It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are We the Descendents of Aliens?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Panspermia is the theory that seeds of life exist already all over the Universe, that life on Earth may have originated through these seeds and that they may have delivered life to other habitable bodies.

The first known mention of the term was in the writings of the 5th century BC Greek philosopher Anaxagoras.
www.bio.miami.edu... 

In the nineteenth century it was again revived in modern form by several scientists, including Jöns Jacob Berzelius (1834), Kelvin (1871), Hermann von Helmholtz (1879) and somewhat later, by Svante Arrhenius (1903). 

Panspermia does not only suggest that life originated once and subsequently spread through the entire Universe, but also that once started, it may be able to spread to other environments suitable for replication.

An example of panspernia is when Martian Asteriod ALH 84001 landed on earth... 

Evidence for Ancient Martian Life in ALH 84001.

An examination of a meteorite found in Antarctica and believed to be from Mars shows: 1) hydrocarbons which are the same as breakdown products of dead micro-organisms on Earth, 2) mineral phases consistent with by-products of bacterial activity, and 3) tiny carbonate globules which may be microfossils of the primitive bacteria, all within a few hundred-thousandths of an inch of each other.
nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Who knows how many asteroids are scattered around earth with microbial life on them, still undiscovered.

Look how differnt humans are from the rest of earth life. Maybe we came here on an asteroid just like ALH 84001...

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Those who might actually know those from whom we descended aren't saying anything

but whomever we descended from, one thing's clear

THEY WEREN'T VERY NICE !

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dock9
Those who might actually know those from whom we descended aren't saying anything

but whomever we descended from, one thing's clear

THEY WEREN'T VERY NICE !

Why would you say they weren't very nice? They did "give us life".

I think panspermia is a very cool idea. S & F

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I don't see any other explanation.

Of course, this would explain why life *got here*, but I'm more interested in how life, or more specifically, how we developed as a civilized people, and whether or not we were "helped along."

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
It is possible,

BUT

How does an asteroid containing life from one solar system in one galaxy travel to other galaxies?

I think it is possible asteroids can travel out of a solar system, but I don't think it is very likely that asteroids from one planet with life could travel outside of its galaxy.

Yes galaxies do collide, but not all of them have.

Seems to be physically impossible, unless you are suggesting there was life before there were galaxies?

[edit on 13-1-2010 by tooo many pills]

[edit on 13-1-2010 by tooo many pills]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSlovak

Look how differnt humans are from the rest of earth life. Maybe we came here on an asteroid just like ALH 84001...

I'm not sure what you mean about humans being different. In genetic terms we are remarkably similar and it's not like humans are the only four limbed, two eyed creature on earth.

The second line, albeit obviously a casual closing thoughtbroker rather than a serious statement, does appear to contradict the first line. Either the building blocks for life arrived on a meteorite - in which case all life that came from that would be genetically similar (as it is) rather than different (which you state it is) - or you are proposing the theory that the modern human form arrived from another planet sat on a meteorite ?

As for ALH 84001 it may or may not provide an indication of microbial life from another planet, the jury is still out, but even if it was proven that is still a long way from showing that the microbial life could survive the initial planetary impact that caused the rock to escape the home planet, traverse the vacuum and survive entry into another planets atmosphere.

The theory that there are asteroids seeding planets through showering them with these building blocks likewise has the same issues.

Has DNA been deliberately altered throughout our supposed evolution - slightly different topic I know but that's not something I would discount.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I suppose anything's possible. I always try to keep an open mind. I somehow doubt we'll ever really find out the truth, but, I'd sure like to know.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I like the idea of panspermia. It's interesting to think about. Some people believe that the galaxy is teeming with 'snowball' and comets that carry life and seed moons and planets. Maybe? Time will tell. The point they overlook IMO, is that life had to begin somewhere...why not begin here?

Newer ATSers might enjoy this...Years ago in Kerala, India a red rainfell from the clear sky. Most explained it as desert sand in rain. It was probably lichen. Others believe it shows a new lifeform from outer space....Red rain could prove that aliens have landed.

I don't have much of an opinion, but I know some will be intrigued by it.

[edit on 14-1-2010 by Kandinsky]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by chunder

What I'm saying is humans can sometimes be like a cancer. They spread and multiply and alter the environment. If humans dissapeared nature would reclaim everything we've built and it would look like we were never here in the first place. Like we don't belong.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

Its just a matter of time. If the life or the seeds of life is capable of living indefinitely, in suspended hibernation like certain microbes here are capable of doing, then it would only be a matter of time.

The asteroid would just have to find its way out of the galaxy and into another. I'm sure in 100 billion years there will be one asteroid that makes it out of one galaxy and enters another and collides with a planet. Who's to say it hasn't already happened? And who's to say it didn't have life on it (or at least the seeds of life)?

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
No. This is one of the biggest lies that will ever be used against us. 'Aliens' or 'extraterrestrials' are fallen angels.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by shasta9600
No. This is one of the biggest lies that will ever be used against us. 'Aliens' or 'extraterrestrials' are fallen angels.

Please explain.

Are you referring to the belief of some religious people that visitations, abductions and such along with all evil in the world is all resultant from demons?

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zedd31415

Originally posted by shasta9600

Please explain.

Are you referring to the belief of some religious people that visitations, abductions and such along with all evil in the world is all resultant from demons?

Yes, that is what they are.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
You should keep in mind that evolution did happen and that means that at the very least we evolved for a certain part by natural courses of the planet. We can also assume that our 'mother' were aminoacids. It is unlikely that any race can make the complex geo-genetic calculations to know just how to make us evolve over billions of years including natural disasters like a meteorite. But as my signature shows it is possible. It is possible because of the way virusses work with RNA injection that replaced existing DNA with new DNA. Currently humanity is only learning how to do this. But more advanced races can use genetic manipulation far more easily. It has little effort and high yield results. Any race being alter to be in an evolutionairy way superior then the oriinal will eventually eliminate the need for the original. In the case of the human race, a tribe in the tip of Southern Africa was chosen to be altered minutely in the brain department to give it a mental edge against the existing humanoids like Homo Erectus and the Neanthertaler in the past. Eventually that manipulated race became the new dominant race in such a scenario.

The beauty of it all is that the human DNA is riddled by the spores of Retrovirusses there are litterly thousands and thousands of retrovirus 'scars' in our DNA. All you really have to do is look at ours and at our predecessors DNA and stripe away simular retro-virus scars then investigate the ones that we have and our predecessor ha'n't and what impact they have on our race as a whole. The human race is close to being able to do that but its no sigar yet.

[edit on 14-1-2010 by AncientShade]

[edit on 14-1-2010 by AncientShade]

top topics

join