuan Jewelry Shop at International Trade City in Yiwu, a sprawling wholesale mecca where sellers pitch their wares in hopes of landing a lucrative export contract.

He spoke from a small cubicle with rows of dangling metal earrings and key chains hanging on the wall. Elsewhere, brooches, necklaces, charms and other baubles shone under the market's lights.

"We just make what our clients order. If they pay more, we use the better raw material, and vice-versa. From a few cents to a few dollars, we can make the same style of jewelry product with a different raw material."

Asked what he thought about the health risks associated with cadmium and other toxic metals, He said: "I can't be overly concerned about that."

You pay cheap...We give you cheap...
How about this option..Safe and reasonably priced.

www.cleveland.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Let me think about this a little bit, they ask us to throw it away?

You know in cases of contaminated goods, normally, someone trying to protect us might ask us to send the material in and do a study on the contamination.

Their solution, oh just throw away all of it, nothing to see here.

When are we going to quit buying from China.

Here is a conspiracy for you. The Chinese have been invaded by TPTB and are intentionally poisoning you and your children. They are poisoning your water, your food, your products from China.

How bout them POISON apples?

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
China...poisoning us slowly. Genius plan on their part.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Thats what I thought as well, ... I would not doubt if some of these contamination's were put in on purpose.

I mean its the best of both worlds for them, they get to dispose of toxic waste and were PAYING them for it !!

join