It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democracy is according to Boortz!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I really like some of Neals thoughts and ideas. His definitions here are pretty accurate as of lately, before the bashing starts, I'm not a Republican, but rather an independent.

Democracy .. detested by our founding fathers, loved by today's despots.

Democracy .. a concept completely misunderstood by the American people.

Democracy is three wolves and one sheep deciding what to eat for dinner.

Democracy is a form of government which panders to the crude and mindless whims of the masses.

Democracy is mob rule that recognizes no individual rights.

Democracy .. where the rule of the masses destroys the rights of the individuals.

There. Those didn't take 140 characters. It also didn't take a lot of creativity on my part ... only a little bit of research into what our own founding fathers thought of the idea of democracy. You see, a lot of you were probably educated in government schools. That's ok. You really don't understand my aversion to Democracy. Well, that's by design. But your government schools did you a grand disservice (man is THAT an understatement!). Your government school teachers lied to you. Our country is not a democracy. Shocking, I know. But did you know that the word "democracy" fails to appear in the Declaration of Independence, the U.S. Constitution or the constitutions of any of our 50 states?

Look at it this way. Let's say that you're charged with a horrible crime. Well say you are charged with the rape and murder of a little girl. You're innocent .. but you also know that pretty much everybody in the community thinks you're guilty as hell .. and they're forming a lynch mob. At this point are you rooting for democracy or the rule of law? Do you want a system where the majority prevails? Or do you want a system with a structure of laws that will protect you while guilt is adjudicated?

The idea that our country is a democracy did not take hold until about the time of Woodrow Wilson. This is when politicians began to see the Constitution as a roadblock to enacting their dreams and schemes. So they started spreading this idea that we were a country ruled by men (instead of law) and therefore began to abuse and stretch the limitations of the Constitution.

So back to my quote. I said that it wasn't original. I got it from a book titled "Founding Brothers: The Revolutionary Generation" by historian Joseph Ellis. At the very beginning of the book he tells us what our founding fathers thought of the idea of democracy:

"... the term "democrat" originated as an epithet and referred to 'one who panders to the crude and mindless whims of the masses.'"

Source boortz.com...

[mod edit: added required external source tags]
Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I'm a Boortz fan, he's a good Libertarian. I try to listen to him every morning. He is a big proponant of the Fair Tax, which I think may work!

-E-

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
It's sad to me how people around the world, it seems, don't understand what a democracy really is. The United States is a republic plain and simple. The people don't make decisions, but rather a group of people who represent the people. This is what a republic is. Ma ny nations in the western world, from my understanding, are really republics as well.

Last year, when I moved here to Germany, I had to take a language/integration course. The very end of the course was about the German history, laws, government and so forth. In the class, our teacher tried to make it very clear that German is a democracy. When I pointed it out to her that that wasn't true and that, based on the way Germany's government is set up, Germany is really a republic. I tell you what, Boortz's lynch mob almost formed in that class room and I would've been the victim, simply for pointing out that in reality, here the government is a republic! The teacher even started to try to say that republics are bad things, and wanted to point out that China and the USSR were "republics", but she kinda stopped with the thought and moved on.

What is true though, is that nations like the United States are republics with democratic principles. In other words, a majority of the people choose who represents them. There is a huge difference between a republic and democracy though and I wish people would understand that.

This obsession with "democracy" needs to stop and what is truth needs to be taught!

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by octotom
This obsession with "democracy" needs to stop and what is truth needs to be taught!

Agreed.......how true, how true.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by MysterE
I'm a Boortz fan, he's a good Libertarian. I try to listen to him every morning. He is a big proponant of the Fair Tax, which I think may work!

-E-

I'm a Boortz fan too.

With that said, I want to vomit every time I hear him or others talk about the fair tax. It's rubbish, it's not needed (like income tax), it may be more fair than what we have today but isn't terribly Libertarian, etc.

I think we'd all agree about Democracy. When people speak of it, however, they are not talking about Democracy, but a more rigid subset of it without even knowing.

I'm tired of this "will of the people" garbage. The will of the people is most important during election days, and the participation there is pathetic, so I'd say let's get off the "will of the people" trash argument as a nation.

new topics

top topics

join