It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Metal from Belarus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Today, Belarus is probably best known as being the home to “Europe's Last Dictator”,Alexander Lukashenko . However dictatorships and tyrrany are certainly nothing new for Belarus or, as this nation was also known, Byelorussia. Through centuries of Russian domination – Tsarist to the present – this nation seems to languish in a state of perpetual tyrrany. A sense of hopelessness seems to permeate the metal .... it is without end. I found this metal strangely soul-full. There is no hope but these people will endure! They will endure.

Like the Viking metal, the Pagan metal of the Baltic region, the metal of Belarus certainly beats with a pulse of ancient warriors..... warriors from the darkest times. As part of the Polish - Lithuanian Commonwealth, Byelorussia was certainly part of a proud military power, the music draws upon this in similar fashion to the Viking/Pagan genres. Perhaps I am merely projecting my own prejudices, my own beliefs? Perhaps. Nevertheless, I was surprised to find such a powerfully melodic style of metal in Belarus. Frankly.....really quite good.

Folkvang - “One Rode to Asa Bay" ( Bathory cover )

Rasta - “Blast
I really enjoyed this video in that it had this UFO alien encounter in it. Considering that we are talking about a video by a bylorus metal band.....it's pretty good.

[edit on 1/13/2010 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
As strange as it might seem, I'm really 'getting into' Belarussian metal. It really is more 'folk metal' or 'pagan metal' and evocative of bands like Man O'War. Perhaps it isn't to everyone's taste but it appeals to my Baltic warrior spirit.

Vicious Crusade "Theodore's Song"

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Bought this album in St. Petersburg, Russia back in 2007.

Znich - Belarus'

Great stuff!

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
Folkvang - “One Rode to Asa Bay" ( Bathory cover )

Haha, I had no idea that there was a karaoke version of that old classic!

I couldn't help but sing along there for a bit. People around me gave me suspicious glances...

"One man rode through the woods, down to Asa-bay Where dragon ships had sailed the seas, more times than one could say He wanted to see with his own eyes, what was told from man to man That the great god of almightyness, had arrived from a foregin land..."

The original song is Swedish however (felt like I needed to add that).

I also have a question; why is Belarus' called that?
The translation would be something like "The white Rus'" or like it's called in Swedish "White Russia" (Vitryssland).
I've asked around for an explanation but never got one...

[edit on 31-3-2010 by Raud]

[edit on 31-3-2010 by Raud]

top topics

join