It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carreer choices for the "conspiriacy theorists"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
First of all i would just like to introduce myself, i live in manitoba canada. I have been interested in lets call them these "alternative" topics for about 3 years now. I am currently in my last year of high school and of course am confronted with countless paths to take and am quite confused as many are. Especially with my new out of the norm view on life and existance in general, i am finding it quite hard to find what i would call a suitable career. I am feeling a lot of pressure from people around me to go to university get a normal job and make good money so i can have a "nice life" blah blah. Whenever i hear that i honestly just want to cringe. First of all i dont feel or i no longer feel the need to get a "good job that will pay well" because my view of an overall "nice life" comes nothing close to most peoples avarage definiton or even my own a few years ago. I don't believe i would be much happier if i had more nice material things like nice cars, big tv's, and whicked dirt bikes. I can now see totally right through and past this shallow consumerism and sex driven lifestyle that is pushed on us from birth, and it seems a little too sheepish to me for lack of a better word and just downright doesnt turn my crank anymore.
The major thing in this society is that we all need $$$CASHHH$$$ just to survive basically. Even if we don't seek the consumerism driven lifestyle. Some basic modern conveniences are still nice!!!

So i have a basic ideas and overall i think my ultimate goal is to get off the grid and away from the lifestyle i hate so much. If it means getting away from western society totally i am willing to do that. I would love to go somewhere beautiful and live in nature with no worries. and that is actually not too far of a reach, just a one-way plane ticket and a sense of adventure. ive known people who have done it and have thought about it a lot myself.
But if i stay here in canada im going to have to get a decent job or have some sort of income. and this is where i stand.

I would love to have a perfect career that i like to do and is something i enjoy, but it is hard without university and just hard in general for most people. I would love to ultimately have a career that has to do or can make use of my out of the norm/ esoteric knowledge and point of view. It sounds almost like it is out of reach to me, but i dont think i can cope with a 9-5 typical robt job.

So essentially i dont really know where to start. and my parents are starting to push me into making the big choices. So far i think im going to set up a meeting with a HADO instructor in my city. it has to do with Dr Emotos work if you are familiar, but thats all i got at the momnent, and im not sure what kind of income it generates if any at all.

I am sure many other people that have found this genre of information feel the same as i do especially others my age. So i would like to just have this thread as a discussion into "alternative types of carreers" or ways of saving and making money. Also any advice and experiences with "living off the grid."

I personally am looking into building some of my own solar pannels which is quite affordable and also into growing some of my own food down the road.
Definately going to buy a gun, and probably start hunting.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
The one job that pops out to me would be to work for SETI. I doubt it pays much, and surely it would require additional schooling, but it may fit your description.

Just remember, you cannot let "alternative" things take over your life. When my eyes were first opened, it engulfed my life for a while. I'm not saying to go on being a sheep, but make sure you stay firmly in touch with reality while denying ignorance.

Sounds like you are way ahead of many people whose eyes remain shut, so stay on track to whatever makes your life better! See you around.

-E-

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Try becoming a land surveyor. You spend most of your time out in nature going places that noone has went for 60 years. I find it very evjoyable to be getting paid to ride an ATV in the woods 10 miles from the nearest house. Its very peaceful and your getting paid to boot! Plus after a while you will stary gaining inside knowledge about your community. I.E. Whats going to be happening 5 years from now. Pretty cool IMHO.

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterE

"Just remember, you cannot let "alternative" things take over your life. When my eyes were first opened, it engulfed my life for a while. I'm not saying to go on being a sheep, but make sure you stay firmly in touch with reality while denying ignorance."

That is a very good point. I too felt very overwhelmed at the start. After a while it got better, i discovered a teacher at school who is like minded, also found ATS! most importantly are the majority of my family friends who unlike me, havnt had their eyes opened but that can be a good thing because they help keep me grounded to reality, and i respect their beliefs.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I think most people are overwhelmed when they first start looking deeper into things. Theres a lot of speculation and rarely hard evidence to be had when your on the outside looking in, so to speak.

I too wanted to get away from it all and for the most part have scaled back considerably on my consumption and managed to rid my addiction to T.V and video games and movies.

However the whole career thing I feel. I left college before graduating and dont regret it because it wasn't for a career I desired any longer. For your particular circumstances, it may be a good idea to look steward-of-the-land type living. An old high school teacher of mine had a friend come in to speak about how he is off hydro, built his own house and lives an extremely low consumption lifestyle and allowed his property to go wild again bringing wild life back to the area. Its difficult to do and I imagine requires a fair chunk of that oh so awful money but there are books and forums devoted to that lifestyle and may give you an idea of how to go about living life the way you so desire.

