It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ultimate Test

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I have been reading a number of threads on ATS the past few week that have given me pause for thought. The gist is that humanity faces destruction because of our collective consciousness asking to be punished.

This thought has inspired me to ask a hypothetical question but I decided to do it through a short story. This is my first attempt at writing a story so please excuse my style or lack thereof.

It's a miserable night, the wind is howling down the chimney and my dog Shadow stretches and yawns as he soaks up the warmth from the log fire. The rain is beating on the roof in waves and the sound of running water on the patio is a constant niggle at the back of my mind. I should have fixed the gutter yesterday when it was still dry I thought to myself.

As I sit back in my chair, I sigh, thinking about how lonely it is in the house since my wife left to go on a trip to see her folks. I haven't seen anybody for days, I must have a tendency to be a bit of a hermit, I pondered

The fire needs more wood, and that means a trip to the shed, bugger! my choices are either get wet, get cold or have a few more drinks and go to bed. My dog looks at me accusingly and then looks back to the fire. It appears my dog has made the decision for me.

The rain sounds as though it is easing off a bit so I slip on my shoes, pull my coat over me and grab the bucket from the side of the fireplace. "you coming Shads?" "No" came the reply in a way only my dog can tell me, his eyes firmly fixed on the bucket as I empty the remaining chips of wood on the fire. "Who's the boss around here?" I mumble as I put my hat on and make my way to the back door.

As I step out onto the patio, I am suddenly startled by a bright light shining in my face. My reaction was shock thinking, "who the hell is on my property", and a cold shiver runs through me. I stood their like a rabbit in the headlights trying to make sense of what I was seeing. The light wasn't a torch, it was much bigger and it seemed to be throbbing.

As I gathered my senses I realized that the light was about twenty feet off the ground. I put the bucket down and raised my hand up to my eyes to see if I could make out any detail.

The light suddenly changed to a dark red. My heart was pounding as I could see the silhouette of a figure floating down from the light, its limbs where motionless as it silently glided towards me. "Who are you", "what do you want", I said trembling and choking through the lump in my throat. The figure approached closer. My instinct was to run back into the house but I was frozen on the spot, I couldn't get my body to do anything I wanted. It was as if the message from my brain to my muscles was being jammed and all I could do was stand and wait for whatever was my fate.

The figure stopped and hovered about six feet in front of me. I could just about make out the small size, and humanoid shape as it blocked the deep red light. I was now completely speechless and couldn't even hear myself breathing.

There was just a low hum inside my head and my eyes where transfixed on the creature in front of me. The hum then became a rushing sound, like wind with a high frequency whistle. The creature was somehow trying to communicate with me, the sound then changed again and sounded like birds, and then a deep rumble.

After a few seconds my own voice started talking to me inside my head but I couldn't control my own thoughts. The voice greeted me and told me to not be afraid, and I immediately felt a little easier. The voice ... my voice, explained that it was from a race of people who travel through the universe. Their mission was simple and clear. It explained that the universe is full of life, and that a balance had to be maintained. Each planet they visit, a test has to be conducted. The test is to determine whether a planet and it's alpha population where worthy to develop and flourish.
This test was always performed on just one random subject from each civilization

"Pass the test and the population of your planet will receive help, through the gift of technology", it said. We can advance your people thousands of years beyond your present understanding, he explained. Fail the test and the whole alpha population of your planet will be terminated.

"What the, I don't...." I mumbled..... All, that is, except for you and your close ones he interrupted. You would be shown things beyond your wildest imagination and we will provide you with everything you need for the rest of eternity as a reward for your part in the cleansing.

What is the test I spluttered, hoping to God it wasn't a mathematical question. The test is a test of your spiritually, he replied. From your answer we can determine the level of spiritual advancement your race has achieved. The test is very simple.

If you sacrifice your own life and spirit this very moment, then we will know, that your species is worthy to survive.

We require your answer .... now.

