It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surprising Sea Slug Is Half-plant, Half-animal

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Good stuff, very intriguing.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by metalholic

it could, but we would have to be green... not in the new age hippie sense but in the literal color sense. unless we go for the orange of autumn trees.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

You do realize this allows humans to have photosynthetic skin, hmm? Slugs are a lit easier to splice than plants.

Can anyone say no more world hunger?

[edit on 13-1-2010 by Gorman91]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I love how strange and surprising our world can be at times, this truely is a very unique and interesting step in evolution. I think it brings up so many more questions than it anwsers though
Either way thanks for showing us this

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
if we can map the genome of this species and adapt it into our own we can "borrow" other genetic traits from other species as well, like camoflage, wall walking, underwater breathing, or perhaps even having the ability to jump as high as a cricket!.

the height a cricket can jump would be likened to a human being able to jump onto the roof of a 9 story building from the ground.

biologic improvements of that nature would far excel us beyond any current or concieved mechanical ones.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

" That's incredible! Is it possible that we could breed these creatures to absorb carbon dioxide in, or to help re-oxygenate, the oceans?
"

the trees already are doing that its just we are destorying large amounts of forests that take in carbon that work with sunlight, i could probably be right that by cutting all the trees on this planet we could be making a real global warming issue.

another interesting thing to keep on mind is
the Japanese have been eating fish and tuna etc for as long their history started on this earth. i am pretty sure in another lets say 5,00 years they will end up to grow in some type of fishy human, the DNA from the fish will effect the human growth at some time during developments and human DNA will be changed thus upgrades adaptive evaluation !

power to the slug ! this is a very great find for space developments, I'm sure in the future long space exploration will be helped by this discovery in helping human beings EAT sunlight ! can you imagine that ! a small nuke can go on for 50 years if we can take in artificial sunlight it means we could go very deep in space and come back out the same

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
it's a chia-pet!

Thanks for sharing this Op, very cool!

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11
So they've fully integrated one plant gene into their DNA, but not the other. Obviously this destroys the idea that genetic mutation is random.

Can you explain how it does that, please?

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
This means that GMO (Genetically Modified Organisms) foods are more dangerous than we are told they are. All genes can be incorporated into our genome and our children will have mutations never seen before seemingly out of blue air.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Thread from 7/4-2009

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Still, it's very peculiar

[edit on 14-1-2010 by scratchmane]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax

So they've fully integrated one plant gene into their DNA, but not the other. Obviously this destroys the idea that genetic mutation is random.

Can you explain how it does that, please?

If you want the technical (chemical) details, look up Dr. Bruce Lipton's work.

But the basic mechanism is the environment itself. Every cell in your body has a copy of your DNA. In every cell your DNA is also sheathed in proteins that control how other proteins access your DNA, effectively activating and de-activating genes (thus you can have a "cancer gene," everyone supposedly does, but not cancer itself). What determines the genes that are activated is the environment, and this is how organisms are able to evolve in direct relation to their environment. Different regulatory proteins are susceptible to different chemicals and direct EM signals, which are what trigger genes being turned "on" or "off," or whether they are actively producing proteins, or not.

There are "modifier" genes as well. You can look up how those work and what they are capable of doing.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   
all we need to do now is genetically engineer humans to do the same and we no longer need to eat as much food !

Solving hunger across the planet !

Reading your above post about everyone having a cancer gene ! that is absolute bull .

Why would a biological system evolve and keep a gene which can kill itself , that sounds really stupid !

[edit on 14-1-2010 by sapien82]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   

What determines the genes that are activated is the environment, and this is how organisms are able to evolve in direct relation to their environment. Different regulatory proteins are susceptible to different chemicals and direct EM signals, which are what trigger genes being turned "on" or "off," or whether they are actively producing proteins, or not.

And are these environmental effects not random?

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
So, apparently, we need a new Kingdom, now(?): Planimal

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Nice find!, once again a new species is found!!

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Just a matter of time before some con-artist makes a philosophy mimicing the slug that ends up killing its followers.

See- Breatharianism.

Seriously though, I find this to be pretty amazing. Truly one of natures miracles.

[edit on 14-1-2010 by Hawk89]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I still think that having a cancer gene is complete rubbish , so by that hypothesis we have a gene in our body for every disease on earth ?!??!?!
makes no sense it would defeat the purpose of having an immune system , because if we have the gene to develop cancer then surely by immune response our bodies would already have the necessary reponse to defeat cancer cells

I think its possible for us to have genes which may be effected by cancer in early stages which then may trigger a response to which results in us developing cancer !

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
So a few things strike me...

1. Is this indicative of the Algae they have eaten? i.e. can say we eat this same algae and adapt the same?

2. Perhaps this is a good reason for humans to eat more live plants? This thing is definitely what it eats.

3. Is there something in the slugs genetic code that allows it to steal these other genes? or is this a ubiquitous thing. If it is the slug, can we steal THOSE genes?

4. I recall hearing some new-age folks talking about learning how to live off of sunlight... at the time I thought the entire idea was malarkey, but even though they may have been off their rocker... maybe they were on to something instead of on somethin

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkspARCS
if we can map the genome of this species and adapt it into our own we can "borrow" other genetic traits from other species as well, like camoflage, wall walking, underwater breathing, or perhaps even having the ability to jump as high as a cricket!.

You can't do that, we surely would end up disfigured and it would also warp our immune system as well.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkspARCS

You can't do that, we surely would end up disfigured and it would also warp our immune system as well.

[edit on 14-1-2010 by ModernAcademia]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join