It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the Information Technology Conspiracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
There's a Conspiracy in Information Technology Since 1995 Where majority of Computer Software(particularly Computer Games) are can only run on Microsoft Windows Thanks to the DirectX and to Make this Even Worse Windows 98 and later Versions are designed to be more Vulnerable to Viruses and By 2000 Most Antivirus are can be More expensive and they can only Delete or Quarantine Infected Files and the Conspiracy is Most Computer Viruses that Lurking in the Web are Deliberately and Secretly by Software Giants in Order to drive people to buys Expensive Antivirus.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by masonicon

You may be right about later versions of windows being more vulnerable to infection. I'm not entirely sure the reason of this is simply to sell anti-virus software though. Especially considering there are excellent free anti-virus programs, such as AVG, and Comodo.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Interesting ... There is probably conspiracy behind DirectX family and its HW implementation (Nvidia M$), but virus/antivirus conspiracy was never proved. Any hints?

EDIT to add: Windows are insecure by design. If you install win, you do not install only kernel but lot of interconnected services which you will probably never use (nor understand - there is NO useful documentation to many M$ crap). It is as building house from the roof. Instead of installing kernel and then adding needed services, you install babel conglomerate. After 16 years on win I'm so happy with Linux ...

[edit on 14-1-2010 by zeddissad]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by zeddissad

Interesting ... There is probably conspiracy behind DirectX family and its HW implementation (Nvidia M$), but virus/antivirus conspiracy was never proved. Any hints?

EDIT to add: Windows are insecure by design. If you install win, you do not install only kernel but lot of interconnected services which you will probably never use (nor understand - there is NO useful documentation to many M$ crap). It is as building house from the roof. Instead of installing kernel and then adding needed services, you install babel conglomerate. After 16 years on win I'm so happy with Linux ...

The Proof is My files were Mistaken for Computer Virus that Have no Information that exist on Avira website.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   

I'm afraid that I do not understand you completely. As network admin in mixed environment (UNIX/WIN) I'm very interested. Can you elaborate your proof please?

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I think the theory that these anti viral software companies hire people to manufacture and distribute virus's has been discussed for a long time.

Theres enough people who distribute them for fun or malicious usage anyway without companies doing it themselves.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
What I fail to understand is why people still buy expensive Microsoft Windows and expensive anti-virus software for their home PC, when many, many Linux operations systems can be downloaded from absolutely free? I run Fedora myself, and I can easily get probable 150 games through Yum if I choose to. Plus, never get a virus, pop ups are non existent as are adds and flash that runs automatically, and not only that, Linux is more secure and much faster than any Microsoft product to date...I am a PC repairman, I work on all of them. Most have the drive filled up with cookies and temp files, and BTW, Windows degrades after a few months usage.
distrowatch.com...

fedoraproject.org...

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

I have been working in the information technology field for 30 years. What the OP says is essentially true. Windows is written to get people to buy the updated version in a rat race to attempt to get a secure version which is never possible. It is like tying a hotdog to a dog's nose to get it to chase after something it can never get. Whether deliberate or not, Microsoft creates an inferior product and they make more money because of that. I think that says more about the customer than Microsoft. I will never pay for another "version" of the virus "Windows" ever again. I am very happy with my MAC, which has never been a problem and outperforms Windows in every way. I have also used Linux and it works well with few problems. I only use old versions of Windows as a toy and never for serious computing. If you want a secure system (not that anything can be fully secure) get something other than Windows. If a software company wants to write their software to only run on Windows, then I will not buy their product.

I do not know if they write viruses to attack their own systems but I can understand why some people may think they would. I consider the Windows operating system in itself a virus.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
well since windows is not open source the only way to make the code more secure is through capitol means.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
This reminds me quite a bit of a post I did a couple of days ago in the Atheist Genda thread Which is here post by m0r1arty

To save you hassle of following the link it goes as below:

Originally posted by m0r1arty

"As I am a PC and my wife is a Mac, my view on this subject is that Linux should keep to itself and stop being talked about in magazines, television, movies and schools. I mean its free and anti-consumer, so it shouldn't get free advertisements or reviews from anyone; does Microsoft or Apple?.