Escaping society altogether is almost an impossibility nowadays. Most countries don't allow actual land ownership, much less the resources in the ground beneath it so getting off the grid just as far as energy purposes are concerned may be tough.

I went through a huge change but in the end I am heading back to university for english and history and hopefully to be a teacher. Its part of the system and involves a lot of hoop jumping but it was the result of an internal compromise of my ideals and the reality I live in. My advice would be just follow your heart and your mind and never give up on them and you may just find what you're seeking.

Good luck!

Cheers

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

The one job that pops out to me would be to work for SETI. I doubt it pays much, and surely it would require additional schooling, but it may fit your description.

Nah, SETI uses science, not conspiracies, unless you mean a low level technician or cleaner.
SETI researchers would be fairly well paid.

The only job for a full-time conspiracist would be to write blogs and books and hope to sell enough. It would require a creative imagination so that fits many here.

As a hobby - conspiracies can fit in anywhere - as a fictional writer, singer or a even a past-time for an Astronomer or scientist. But to be a good scientist you'd have to be able to distinguish between scientific evidence and other forms of evidence such as anecdotal. This could lead to a confliction because critical thinking is incompatible with all but a few remaining conspiracies.

Searching for ET properly is science but believing that the first unknown radio signal can only be ET is typical of a conspiracist.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by john124]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Welcome, always room for another Canuck.
The entire life you seek may be a little unrealistic. I had similar ambitions when I was finishing school. You may have to make some sacrifices and some compromises along the way.
I wouldn't lump university education into the sex driven media materialistic paradigm you were describing. Take some time off, travel get some worldly experience, but always keep open to university. You could study anthropology, philosophy, political studies, English, history, sociology. Many of these fields of studies have esoteric branches that would fit nicely with the critical eye you are developing. With some education complimenting your view points you could pursue writing as a career. Writers can write where ever they chose.

I was blown away by my critical theory class in university, introduced me to media influence, the McDonaldization of society and the powers that be at a very early age. I was a very happy unhappy camper. Then the sociology of knowledge and the philosophy of technology woke me up as well.

As far as resources off the grid have you seen the documentary Garbage Warrior? Very cool about an architect who builds Earth Ships. Sustainable houses from garbage and perfectly balances them with climate conditions, sun and wind etc.

www.youtube.com...

Good luck

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

I went into wildlife biology for the same reason. Very rewarding, peaceful work environment, etc. It sucks when it's cold & windy...but better than a cubicle any day of the week.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by sparrowstail

Yea i am definately going to travel a bit, my option of leaving the continent is still up in the air but it is probably a lot harder then it seems.

Thanks for the comment about university, i had pretty much ruled it out, not so because it fits into that very western paradigm i talked about. But more because my view on it is that it is structured in a way from higher levels to push us into quite a left brain mode of thinking.

But i am sure there are some dam good and open minded psychology, philosophy courses out there for sure. Guess it all depends on the prof.
I am still keeping it an option to take some courses like that, but i want it to be fairly useful and not a waste of money just for the learning experience. not sure if there are too many decent carreers anymore in Philosophy il have to look into that.

i guess i swore off university a little too quickly. since its almost a necessity in todays society to get anywhere. I would just have to find things im interested in. Didnt take physics or chemistry tho just bio, and not pre cal so it narrows my options a bit.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by thebulldog

I definately enjoy the thought of that "stewart of the land" type of lyfestyle, sounds quite appealing. Very similar to what i ultimately would love to do. But it is also a great idea that he is also trying to bring back the wilderness. Even if it is just in his own yard

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I also play in a band but i just cant see that as being any pheasable source of income for a few years at least. Especially where i live. My lead guitarist plays some local shows in another band and makes like 7 bucks on average
they are short sets tho just a few songs.

But it is a nice skill to have i guess, anyone know of any countries that pay well for cheap guitar entertainment? i know if i moved just to mexico or the carribean i could make a living playing in hotels, those guys get a lot of tips from us drunk canadians

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Consciousness

Whoa just be careful where you point that pistol son!!
How about learnin a trade , they always come in useful !! Or become a pro lottery player and hopefully win a LOTTO LOTTO money!!!

Shalom

join