To be continued ..... by you.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by kennyb72]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by kennyb72

Sitting here in relative comfort with no threat around me that answer has to be ok kill me now so the rest of humanity can live on. After all there is really no choice as if you believe this creature then they are going to kill you anyway.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MAC269

Actually the entity tells you that you and your close ones will live for eternity in bliss, so it makes the question a little more interesting.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
How could I sacrifice my "own" spirit? It isn't mine. It's everybody's. The question seem a bit loaded. So, I'm immediately suspicious of their ability to provide any advancement if they don't understand that. They probably just want my kidneys.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Considering that this being also said that I should not be afraid having thought about it a little more I don’t think I would be inclined to believe what they said.

The choice being that either he kills you and maybe you go to a place of eternal bliss or they finish the whole race. Not much to be afraid of there.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I am thinking I would have to tell the alien to do me and my loved ones in along with the rest of humanity. Can you even imagine us with BETTER technology? We'd be a nightmare. I would tell him to save the rest of the galaxy and do us all in, but ask him to make it as quick and painless for the people as possible. The end.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

In that case, tell them you don't want to piss and poo your pants when you die and that you must relieve yourself first. While inside, grab the shotgun, come back and say in a terminator voice, "pass this!"

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Everyone is one spirit having different life experiences. Some of the Human Beings are more advanced in spirituality then others.

It is not a persons fault if they are not as spiritually advanced, the world we live in is corrupt and being properly educated about Buhddism, natural law and common law is uncommon, so people are confused.

Sacrificing my spirit would be odd, I already know my purpose on this planet and it is effecting everyone in the world today positively.

I am Buhddist and I have an Indigo Aura.

Namaste

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Lol, that might be a more effective way of getting them to annihilate us all. He might take my original idea as some indication that we humans had evolved to the point of altruism, and spare us all based on my willingness to sacrifice us all for the good of the rest of the galaxy.

Ok, Im going with your plan.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   

I was thinking they might just leave everyone be or just take everyone out. My act of unmitigated gaul is a willingness to self-sacrifice for all and at the same time displays a lack of development beyond base and violent instincts. I already agreed to their terms on their terms and simply asked for a respectable and non-embarrasing end to myself. They asked for an immediate decision and did not specify further terms about how it would happen or when.

I'm just trying logically to force them out of the two choices they presented without resorting to begging.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

How could I sacrifice my "own" spirit? It isn't mine. It's everybody's. The question seem a bit loaded. So, I'm immediately suspicious of their ability to provide any advancement if they don't understand that. They probably just want my kidneys.

Yum! th,th,th,th,th,

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   

I am thinking I would have to tell the alien to do me and my loved ones in along with the rest of humanity. Can you even imagine us with BETTER technology? We'd be a nightmare. I would tell him to save the rest of the galaxy and do us all in, but ask him to make it as quick and painless for the people as possible. The end.

I just hope they don't visit you first, lol

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

While inside, grab the shotgun, come back and say in a terminator voice, "pass this!"

Hmmm, that should work!!

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   

I'm just trying logically to force them out of the two choices they presented without resorting to begging.

Where does pride come into it, begging sounds like a good option.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Such a thing would never need to be asked. The aliens should be able to read peoples minds or atleast be a good enough converstationalist to find out these things without making somone commit suicide.

The whole premise of this thread is off, but hey.. if crazy people think they need to kill themselves to save the world.... they might be right.

LOL!

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Quickfix

Sacrificing my spirit would be odd, I already know my purpose on this planet and it is effecting everyone in the world today positively.

The alien says, times up, Kaboom

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

It is just a hypothetical Wertdagf, the question is supposed to provoke thought on what your answer may be.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by kennyb72
Where does pride come into it, begging sounds like a good option.

Begging would only have them restate the options or force a default choice of alpha extermination. A brash action or perhaps if they could read minds, barbaric intent for the good of all, might have a different outcome and give you a chance to enforce your own ethical code which in IAG's opinion, that we aren't ready for the tech yet at the same time avoiding mass extinction. The chips are down.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Edit: Double posted

[edit on 1/13/2010 by EnlightenUp]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   

If I were to die the U.S. would fall into another war with China. Millions would die.

Kill one and kill millions, or save me and possibly save, the world from war.

That would be my response..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join