Sure I can see the appeal of fully knowing what is in your system, having free software, multi-language Open Source communities that are friendly and will assist you with any particular problem you have, being compatible on older systems and being easy to use.

But what of the giants from whence it came? WIMP interfaces had to be created (widely contested as to who created them, but we all know it wasn't Linux!), technology had to come along (at a pace, so we could make it worth our shareholders while), compatibility didn't just come out of nowhere (even though we are shoehorning our users against that now, there is only one true OS!) and opening ourselves up to schools wasn't easy (of course they are being trained on our particular operating systems - which will benefit their future employers).

I mean if we all turned to Linux based systems it would be chaos. Think of all the unemployment. Who is going to design cutting edge software if all the programmers are having to work as street cleaners. Think about all the viruses that are just waiting to pounce once people turn away from the true operating systems. Can anyone guarantee that these hackers, who obviously use torrents to share their software as a way of masking their intellectual property theft, can be trusted? You give us money, that's a contract. With these charlatans you supposedly get it for free.

If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is.

We're not against people practising with Open Source technologies, in fact some of our best friends have Google Android on their phones, we just think that they shouldn't be walking about telling other people about it and spouting it off as if it were the truth. It's obvious that it's a fashionable thing and that people will turn back to Microsoft and Apple once they've gotten it out of their systems.

I mean, can you imagine a world without Microsoft and Apple?

That'd be hell!!

Here's a small video published using Open Source technology which also promotes evil Open Education ideals, watch it and tell me how repulsive it is:

That type of thinking will get you into trouble. Yessiree Bob. You stick with the fold and we'll look after you; like we've always done. No sense rocking the boat.

-m0r

PS: I do hope you get some semblance of my point here."

I realise I'm traversing 2 independent topics here but if there was a conspiracy in technology it is, like mainstream religious in the west, dissipating with the coming of the critical thinker.

I'm sure we'll all have MS and Apple T-Shirts before too long and wear them the same way we do with Atari and Commodore to show our respect to the giants of the time.

-m0r

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by zbrain75

fully agree with you ... there is just one big trouble and it is Adobe ... they will not port their "Creative suit" on Linux any time soon and I'm not totally sure if win troubles cost me more money than overpriced Mac (+ reeducation of staff). I'm thinking about this last 2 years really hardly.
Our network is built on SBS bases (prior to my engagement) and it is so hard to switch from win to something more flexible and better documented. They are pure bastards in core M$ team. I clearly # on their heads. Same bastards at Apple but their products work usually better then M$ crap.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

Thanks (really) for nice movie. There are two options:
a) all your post is ironical and than I agree with you
b) time of "giants" has passed, there is no competition between Mac and M$ (both are just vampires). More then 60% of inet infrastructure run on opensource and there is no reason why 99% of computers can not run same way - just idiotic capitalistic marketing schemes prevent as from enjoying full benefits of opensource. Hey! Do get programmers The money? No. Just shareholders and management - pure jokers. Did you ever see S. Balmore on company meeting? Idiot ... he is just idiot lasting for more and more money ... Well, it is his trouble, but his trouble do troubles to me because I must do administration of his company BS work. After 15 years in IT I want to have NOTHING to do with M$ scam. Apple is much better for me because based on POSIX/UNIX scheme, no registry and easily removable crap.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I wouldn't say its a conspiracy as such, its quite difficult from a developers point of view to provide multi-platform coding of any given application software (which already ran into millions of lines of code and tweaking for one platform) especially when hardware companies insist on trying to push their own formats monopoly style.

You get it with everything not just computers. Think about the old Video tapes (Beta Max and VHS formats), look at the way we have different Signal frequencies for our tvs across countries. Stupid crap like that is standard business practise, it makes it very difficult for the third party producers to work across multiple platforms without large in house staff on hand to do such work.

If anything in regards games I would say the industry is trying to force gaming onto Consoles, we barely see anything for the PC anymore except for FPS, RTS and MMO's. FPS games are more and more being made focused on the consoles, and the reason RTS and MMO's are still PC bound is because the keyboard, mouse and high def display needed to play them, give it a few more years though and I think the games market will be mostly off the PC for "serious games". From game developers point of view having to work with various hardware and operating specs, as well as having to deal with the massive ease PC titles are pirated, its not a very attractive prospect when they can just make 2 or 3 port versions for the consoles and have very minimal pirating of their games going on.

