It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA photographs "Trees" on Mars

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
in the Martian winter, carbon dioxide freezes out of the air (and you thought it was cold where you are). In the summer, that CO2 sublimates; that is, turns directly from a solid to a gas. When that happens the sand gets disturbed, and falls down the slopes in little channels, which spreads out when it hits the bottom. But this disturbs the red dust, too, which flows with the sand. When it’s all done, you get those feathery tendrils. Note that at the tendril tips, you see blotches of red; that’s probably from the lighter dust billowing a bit before settling down.

this is from another thread on this by the way
dreamers dream
other people google to find out what it really is

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Not trees. For once I think the official report on this is correct. Look at the large image.

BIG IMAGE

At this resolution, they are clearly NOT trees.

Edit to add:

Also, if they were trees, those would be some HUGE trees. I'm not sure what the scale of this image is, but those can't be trees.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by OrphenFire]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Well, after all this. The only way to truly be sure is to wait until the 2030-2035 manned mission to Mars.

Until then, for all we know they could be dead trees, fossilized trees, agatized trees or bushes from a nuclear war on Mars millions of years ago, fantastic oil fields, traces of great oil etc...all we can do is speculate. Its very interesting, but even when the manned mission to Mars verifies these things; again all we can do is speculate - because its TPTB.

Well...I dont think all of us will have our own personal space crafts in this life time. I think, maybe, we should just leave it at that. Unless...one of you actually have billions of dollars and could launch your own shuttle

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Ok, yes, they don't really look like trees to me, but then again, how do I know what trees on Mars should look like... !?
The ''avalanche'' theory ? I don't see those brown lines like flowing... Anyways, a nice photo.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Why doesn't everyone just forget about Mars. It's dirty, barren, and obviously cold, No trees, water, or sand people, all I see are odd formations with a possible what if. But they are very interesting pictures, very beautiful landscape from afar, although I am sure that changes the closer to the surface you get. Equipped with a good imagination and I can make something out of nothing.

I honestly think Mars is dead, no life anywhere; maybe in a few hundred years we could have the means to terraform the planet into something a little more Earth-life favorable. And if there is Mars life, that won't last long. We don't need none of that.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by milkmustache]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
It looks to me that after a complete anihilation of that planet, it is coming back with vegetation. We certainly wont b around to see much more develop but its undergoing a transformation.

mho

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
If they are trees, one of them is growing upside down.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Thats one weird picture* however, the pic appears to be photoshoped or ink ran during printing or something.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I definately see the tree optical illusion!! however, I can tell with 99% surety that this is just a natural phenomenon/illusion. I have actualy seen this upclose before, and let me explain.

My father was a earth science and biology teacher for our school. He was always very interested in geology as well, so as a child many times he took us on "mineral hunting expeditions". nothing fancy. But there was this area we visited in NNY, that was a desert basically, which is very rare in my area. Now the interesting thing is that the "topsoil" in this desert was dark. And this was from sitting in the sun. When it would rain, it would make the top layer of the ground heavier. which in turn would create a mini "avalanche". its the same science really. A heavy layer sitting on top of a lighter layer. so we could throw rocks at the top dunes, and create our own mini avalanche. But the interesting part is that, it would reveal the bottom layer, which would be significantly lighter from not sitting in the sun. This is the exact same phenomena we are seeing in these mars photographs. Or atleast, that is my most viable explanation!

Edit: obviously though, the case is reversed with the mars photo. the top layer is lighter, revealing a darker layer underneath!

[edit on 1/13/2010 by VonDoomen]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I thought they were trees at first until I looked at the big picture and it clearly shows they are not trees, then again to me this picture just looks fake. Obviously a way over exposed computer generated image. I bet if I was standing on Mars it would looking nothing like that picture.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by kindred]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkmustache
Why doesn't everyone just forget about Mars. It's dirty, barren, and obviously cold, No trees, water, or sand people, all I see are odd formations with a possible what if.

Mars is PLAN B for Earth.

It will take billions of years, but; our Sun is evolving into a Red Giant. I assume at some point along the line Earth will dry up, and Mars will have the conditions Earth once had. We will need to continue to move further away to Each planet.

Well, it may take billions of years, but I wonder what teraforming Jupiter will be like
- It would not have any over population problems ehh?

[edit on 13/1/2010 by the_denv]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
It is always hard to see the forest for the trees.................

I wonder what our trees will look like after a magnetic pole shift?

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Solofront

No my comment was in relation to the post about the other dots in the picture being "bushes and shrubs".

The article states that the supposed trees are in fact CO2 and therefore to assume that the other dots are shrubs/bushes is a leap of faith.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
it would help if we knew what the scale or size of the objects were. I didn't see anything in the original article or this thread that gave a scale.

Where are those mars rovers????

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
The core is slowing down on Mars. It very well may stop altogether before then.

Jupiter's mass makes it too heavy for us to live on. If you could somehow change the atmosphere, the best you might hope for it large floating platforms that were high enough into the atmosphere that the gravity wouldn't make us into very ugly messy pancakes.

Originally posted by the_denv

Originally posted by milkmustache
Why doesn't everyone just forget about Mars. It's dirty, barren, and obviously cold, No trees, water, or sand people, all I see are odd formations with a possible what if.

Mars is PLAN B for Earth.

It will take billions of years, but; our Sun is evolving into a Red Giant. I assume at some point along the line Earth will dry up, and Mars will have the conditions Earth once had. We will need to continue to move further away to Each planet.

Well, it may take billions of years, but I wonder what teraforming Jupiter will be like
- It would not have any over population problems ehh?

[edit on 13/1/2010 by the_denv]

[edit on 2010/1/13 by Aeons]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
If they were trees there would be shadows.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by clearmind
it would help if we knew what the scale or size of the objects were. I didn't see anything in the original article or this thread that gave a scale.

Where are those mars rovers????

They put the rovers into craters that they figure had a good chance of showing water. They are close to the polar regions. One of the rovers is stuck in what seems to be mud.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_denv
Well, after all this. The only way to truly be sure is to wait until the 2030-2035 manned mission to Mars.

Until then, for all we know they could be dead trees, fossilized trees, agatized trees or bushes from a nuclear war on Mars millions of years ago, fantastic oil fields, traces of great oil etc...all we can do is speculate. Its very interesting, but even when the manned mission to Mars verifies these things; again all we can do is speculate - because its TPTB.

Well...I dont think all of us will have our own personal space crafts in this life time. I think, maybe, we should just leave it at that. Unless...one of you actually have billions of dollars and could launch your own shuttle

Very good point. Nobody really knows what they are and it is all speculation at this point. They could be fossilized trees from a long dead forrest or some other plant life that we are unaware of. I wouldn't expect Martian trees to look like trees on Earth so who knows.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

if I take the big picture of the area posted here earlier I found something with a shadow its as high as the dune/rockbed behind it

any explaination of what it might be?

[edit on 13-1-2010 by MarkLuitzen]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Thanks for posting the higher res picture, indeed was interesting viewing.

I love seeing new pictures, the possibilities are endless. - Even if some of them are clearly explainable as optical illusions.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join