It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Labrador bolts from U.S. office before earthquake tremors strike building w/Video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Here is a video of a dog sensing an earthquake moments before the ground starts shaking! I could only speculate on how the dog knew it was coming, but it is interesting that the pup had a headstart!

From this article: Eviden ce of dogs' sixth-sense: Labrador bolts from U.S. office before earthquake tremors strike building

CCTV footage has emerged of a news station office in North Carolina seconds before an eathquake struck on January 9.

It shows a dog idly passing the time on the floor before, apparently without any duress, springing up and making a swift exit.

Seconds later seats swing out of position, draws slip open and fixtures and fittings begin to wobble. Then, the shuddering really starts.

Here is the video

This is not the Haiti earthquake, but I felt like it would go along with the theme. It sure would have been great if there was some kind of advanced warning, even if just a minute it probably would have saved a tremendous amount of lives.

-E-

Edit: Here is the youtube link it the vid is not embedded
My dog Sophie sensed the 6.5 earthquake early at the Times-Standard newspaper in Eureka CA longer

[edit on 13-1-2010 by MysterE]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Yes animals are pretty amazing creatures and we could definitely learn alot from them also as far as I know there is an increasing number of research done on animals and earthquakes aswell.

For example I saw a documentary about this where snakes was being used for research after the huge Chinese earthquake not long ago in fact it turns out that most animals in fact reacted differently before that particular one.

So the scientific community could definitely pay a little bit more attention to the animals around us as they seem to be able to sense things better than us particularly earthquakes.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
S & F Thanks for posting this !! I have heard tons of stories over the years, but I had yet to see it caught on video. WOW !!!!!!!!!!!! Way cool !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think we could learn so many amazing things from animals, especially dogs. Too bad most of society treats them so cruelly. Ok, I have to go cuz I feel a cruelty to animals rant coming on.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Why does this say North Carolina when it is clearly from Eureka, CA?

I'm confused.

And comic book guy reacts nearly as quickly, you can see his chair jerk just as the dog gets up.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by Deny Arrogance]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
That is truly amazing. Its funny how animals can and do sense these things befor they happen, yet we, for the most part, pay them no attention. We just wright them off as dumb animals. When it is us who are the dumb animals most of the time.

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Then dogs could be trained to warn people of earthquakes, perhaps.

And then we would have teams of "earthquake dogs"

They would be the forerunners of cyclone, tornado, and tsunami dogs

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I think if you were relying on that dog to give you warning of the coming earth quake you would be disappointed with the whole 5 seconds you'd of gotten.

I don't disagree that animals can sense a great many things that we cannot, in fact I agree completely.

However, in this particular case I think the dog heard the quake coming not sensed it.

In the case of the snakes that someone above mentioned I think that may be a different story as they are more attuned to the differences between every day vibrations and earth quake vibrations. But how does one train a snake to warn you of impending disaster?

Regardless of my above comments that was an interesting video!

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Great thread! it does not suprise me though, Animals are so much more intune to what's going on around us then we seem to be.

I had to have a giggle at the look on that first guys face though, pretty sure he shat his dacks right there!

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I wonder if its the dogs sense of hearing that clued him in. He probobly heard it winding up and from past experiances knew what was coming.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
The dog felt the P wave that comes before the powerful S wave.

The P wave is very mild compared to the S wave.
www.sciencecourseware.com...
www.allshookup.org...

There is no mystery here.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
The dog felt the P wave that comes before the powerful S wave.

The P wave is very mild compared to the S wave.
www.sciencecourseware.com...
www.allshookup.org...

There is no mystery here.

I agree with you on this or even that he heard it, just before he runs off you can see him looking at the floor.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Awesome Video.
If you watch the top tight hand corner of the screen you see the light move the exact second the dog gets up.
and 1 sec later 17:21:41 the draw on the left hand side filing cabinet closes to the camera opens just before the ground starts to shake.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Before the tsunami hit in Thailand, the wildlife went nuts. Apparently the birds disappeared, and other strange things.

en.wikipedia.org...

Onge tribespeople explained that the sea and land always fought over boundaries.[citation needed] First the spirits became angry and shook the trees and then when they saw changes in the sea and clouds they knew “the sea would enter the jungle and mix with the land until they decided on a new boundary”.[citation needed] The aboriginal tribes evacuated and suffered few or no losses.[citation needed]

We are so far from being at one with nature, we are oblivious to all the natural clues that exist.
Who said modern living was a good thing?

[edit on 14-1-2010 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
As an Epileptic, I have looked at dogs that senses oncoming seizures...

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TrainDispatcher

Sorry didnt look at your vid, but it did catch my attention as here in Aus, they did a specail on one of our Current affairs programms where they interviewed a mother who has a daughter with Epelepsy, and they had a dog, that when they first got it they noticed that whenever the little girl went into seizure mode, some moments before the dog would get distressed and now, the dog is the girls epelepsy reader. Animals can see more than we can comprehend for sure, but as I said in the case of this video you can see the dog look at the floor just seconds before the quake starts, so he either heard it or felt it.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TrainDispatcher

Sorry didnt look at your vid, but it did catch my attention as here in Aus, they did a specail on one of our Current affairs programms where they interviewed a mother who has a daughter with Epelepsy, and they had a dog, that when they first got it they noticed that whenever the little girl went into seizure mode, some moments before the dog would get distressed and now, the dog is the girls epelepsy reader. Animals can see more than we can comprehend for sure, but as I said in the case of this video you can see the dog look at the floor just seconds before the quake starts, so he either heard it or felt it.

new topics

top topics

join