It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The USS Independence video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Can't wait to see a frigate or destroyer version, or even an aircraft carrier. This is the future of warship design.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Very cool man! Thanks for the video, I love battle toys.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
yeah i agree, that thing is badass

can you imagine an aircraft carrier, is that even possible?

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
lol more of americas tax money "in action" more madness...

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

I was just about to post the article when I saw your post. Awesome ship. I can't wait for High Speed Trials with this one. It has a max speed of 45 knots!!

The US Navy has announced that its second shallow-water littoral combat ship (LCS), the USS Independence, will be officially commissioned on 16 January 2010 in Mobile, Alabama.

USS Independence gold crew commanding officer commander Michael Riley said the ship was large enough and flexible enough to hold just about anything you could think of in terms of coastal and littoral warfare.

The navy's first LCS vessel USS Freedom is currently readying for her maiden deployment to US Southern Command.

After being commissioned, the USS Independence will undergo further testing and evaluation before heading toward its homeport in San Diego.

USS Independence is a 419ft aluminum trimaran, the first of its design in the surface fleet.

The 419ft-long LCS has a displacement of 2,800t and a maximum cruising speed in excess of 45kt. The ship has an operational range of 35,000nm and can be operated in water at depths less than 20ft.

USS Independence features an interchangeable modular design that allows the ship to be reconfigured to meet mission requirements, which include surface warfare, mine countermeasures, anti-submarine warfare or maritime security along with an aviation detachment.

The US Navy has set a goal of acquiring a total of 55 littoral combat ships specifically designed to defeat anti-access threats in shallow, coastal water regions, including fast surface craft, quiet diesel submarines and mines.

www.naval-technology.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
And after a few years of success with this ship and her class they would take it to frigate and destroyer version. This time with new weapons included laser defense or perhaps anti-satellite laser. Or anti-ballistic missile defense or anti-satellite missiles. Either one that works just fine.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Wow that thing is a fortress! Only ship I was ever on(when in the Marines), was a LHD, LHD-5 USS Bataan. It was about as old as dirt! This thing is awesome. BTW, anyone know what LCS stands for? Oh never mind I'll just google it.

Littoral Combat Ships (LCS) are relatively small surface vessels intended for operations in the littoral zone (close to shore).
Source

Google rocks.
So does wikipedia.

The first LCS is the Freedom More Info on the Freedom

join