It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Wet' computing systems to boost processing power

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   

'Wet' computing systems to boost processing power

January 12, 2010

(PhysOrg.com) -- A new kind of information processing technology inspired by chemical processes in living systems is being developed by researchers at the University of Southampton, UK.

Dr Maurits de Planque and Dr Klaus-Peter Zauner at the University’s School of Electronics and Computer Science (ECS) are working on a project which has just received €1.8 million from the European Union’s Future and Emerging Technologies (FET) Proactive Initiatives, which recognises ground-breaking work which has already demonstrated important potential.

The researchers, Dr de Planque, a biochemist, and Dr Zauner, a computer scientist, will adapt brain processes to a 'wet' information processing scenario by setting up chemicals in a tube which behave like the transistors in a computer chip

“What we are developing here is a very crude, minimal liquid brain and the final computer will be ‘wet’ just like our brain,” said Dr Zauner. “People realise now that the best information processes we have are in our heads and as we are increasingly finding that silicon has its limitations in terms of information processing, we need to explore other approaches, which is exactly what we are doing here.”
Click on headline for full article

Now this is interesting...I've been wondering for some time now when they would start developing organic machines based on biological functions...this would seem to be the start of the next generation of computers...I think, if we really want to create powerful computers with unimaginable computational abilities...we need to seriously look into using organic materials...and we should be studying the architecture of the human brain and how it processes information to help design these next generation computers.

I hope they make good progress with this, it's very exciting indeed.

[edit on 12/1/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

We already did...hi.

All those cells assembled from atoms...assembled by microscopic elements, chemically activated and electrically powered from the big bumper car sky current called "Air". The air that causes friction with the earth and charges our beings to animate.

I'm still amazed by it....anyway nice find.

Funny, because silicon is close to cilia...a real nanobot.

Peace

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

P.S. Your avatar rocks. I could watch that for hours...Peace

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
The first time I ever read about quantum computers it was applied to a "Wet" type. This idea has been around a while, but only now can we actually give it a shot.

new topics

top topics

join