It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday clock to be moved by world's top scientists tomorrow

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
My intuition says a move backwards on the clock. Just to give folks a false sense of security.

Isn't there some Illuminati ritual of doing things in reverse?

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Whatever. It was 2 minutes to midnight when the US announced the development of the hydrogen bomb, or something along those lines.

Double checked.

1953: After much debate, the United States decides to pursue the hydrogen bomb, a weapon far more powerful than any atomic bomb. In October 1952, the United States tests its first thermonuclear device, obliterating a Pacific Ocean islet in the process; nine months later, the Soviets test an H-bomb of their own. "The hands of the Clock of Doom have moved again," the Bulletin announces. "Only a few more swings of the pendulum, and, from Moscow to Chicago, atomic explosions will strike midnight for Western civilization."

Doomsday Clock Timeline

So, 56 years ago, testing a hydrogen bomb moved the "Doomsday Clock" ticks even closer to midnight and despite these weapons being around for that long, the "Doomsday Clock" has gone back and forth, back and forth, waiting for the next event to sensationalize.

Nuclear war wouldn't lead to the extinction of mankind or the destruction of the planet. It would mean starting over from scratch and a good hunk of the people in this world of ours couldn't comprehend that. Most people can't fathom a world without electricity, television, running to the grocery store because they're getting short on food, turning a thermostat when it gets chilly, not being able to turn a tap and have a drink of water, take a bath or shower. They wouldn't know how to grow their own food, slaughter livestock or wildlife for food or build a shelter.

My mother is 83 and my wife's mother is 84. They both came from depression era farm families and can both remember working the farm, slaughtering chickens or pigs for food and to sell. My wife could never do something like that because she loves animals and is a nurturer. I love animals as well but when it comes down to it and you're talking about a matter of survival or sustenance, only the strong survive.

Most people in this modern era of ours could not function without the current "perks" of civilization as compared to people from less than 100 years ago. For thousands of years, humans have developed. They've used the earth and it's resources during that time but only in the last 100 years have we gotten to the point where humans are largely more dependent on everyone but themselves for their existence.

The "Doomsday Clock" doesn't represent the possibility of the end of human existence and it's not even about the threat of nuclear fallout or nuclear winter. It represents the threat of going back to the basics and most of the people of the developed world (The ones that have actually heard of the Doomsday Clock) aren't equipped for that. Set it towards midnight and they say "Oh no", set it back and they say "Phew, good news. Maybe I'll run down to Mickey D's for dinner tonight." It's propaganda, just like missile siren tests, security level alerts or DefCon levels.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I for one am a little dissapointed as I can't wait for the doomsday clock to hit midnight. Not that I want people to die, but rather I would like to see something change in the way we currently live.

I don't see why we can't have the simplicity of "the olden days" mixed with the wonders and conveniences of our current technology.

Oh wait, I know why, because the people who are in charge and have it all don't want the earths resources to be equally distributed, don't want everyone to have the same quality of life, and dont want to do anything that involves the betterment of mankind if it doesn't line their pockets with gold.

And please dont tell me to do something about it if I dont like it. I think its going to take a cataclysmic event to get us all out of our daze and geared up to finally say ENOUGH and fight back!

new topics

<< 1   >>

join