The Anti-Virus conspiracy is true, a lot of bad virus come from virus killing companies (maybe not all of them but definately some companies are doing this), and even the good companies will you give you false alerts to make sure you keep their product installed. That said their are a load of really nasty virus's out there, as anyone who has used this site unprotected can attest, so its better to make sure you do have an anti-virus, maleware detection and firewall in place.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by gYvMessanger

You have quite sane view on topic. Gaming sphere was one of main forces in PC industry for last 10 years - at least at workstations market. How do you predict PC/workstation market in next 5 years? How do you look on earlier discussed DirectX SW/HW bound? Because this is main advantage of M$ just now (if we do not look on market share). Do you have any opinion about leading role of M$ workstations in near future?

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by zeddissad
Thanks (really) for nice movie. There are two options:
a) all your post is ironical and than I agree with you

Glad you liked the movie. You also got my reasoning for my post in one!

Originally posted by gYvMessanger
The Anti-Virus conspiracy is true, a lot of bad virus come from virus killing companies

Do you remember the way that Norton handled their PIFTS.EXE update?

You are damn right about virus's, datamining and general malness for us all coming from these 'respectable' companies. The CIA funded Facebook and a whole wealth of Social Media which must give us pause for concern - non?.

As for serious gamers. I'm waiting for Google Chrome to truley open up the market; Open Source and free for all!

I am a huge fan of what Microsoft has done - seriously. But their time has passed and instead of doing what they started out as doing (making things compatible with each other) they are driving us apart for profit.

I suppose it's the old crash-and-burn theology though, they've had their time and didn't make the most of it...

...No tears here.

-m0r

EDIT: BASIC Kelsey Grammer.

[edit on 14/1/2010 by m0r1arty]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by zeddissad

In 5 years ? It is hard to say. Basically people should understand that the games market is what funded the technology push, it is why personal computers took off so big originally and it is where a lot of money came in for the original hardware and software houses. From that perspective the companies (or company in the pc field) that managed to lock down the market with powerful integration of software and hardware, and then made it easy for 3rd party developers to work with them but would insist that they work ONLY with them (in the console market this happened a lot as well) led to application driven sales of hardware. bla bla you can see the loop.

So yea of course DivX gave Microsoft a huge edge over Apple in that regard.

So we have to consider that if "serious" games are taken off PC's that the expotential growth in PC power will slow down, however the games market whilst still a driving force of profit for the tech industry is no longer the driving force behind PCs.

So what is ?

PCs nowdays are multi-media manipulation centers. They fufill all kinds of functions, though again these functions could easily be performed on other devices (such as the consoles which are basically modded PCs).

Google are pushing the idea of Cloud (and you can expect them to push it very heavily in the coming years) moving the idea of having "your" operating system bound to any given physical workstation, to instead being something you call up on various devices wherever you are, which if it takes off would mean that the home PC market will change massively.

It would not surprise me to see that people who need personal computers for powerful application software (bulding website / graphics / publishing / accounting whatever) moving into apples court. Whilst the casual user moves over to Google and other Cloud companies that will spring up.

This is partly because with the rise of powerful personal hand held units, with rumors of Apple working on a portable permanently wireless connected I-Tablet style device. Really I would expect everything to change very soon in what devices and operating systems we use.

If you have a high def 40-50inch tv in your living room and a ps3 (for example) you can download music, movies, tv, you can surf the internet and you can play games. All you need is access to some word processing apps and a usb keyboard and the casual user suddenly no longer needs a PC. Furthermore the consoles are designed with the intent that they kinda break semi-regularly, sure microsoft or sony will fix them for you and send them back, and do it quick, but not if you modded it. Which means no illegal downloading of media (because the ps3 wont let access those channels), which means no illicit upgrading of your machine, no unexpected stuff cropping in your hardware that may throw software off of kilt.

All of that sounds very attractive if your a third party developer looking to get paid, or a large media conglomerate looking at how to maximize your money coming in via the internet and to replace fading revenue streams.

