It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Preschoolers on Antideppresants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   
This month, a study published in the American journal Psychiatric Services revealed that anti-depressant use grew by 10 per cent each year among children in America. The fastest growing market was pre-school children. In the US, more than one in 50 children now takes an anti-depressant. A similar story came from Italy. During 2002, half a million prescriptions were written for anti-depressants to patients under 18.
Link

Of course preschoolers are going to be hyperactive!
What if these drugs affect their developing brain?

4year-old's taking drugs.Sick.

cma

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Just another governmental stunt to make the economy go up by selling those types of things...

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I think its more teachers who don't want to have rowdy kids in thier classes. It was recommended to me a few times by teachers that my kids go on meds in preschool and kindergarden. Which was BS, the teachers suggest these things to the families, freaking them out, so they take thier kids to the doctors and after telling them what the teachers said, they put them on anti-depressants to mellow them out.

ITS A BUNCH OF BS!! AND IT MAKES ME VERY ANGRY!

kids are kids and rowdy, figgity, and hyper...thats what kids are! let them be kids! not midless zombies.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 11:17 PM
link   
It's got a lot to do with E-numbers and additives in drinks, food and sweets. Sugar too. The amount of the stuff that sends kids bonkers in foodstuffs is astounding if you look into it, and lots of people are ignorant of it so they label their kid hyperactive. They can also stop them sleeping properly with causes mood swings etc. Experts in the U.K yesterday recommended banning artificial food colourings for the sake of public health, and to cut hyperactivity in children.
BBC

I think the Government said something about it yesterday too but I can't find a link.

There's been a lot of studies done on the affect of diet in general on people�s behavior and state of mind. Studies done on prisoners and children fed a specific diet showed that after a few weeks the children were happier, could concentrate better, took in more information, were more awake and alert, had more energy and were generally better behaved. The prisoners were the same and also showed much reduced signs of aggression.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Yes i totaly agree with you they shouldnt do that!!!!!!!!!
one of my friends used to be on meds he was a freickin mindless
zombie till i told him not to take them then hismindless parents found out and i got punished!!!!

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 04:53 AM
link   
It makes me angry as well. My four-year-old is extremely hyper, and I sat down and did research as to what could be causing it. There is a body of study that links sugar, food dyes (red & yellow) and food allergies to what is commonly called ADHD, and by reducing these elements as much as possible and adding salmon oil capsules (provides the fatty amino acids that the brain needs for proper neuron function) and vitamins A&D, I found that the studies were correct. At least in my case -- I acknowledge that others may have a more serious problem, but I wonder how much it is explored before the medication option is taken.

The thing is, food dyes are almost impossible to eliminate unless one goes completely organic, and organic stores are somewhat of a rarity and extremely expensive around here. Just finding children's vitamins without sugar and dyes was difficult, but GNC came through. Would you believe farmers feed red dye to chickens so that the yolks of their eggs are a more pleasing yellow? Even some juices have dyes added to them!

I know that some teachers would rather have zombie children than deal with hyper ones. It was recommended that I be put on medication when I was in kindergarten, and my parents refused. I figure it's the least I can do for my own child, and considering I grew out of my hyperactivity, he stands every chance of doing the same.

What really concerns me is that by giving children stuff like lithium, etc. at such a young age, their brains are being altered before they're even fully grown. The long-term effects are nothing to underestimate. I'd rather withstand hyperactivity now and take a dietary approach than have my kid commit suicide later.

[edit on 7-6-2004 by Hecate100]
Getting used to a new keyboard, argh!

[edit on 7-6-2004 by Hecate100]

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Orwell must be doing summer salts in his grave now a day�s .Pacification of the masses is on its way.
No wonder kids are messed up these days, all the sh*t in our food and the sh*t that is forced fed to us in the media and all that other sh*t .. Oh well, if a kid acts strange or out of place at school, drugs are the solution, than he/she can be like the rest of the lobotomized consumer drones.

[edit on 7-6-2004 by Opus]

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I remember when being a kid was fun!!
I remember when a little curiosity was encouraged!
I remember when trying to be the best was a good trait!!
I remember when being "hyper" was just youthful enthusiasm!!
I Remember well and try to instill this in my fun, curious, competetive, hyper kids every chance I get, and hope you do too!!

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   
This is ridiculous. When I have kids you'll never see me falling to the pressure of schools and making my kids take any kind of drug.

Has anyone seen the movie Equilibrium. Oh man... Before you know it we'll all be taking pills throughout the day to stop us from feeling any kind of emotion... Like you said, Orwell is probably having a field day, "I told you so!"

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I used to be really really hyper when i was a young kid. I sometimes get a little hyper still but not much. I've mostly grown out of being hyper. Never took any medications for it. Didn't change my diet either it just kind of is going away.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   
This is messed up. Pharmaceudical companies will push any product to any part of the population to increase their revenues. The biggest problem is parents not having a clue of what the medication does and its side affects and think just because the Dr. says its ok there is nothing wrong. People really need to do their own research on their own symtomns and those of their kids and know what medicine they're taking and its side affects.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
This is messed up. Pharmaceudical companies will push any product to any part of the population to increase their revenues. The biggest problem is parents not having a clue of what the medication does and its side affects and think just because the Dr. says its ok there is nothing wrong. People really need to do their own research on their own symtomns and those of their kids and know what medicine they're taking and its side affects.

This is true, but it seems that a large number of the adults these days are already on mood altering meds leaving them helpless to make cognitive decisions themselves. Try watching some of the commercials of so called helpful medications these days and Pay Attention to the "possible side effects" disclaimer and u wonder how anyone in their "right mind" would take them. Personally I stick to a prescription of Bud Light taken as needed with little or no side effects!!! Cheers!!!

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
Try watching some of the commercials of so called helpful medications these days and Pay Attention to the "possible side effects" disclaimer and u wonder how anyone in their "right mind" would take them.

I'm waiting for one to come out that says, "Side effects may include, but aren't limited to, death."

Those commercials are ridiculous. Who would want to take such meds? You take one, it fixes something, but gives you 4 more problems that you end up dealing with by getting more meds, that cause more problems. It's a big conspiracy by the drug companies trying to make tons of money, that's what it is. They're all in cahoots.

top topics

join