It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The strange last voyage of Donald Crowhurst

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Please allow me to present this odd and mostly forgotten little nautical yarn for your delectation, ATS. A true story of madness on the high seas, unexplained disappearance, and the mysteries of the number "243." Conspiracy, alien abduction, simple derangement, or something else? You decide.

The story revolves around an enigmatic character named Donald Crowhurst. A basic rundown of his tale can be found courtesy of our old friend Wikipedia:
en.wikipedia.org...

I will summarize the points that may be of interest to the ATS audience.

Donald Crowhurst, a British businessman, disappeared in a presumed suicide at sea in 1969 during the Sunday Times Golden Globe sailing race.

The race was the first (and as far as I know, the last) single-handed, non-stop, around-the-world yacht race. The very concept behind such a race is not only extraordinarily dangerous: if you know the ocean and sailing at all, you will probably agree it is nearly insane. This may be the reason the race was held only once.

Crowhurst sailed a trimaran (triple-hulled sailboat) during the race that was named the Teignmouth Electron. Strange name for a boat, and very strange type of boat to take on such a voyage. And a strange man behind the wheel, for that matter.

At some point, he peeled off from the race and attempted to cheat the officials by reporting fake positions while remaining adrift, hoping to take a shorcut and claim false victory. Meanwhile, so the story goes, his mind began to deteriorate. His log entries became bizarre and unhinged, at least from a conventional perspective:

The last several weeks of his log entries, once he was facing a real possibility of winning the prize, showed increasing irrationality. In the end, his writings during the voyage - poems, quotations, real and fake log entries, and random thoughts - amounted to more than 25,000 words. The log books include an attempt to construct a philosophical reinterpretation of the human condition that would provide an escape from his impossible situation. The number 243 shows up several times in these writings: he originally planned to finish the trip in 243 days, recorded a false distance of 243 nautical miles (450 km) in one day's sailing (which if valid would have been a record day's run at the time), and may have ended his life on the 243rd day (1 July) of his voyage.

His last log entry was on 1 July 1969; it is assumed that he then jumped overboard and drowned.

Quote source:
en.wikipedia.org...

His boat was later found floating, empty, containing only his long, rambling screeds...notable for their overuse of the number "243."

Does anyone remember this, or have you ever heard of it? Its a nut that's hard to crack. I'd be curious to hear ATS theories. Do you think he killed himself? Was taken away to space? Transcended to another plane? Or is still living in an antarctic hideaway to this day?

And what's so special about the number "243," anyway? Any of you champion numerical manipulators and conspiracy buffs out there feel like taking a crack at it?

[edit on 1/13/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Where as I love to jump to the conclusion of alien abductions or time slips-- id have to say that my thought is that he was obsessed with 243- there is no way he could of existed for nearly a year on just rainwater. And fishing poles with little bait.

Ive seen tons of discovery episodes of people lost at sea- and eventually when they are thirsty enough they drink the sea water which completely dehydrates the body and they go into a hysteria for 24-48 hours and then- they either jump off the boat because they hallucinate that they see another ship or land- or they get eaten by a shark in the ocean... either way- a terrible way to go

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I saw a documentary on this ... it is a sad case of a man who was under severe financial pressure. He needed to win at at all costs and basically sailed in circles.

A win would have solved a lot of his financial crisis.

At some point he realized that he would not get away with it so he basically committed suicide.

I vaguely remember that the name of his boat was named after a sponsor.

new topics

join