Cloud operating systems will work in the same way, I expect for that reason they will receive massive support from the financial backers. The difference is these operating systems will eventually (quite a way off) be truly multi-platform.

Microsoft know this, and they are adjusting ready for it. Gates bid of total world domination has failed and now they are getting ready for round two.

Whats round two ? Oh well you see the Nattal how it works is its actually a series of cameras, like the i-toy but several of them are used to gain depth perception etc. Microsoft would like to have that kind of tech built into monitors so that home users of computer workstations will able to use microsoft driven software to have a Nattal like experience for everything they do on the PC (and obviously other microsoft devices eventually). The Nattal is the prototype for this.

Think about it, multiple cameras built into the frames of your devices (Microsoft TVs anyone ?!?). Reliable touch screen tech, dont even have to touch the screen it can sense you near it. It can also do a lot of other things if you have a suspicious mind. Of course companies will still need to be compliant with Microsoft if they want their software to be run properly using this new peripheral type.

They keyword for tech in this decade is going to be portable though, and portable will mean your "cyber presence". Most of this we wont see proper signs of until the end of the decade I expect. It will take time for software houses to adjust, not much time, but the development cycle of things is normal 1-3 years. The starting projects for these things will be coming out this year, but I would estimate 5 years before casual take up begins to be significant with dominance happening within 10-15 (3 more development cycles).

[edit on 14-1-2010 by gYvMessanger]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by gYvMessanger

Once again well pronounced post.

Yes, gaming market was major force in PC development for last 10 years. Personally I stopped my gaming career sometime around CounterStrike1.1 - it was wonderful time BTW
- just at time when D3D started to beet down OpenGL. I used OpenGL another two or three years in 3ds Max.
I agree that "gaming console" will replace home PC. It is cheaper then PC and offer better "experience" for most of users. Finally they will not be forced to decide if they want to sit in front of TV or PC
Another point here is that CPU around 2.000MHz is sufficient for 99.9% of users. With current GPUs it is not problem to play movies at HD and basic video editing is also comfortable. I'm just trying to say that games were not only "motor" of PC hardware development - for sure this other reasons were saturated with dual-core CPUs.
I still have my first dual CPU PC - started @ 2x333MHz PentiumII, ended @ 2x760MHz PentiumIII - that is scalability. My dualcore notebook was stolen so I'm working now on 1.800MHz Celeron. There are troubles with purely coded web pages (flash and java) but basically it is sufficient for me as I'm working in text based environment which is much faster and "logical" then any GUI.
More and more traditionally in-house applications will be outsourced to some cloud computing systems. For small company it will be much cheaper to hire space at cloud then to pay IT specialist who can build network from scratch. But still from some level companies want their data in house (we are just moving our six rack towers to basement because of EMP security). Also I think that many individuals will realize that it is better idea to keep their data on personal storage - datahouses with direct link to alphabet soup agencies will never gain trust among reasoning people.
As I see it the main battle is OpenOffice against M$Office software. This is last M$ bastion. When it fail, all M$ crap will go to hell. All M$ marketing idea is better suited for consoles then for real PCs. And here we are going back to OP. Yes, there is widening gap between IT professionals and IT users but the gap between IT enabled and IT disabled persons is shrinking. Almost everybody in western society have chance to actively use IT and most of people do it by their way.

Sorry for chaotic post - I'm starting to be DRUNK ....

EDIT to excuse: Obviously I'm too drunk - whole "technological gap" should go to this:
ATS thread

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Emiai
I think the theory that these anti viral software companies hire people to manufacture and distribute virus's has been discussed for a long time.

Theres enough people who distribute them for fun or malicious usage anyway without companies doing it themselves.

Perhaps trend PC Cilin is the Very Last antivirus software than can Clean Infected Files Without Deleting it(other than Quarantine of course) and Back to early 2000s they have already become thing of the past

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   
The Real conspiracy is: Microsoft Windows is used to Dumbing Down Human race so People Depends on it and to make this even Worse Microsoft Windows is Prone to Bugs, Glitches, Errors, and Malwares.

new topics

top topics

join