It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ontario denies compensation to wrongfully-convicted men

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Ontario denies compensation to wrongfully-convicted men

www.theglobeandmail.com

Two Ontario men who spent years behind bars after they were wrongly convicted of violent crimes will not receive financial compensation from the provincial government.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1/13/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Well there you have it. If you think that there is ANY recourse in the even they throw you in jail, wrongfully convict you, essentially steal 18 years of your life, then release you you are mistaken, if you live in Ontario.

When you look at the larger picture of this particular situation, it amounts to that YOUR life is worth nothing. This is exactly the government deciding that you, me or anyone they see fit can be imprisoned for whatever duration and if it is found out that you were actually innocent, well...too bad. Add this to the number of times we have witnessed a policeman lying to get an arrest or conviction and it sends chills down my spine.

Yes, this is in Canada, but if it can happen here, it can happen near you.

Thanks for reading
..Ex

www.theglobeandmail.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1/13/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I live in Ontario. Besides all the corrupt judges that are child molesters, its a decent place.

Personally, everyday Canada is more and more looking like the UK. Our prime minister just recently suspended parliment, which alot of people are protesting against.

Damn bilderbergers.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
From what I can understand after reading the Star and Globe and Mail articles, these two denials are isolated cases and not a change in Wrongful Conviction cases where compensation's been requested.
Decoy

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Decoy
From what I can understand after reading the Star and Globe and Mail articles, these two denials are isolated cases and not a change in Wrongful Conviction cases where compensation's been requested.
Decoy

I think the real point here, is that the court system or the government is able to convict and imprison you even though you had not committed the crime. Then when it comes to light that you did not commit the crime, they can deny you compensation under the excuse that it was not a malicious prosecution.

It seems to me that the only difference between that happening to anyone else is a matter of circumstance and opportunity. The real scary part is that even when they're (justice system) wrong, the deprivation of your freedom and life is worth nothing.

ps.. Compensation had been requested in the above case and denied....

..Ex

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by v3_exceed

Originally posted by Decoy
Decoy

I don't thing the Baltovich thing is over...that was likely Bernardo that killed Bain, and if Robert keeps fighting he'll get compensation...IMHO.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by gandhi
Our prime minister just recently suspended parliment, which alot of people are protesting against.

Yeah they're protesting - writing letters too.

But what did they think would have happened if it wasn't suspended - parliament would have given us more freedoms, lowered taxes?

Haha, I don't think so.

The government which governs best governs least.

*I see it like this; they can't raise taxes or restrict freedoms if they are prorogued, - and they certainly weren't going to lower taxes or increase freedoms if they weren't...

Go Harper! Govern least, Govern Best!

[edit on 14-1-2010 by Exuberant1]

top topics

join