It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After 3-Year Pause, Doomsday Clock to Tick Again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   

The minute hand of the famous Doomsday Clock is set to move this Thursday, and for the first time, anyone with Internet access can watch. Which way the hand will move and by how much have not been made public.

Which way will it go?

The event will take place at 10 a.m. EST on Jan. 14 at the New York Academy of Sciences Building in New York City. While the actual clock is housed at the Bulletin of Atomic Sciences offices in Chicago, Ill., a representation of the clock will be changed at Thursday's news conference. (You can watch the live Web feed at www.TurnBackTheClock.org.)

The last time the Doomsday Clock minute hand moved was in January 2007, when it was pushed forward by two minutes, from seven to five minutes before midnight. The change was meant to reflect two major sources of potential catastrophe that could bring us closer to "doomsday," according to the board of The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, a magazine focused on warning the world of the dangers that the invention of the atomic bomb helped to unleash.

link

2 questions;
1.which way will it go?
2.why cant we get a better clock?This thing looks like it was made by a sixth grade class with cardboard and sissors.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by genius/idoit]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Watch The Live Feed Here

My guess is 2 minutes to midnight.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I expect the clock will move to 4 minutes to midnight,due to the much talked about Iran scenario,and the continuing destabilisation in Pakistan.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I think it will only move one minute forward, at this point simply because they are conservative in their moves and Iran is entirely speculative at this point.

As the actual clock is house at UIC in Chicago, does anyone know if they accept visitors?

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
No more than 2 minuets, and it will be because of Global Warmi... Sorry I mean climate change, and food shortages in the developing world.. (both processes I feel are speeding up/getting worse)

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
It'll read 12:01... let's see, economy, the magnetic north taking a our thru Russia, wars, more wars, food shortages, oil shortages, everyone eating/ drinking/ smoking/ drugging themselves into stupidity and death.... riots, lies from your govts (all of 'em), the Vatican getting louder and louder as of late.. Iran, The US stockpiling weapons and supplies in Israel... Shall I go on?

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by genius/idoit

2 questions;
1.which way will it go?
2.why cant we get a better clock?This thing looks like it was made by a sixth grade class with cardboard and sissors.

Better question... who cares? If there's a better example of utterly meaningless symbolism and needless pomp and circumstance than the doomsday clock, I have yet to see it. "Ye know not the day nor the hour."

It should be redubbed "The Bulletin of Atomic Scientist's Periodic Way of Saying 'Look At Us, Here We Are!'" Attention whoring and artificial self-declaration of relevance in it's purest form... nothing more, nothing less.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
We're all guessing and I'll throw in my guess for the heck of it...6 minutes to midnight. It's going back a minute

I'm surprised that the guys have decided to move it at all. The only way the world seems any safer at all IMO is the lack of nuclear activity that generated the '5 minutes to midnight' setting.

The scientists that make the choice are 'atomic scientist.' This means that the Doomsday Clock has been dictated by nuclear activity on the world stage. North Korea, USA, Israel, Iran, Pakistan, India etc.

Since 2007 the known risk of a nuclear catastrophe or detonation has certainly receded IMO.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
It could even be i minute to midnight.
I think our days are numbered.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

You win, sir!

Of course the clock is nothing but a human attempt to represent a super-human reality. tsk-tsk...

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Well I’ll take a shot at it. My guess is 4 min till midnight. Only because Iran is hell bent on getting a nuke and Israel is hell bent on stopping them. There is no compromising on this one, some one is going down. The question is who will they be taking with them.

Oh, the move will be just one minuet because they need room to move it again. You know keep people interested.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Oh I forgot I'm going to say 3 minutes and I agree it's as useless as it looks they even need to move it by hand.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

It went back, just as I suspected. I am surprised it was only 1 minute back, but since it is the first time in history that it went backwards, I guess 1 minute is significant!

THIS DOES NOT MEAN WE ARE SAFER! It only means that TPTB see the world leaders and governments as less of a threat to one another. "We the People" are really no better off, and quite possibly we are in dire straits because the worldwide cooperation has brought us so much closer to NWO!

The Doomsday Clock has been set back 1 minute for the first time in its 63-year history. In moving the clock from 5 minutes before midnight to 6 minutes before midnight, scientists expressed optimism for humanity's future.

new topics

top topics

join