It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA photographs "Trees" on Mars

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Martian Swamp Gas. Nothing to see here, please move along people.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Carl Sagan once saw similar pics and was convinced that they were trees.
A lot of good pics were posted on geocities.com but I guess they're gone for good since the site shut down a couple month's ago.
Pictures of city grids and ruined cities on Mars.
One of the city grids was very similar to Phoenix, AZ
You can Google "inca city mars" and view the pics but they're not as good as the ones I saw on geocities.com

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I KNEW a thread like this was going to be made.

To be fair I nearly fell off my chair when I saw this on The Sun website. Until I remembered what website I was on, and that 'Leaf on Mars' is not the headline your going to put up for such a serious, important news story.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Zedd31415

How dare you use logic!

believe me, i'll be the one partying the hardest when we truely find something like this!

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by PACRIM

star for the NIN quote!

reznor is a very good lyricist, among other things!

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   

shadow???

[edit on 13-1-2010 by MarkLuitzen]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead
Amazing photo. I don't exactly buy their explanation. According to the article the "trees" are really trails of debris caused by landslides as ice melts in Mars's spring.

Yeah I'm not really buying it either.

It doesn't exactly help their case that they didn't provide any kind of further data or how they were able to reach their conclusions exactly. They just said it. Well, if they said it, by golly it must be true. Yeah, right.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
They already know what they are, it's just dirt.
There is always a simple explanation, try looking for it first before you make up wild theories and end up embarrassing yourself.

NASA says: "The streaks are sand, dislodged as ice evaporates, which slide down the dune. At this time of the Martian year the whole scene is covered by CO2 frost."

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarkLuitzen

shadow???

[edit on 13-1-2010 by MarkLuitzen]

No, Not shadow. More debris.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Just wondering, but how can people hypothecize that these are trees, a mere 200 miles from the pole? On earth there is barely any vegetation 200 miles away from the pole, and on mars its oh, about 100+ degrees colder. Cold enough to freeze CO2 right out of the air.

Nice picture though. I love the coloring if that is what it really supposedly looks like. It has a CGI feel to it almost, with the way the pinkish hills are formed, looks almost unnatural.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by DocEmrick

Martian Swamp Gas. Nothing to see here, please move along people.

Your input is quite profound...it must have taken you a day or two to match up all the syllables and consonants correctly so it all made sense, huh..?

You do a disservice to whatever side of the house you are on...

On Topic:

Trees or no trees, it would be tight to bring the sand-rail out there...

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Okay my opinion differs .. I see a tall object with a shadow between it and the rockbed behind it . so there is a distance between the object and the rockbed and shadow is projected onto the rockbed..
So my view is a little bit different on what I see and what you see. but that is the great thing in a discussion

hope to see what others think about it .. somekind of a second or third opinion option

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Yep, unfortunately this is just some dirt, no trees.

Second line

[edit on 13/1/2010 by d0p3d]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by DraconianKing
They already know what they are, it's just dirt.
There is always a simple explanation, try looking for it first before you make up wild theories and end up embarrassing yourself.

There is nothing "wild" about the idea that Mars could have had a different amount of atmosphere in the past and may have been able to support some form of life. It's a theory just as equally as your "simple explanations" that aren't really explanations at all.

What scientific (objective) investigation went into determining that these were formed as stated? Do they have other photographs that show it more clearly so that one can easily differentiate between a tree-like structure and what they are talking about as it happens? I'm asking because, as an engineering student myself, I know you can't scientifically say something like that and not give data for it. Otherwise it's an opinion, no different than anyone else's, and one that's being given as a fact to you by these people that, since associated with science, you take as priest-like and assume their conclusions must be true, especially since they require no change in thinking.

I have made it clear what I want to see, so if it exists someone will either show it to me now, or else I'll just see more rhetoric and further proof that no evidence or data has been provided for this and it is not a scientific assessment.

NASA says: "The streaks are sand, dislodged as ice evaporates, which slide down the dune. At this time of the Martian year the whole scene is covered by CO2 frost."

That is a great theory. So this is the part where, if they want to state this happened as fact, they will now show how they proved their theory. At least to their readers who are actually skeptically minded. What separates an opinion (theory) from a fact is overwhelming evidence.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Based on what I've seen, they appear very much like trees what with the individuated columns and such. However, if they could ever get in closer and take more detailed pictures of landscapes from numerous locations around the planet, there'd be no doubt that we would see vegetation and other phenomena on the surface. There's a lot about Mars that NASA isn't telling us. I love their data, but I don't trust any of their explanations.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
The explanation seems fitting to me. The streaks are coming from the ridges of these dunes, which when we look at earthly examples seems fitting. Looking at the image itself we can also see a streak in the top half of the image that defies the angles the rest of the 'trees' would be aligned to. Additionally I'll mention that if these were trees the angles would all be wrong. The pictures are taken birds-eye, and so we must consider that they if trees would be defying geotropism rather heavily. Can this defiance be caused by the avalanche however?

On the other hand, for those who want to believe, here's an example of how vegetation grows naturally aligned in a dune environ. Here also is an example of how trees can grow in a line due to environmental conditions at lower elevations being unfavourable such as on a small protrusion of ground above (or in this case seemingly just under) water level.

I personally believe it's very likely there are large lifeforms on the surface of mars, however I personally don't think this is an example of some of them - at least not large conifers or the like.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I for one am sick of arguments over low res images. It's 2010. Give me anything less than a 100m perspective or 5MP picture and I won't even care. There's not enough resolution in this image to discuss it either way.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Everything on Mars indicates and seems to cry out humans were here, remember us!

Everything we see is after airbrushing and whatever else they hide - just like on Luna.

Carved faces and clearly animals like in Parrotopia (found by a great man "Will Faust" who will be missed), plant life, as well as aqueducts and water supply lines, the outlines of ancient cities covered in thousands of years of dirt and dust, pyramids in alignment with our own Giza.

There was either a major planet collision (Asteroid belt) or this is, like he said in the video, a very large moon that had an abundance of life. My theory is something ripped through the planet and its own gravity and mass pulled itself back together and what is left that we see is on the hemispheric planes lying away from collision points.

You can clearly see on JPL's own site, that the color is off on the rover sundial. They have manipulated the images and skewed the colors to make Mars look red and dead, which it is not.

The life is underground, and it is no longer science fiction!

If the sky is blue and the ground not much a different shade of brown soil/ground as seen on Earth, that would tell me there is still an atmosphere and you would be able to live and "breath" on or "in" Mars.

And isn't it funny, that all these plants and trees occur near the zones of so called water/ice and they can always explain them away as oxidization or dunes! Man, that pisses me off!

[edit on 13-1-2010 by arizonascott]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I am not convinced that they are trees, but it does look like some kind of vegetation, Maybe some kind of vines or a stringy form of algae. But there is life on the red ball in the sky.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
okay these are not trees
if you look at the high-res image, scroll a little to the right after magnifying some of the "trees" start from above the ground.

Imagine alot of snow and oil stains here and there and it dripping down.
Of course that's not snow i'm giving you an analogy.

However it might look like some liquid that is erupting from the ground.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join