It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I really don't understand.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

I can answer that too, some lines you don't draw yourself.

Some lines are drawn for you, if you still step over it you are as blind as a bat.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

If you were to cut up your body and throw the meat into the soup at the kitchen, that would benefit them too. And while you're at it, I'm sure some of them could probably use some good sex. So why not whore yourself out to all of them first before you cut yourself up and jump into the soup? At what point do you draw the line?

At what point does one avoid the subject by flying of the ledge?

Common sense. You can't buy it... all the money in the world will not offer a single ounce.

I am really surprised that anyone would offer this tripe up as a reply.

Seriously.... cut up ones body and the whoring?

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by capgirl

here in Iraq, the only charitable things we do is give out shoes and candy to the kids. Eventhough it is not enough for what destruction we have brought to this country at least we try to change things for the better. I want to help people too but I am only one man and just one man cannot make a difference unless there is 2, then 4 and then some more. You are not alone in seeing how people waste their money on meager things, they were just raised that way through TV and other crap. $&F for honesty and trying to help people out, like me.

Edit: Nice avatar.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by Stop-loss!]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by capgirl

You are a commendable person. Keep on doing what you do. Let other people spend on whatever they want. It's good for the poor and the hungry of China.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
You are doing what is right. Most people these days are delusional in the sense that they feel as if they have control over their lives. People are often egotistical and don't think twice about how others might feel due to their actions. The world needs more people like you, who are kind and willing to help. It may seem like the world rejects you for who you are, but think about the many others whom you have helped through volunteering. I'm sure that they appreciate having you in their lives.

I honestly feel the same way that you do. I'm going to graduate in May from university and I still don't know where my life is going to lead. What is the meaning of life? Why am I among so many people who only care about themselves? The world is indeed a dark and lonesome place, however with you and others like you it can provide a dim light for the weary to find hope.

You are living a life that is filled with meaning to those around you. Believe in yourself and do what you know is right!

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

...except that we're not talking about abuse and victimization at all. We're talking about confusing serving others with self denial.

And by what authority am I accepting your word at this? Seems to me this is about right and wrong. Do you own any rights to that?

If I have a $20,000 watch and filet mignon that does not detract from the person next door who is starving. It's a very different situation if a kick in their door and take their things from them and insist that it's their fault for having been born peasants.

If you have 20k to spend on a watch, then perhaps you have no idea of value and worth anyway

Guilt is a tool of manipulation. Being told that you should feel guilty for having nice things when others don't is simply a means people use to trick you into giving up the things you have willingly rather than taking them from you themselves.

No one is asking you to feel guilty. Abuse and excess is not about survival or living comfortably. That much is obvious even to those who practice greed as an avocation.

(BTW - If you need absolution, then you seek forgiveness of God, not man.)

There is a line between living and then, imposing your life of choice upon others. Where that line is depends greatly on where you are.

If you can live without feeling your existence lessens that of others, then so be it. But most who do cross that line... like the royalties of old, live in a state of denial for the sake of that life. it is a convenient avenue that works well for self but... not really a lick for anyone else.

What the heck... who knows? Maybe you can pawn that $20,000 watch for ticket to the hereafter someday.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

If you have 20k to spend on a watch, then perhaps
you have no idea of value and worth anyway

What's the difference between saying owning a $20,000 watch implies no sense of value and worth and saying that wearing $80 designer jeans implies no sense of value and worth? What about the fact that you live with a roof over your head? Does that imply no sense of value and worth? After all, there are people in the world who don't have a roof over their head. Why do you live in a house or an apartment, when all the money you spend on those things could be sent to third world nations and you could live in a cardboard box instead?

Where do you draw the line?

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Well does anyone feel the same way I do? I am bad with words so I tried my best.

You can't control the behavior of others....all you can do is do what YOU feel is right, and hope others follow the example.

Personally, I can't ever imagine even having an income where I'd be happy spending the kind of money some people do (like gals' purses or shoes that cost thousands....really? I mean...car, or shoes?....how does one even justify that?).....

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

purses or shoes that cost thousands....really? I mean...car, or shoes?....how does one even justify that?).....

How do you justify paying thousands of dollars every month to live in a house or apartment when there are people across the world living without clean water or basic sanitation?

How do you justify going out to dinner and paying $40 for a meal for 2 when there are children probably within a hundred miles of you who are starving?

How can you justify anything?

My answer is simple: having what you want is a good thing and it does not detract from the happiness of others. There is nothing evil or wrong with enjoying what you have. Just because somebody else doesn't have what you do, doesn't mean you shouldn't.

What's your answer?

purses or shoes that cost thousands

You being amazed by someone who spends thousands of dollars on shoes is no different than a starving child in africa being amazed that you own a car. The $30,000 you could spend on a car might be enough to feed somebody's entire village for years. But you don't feel guilty for owning a car, you don't express shock and horror that anyone could be so heartless or have such a "horrible sense of value" to own a car.

I've asked several times in this thread, and I've yet to see any serious attempt to answer:

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Gonna try to make the original poster feel a little better...

Sunday morning, I left to get some breakfast for my wife and I (it was 11am, but it was a late night...Anniversary weekend, will leave it at that...).

Anyhoo, I see a man (in his 30's), his wife, and a son (about 9) on the side of the road with a sign (homeless/jobless, etc.). So, when I get into the Golden Arches, I pick up 3 McDoubles, 3 fries, and 3 waters in addition to what I was getting. On the way out, another homeless guy asks, "Hey brother, can you spare a burger?"... I didn't want to slight the family, so just gave him a couple bucks (which he then went in and ordered)...

So, I get back to the family, and give them a fiver, and the food. Their appreciation is certainly much more valuable than the $15 it cost to spread some good will. I've told the story now here....but I'm not likely to bring it up to any of my friends, etc...as I'm content just to do good things, no need to really talk about it...

And, that gets to my point... Just because you don't HEAR about good things your friends and neighbors do, doesn't mean they don't occur...so hope you feel better...

At the delineation of where common sense meets practicality. I'll agree that people in different income levels often live in just a different reality...and that perception can be insane for one in a lower level...but I guess for me, there are just certain price barriers for things that I wouldn't cross, no matter how much I was making....

And, some of the folks spending thousands on shoes or purses are also giving millions to charity, so I kind of have to just agree to disagree with their other spending habits.

[edit on 1-2-2010 by Gazrok]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join