It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surprising Sea Slug Is Half-plant, Half-animal

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Does anybody remember the BBC series "The Future is Wild"? I remember seeing something similar in there.

I'm not sure if the documentary predicted that evolution could come up with something like this photosynthesis slug, or they already knew about it (the series is from 2003). Did they just recently discovered this slug?

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

yeah i want my genetic structure experimented with so i dont have to eat no more! think about it this could be a cure for disease if you survived off of sunlight the only worry would be skin cancer eating greasey foods wouldnt clog up you arteries anymore or give u ecoli or flu's or mad cow disease! the only meat you would eat would be P***y

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
yet another proof of how life can adapt and survive, I have no doubt there is plenty of life in our universe, shame that during our brief lifetime we wont get a glimpse of it

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I WANT CHLOROPHYLL!!!! LOL

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Maybe aliens are geneticly engineering animals to teach us lessons.... or to demonstrate things they cannot put into a language we would understand......

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

right maybe its them ufos people report seeing underwater engineering things like that...of all the explorations why was it just recently discovered?

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
ah interesting,

is anyone aware of a species of jelly fish that uses the same ability? i know i saw it on discovery channel once, it was very similiar to this sea slug story

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I'm trying to remember from my college micro-biology days - wasn't the very first life form a type of bacteria (animal) that utilized photosynthesis (plant)? I'm thinking cyanobacteria (probably spelled wrong). I might be way off - any biologists out there?

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
if thought this was possible since atleast i was 9

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
So they have to eat a certain amount of algae before they can photosynthesize, right? This makes me wonder what else they could ingest and later recieve nourishment directly from another source. Maybe the truly remarkable thing about these creatures is not the utilizing of chlorophyl, but their ability to copy other life-forms'. What else could they live off of?

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Tippys Dad

cyanobacteria are single celled. this article said first non-single celled

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by guidanceofthe third kind

i was always fascinated with this sort of thing ever since i wastched godzilla vs biollante where a scientist took godzilla cells found from godzilla 1984 the film previous and crossed it with plant cells that eventually became biollante i know this is way out there and off topic in a way but the movie certainly sparked my interest in half animal half plant science!

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by For Truth

rocks, deep sea worms, ghost crabs... i'm just making stuff up now...

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by metalholic

i kinda wanted to test it on myself, but as a finance major and a lover of live, injecting chlorophyll directly into my on cells would end in expiration

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

good humor!

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by metalholic

deep sea worms and ghost crabs are actual animals... i doubt it would live by eating rocks though

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   

yeah i know i was talking about the post about applying the science to yourself nah what we need to do is take some of them slugs and figure what would be the best subject to test dna recoding with maybe a frog or some amphibian would be the best in my mind as its genetic make up would most liekly more accepting of the study and see if we can alter something else maybe not to this exctreme but enough to make some noise in the scientific world!

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
this could fix world hunger and the obese problem if humans could acquire this genetic code for human use!

[edit on 13-1-2010 by metalholic]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Am I the only one who thinks this may be a product mans interactions with the environment like GM foods containing agrobacterium? This does cause gene transfers cross species, cross kingdom, & cross super kingdom. Something tells me we'll be finding many more wild discoveries in the not so distant future.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Chlorophyll? More like borophyll!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join