It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clowns to the Left of me, Jokers to the Right... Here I am, stuck in the middle and SCREWED!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by truthquest

EDIT: See post below by Jean Paul - I misspoke and posted a not so thoughtful post

Prohibiting women to vote was not a regulation. It was the culture of the times. To rectify and ensure no State would abridge that right, Congress amended the Constitution. Similarly to the 13th amendment and so on. As culture changes and times change, Congress and the People have the ultimate weapon to make changes, through amending the Constitution. It is a big uptake and that is why we see the sidestepping of that process via laws, executive orders, and court decisions. It is easier and generally the People are non the wiser.

Rolling back regulations is a whole other ballpark and I believe there is already a post in regards to it, somewhat.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by ownbestenemy]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
reply to post by truthquest

Prohibiting women to vote was not a regulation. It was the culture of the times. To rectify and ensure no State would abridge that right, Congress amended the Constitution. Similarly to the 13th amendment and so on. As culture changes and times change, Congress and the People have the ultimate weapon to make changes, through amending the Constitution. It is a big uptake and that is why we see the sidestepping of that process via laws, executive orders, and court decisions. It is easier and generally the People are non the wiser.

Rolling back regulations is a whole other ballpark and I believe there is already a post in regards to it, somewhat.

I am sorry to disagree with you my friend, but voting is not a right but rather a privilege. Rights preexist the government, and clearly, since governments don't exist pre-voting, it is the government that then is tasked with the regulation of voting. This is why only citizens are allowed to vote and not everyone. This is why an age requirement is placed upon the ability to vote.

Further, while women suffrage was granted by Amendment, the 13th Amendment shouldn't be considered any grant of right, as it is clearly a prohibition Amendment. It is unfortunate their is a 14th Amendment that gives the appearance of granting rights and it is argued that this Amendment was necessary to ensure freed slaves could enjoy the same rights as others, but this grossly misinterprets the rights of the People.

Slaves always had the rights of others and those rights were being abrogated and derogated, and this made the 13th Amendment necessary.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthquest
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

I strongly disagree that there are two polar opposites. Virtually everyone in politics all agree that government needs to get a whole lot bigger, and requires a whole lot more employees. The only disagreement is where to spend our money next.

But really we are in a zero party system, since for-profit corporations really the ones that write the laws.

We have the party of Liberals (Democan'ts) and the party of Conservatives (Republicons)... How much more polar do you need??? I do, however, agree with the last part of what you said... The Corporations are running it all!

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Ah yes, I misspoke. Shouldn't post so late. Voting, is not a guaranteed right and Federally we are not guaranteed the 'right' to vote. You there are correct.

No more late night posts for me

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Ah yes, I misspoke. Shouldn't post so late. Voting, is not a guaranteed right and Federally we are not guaranteed the 'right' to vote. You there are correct.

No more late night posts for me

Oh come on buddy, we all misspeak, it is not a crime. Besides, I mostly do all my posting late night and have come to enjoy your company too much to loose it. Please reconsider. In fact, I just noticed that I misspoke in my own post correcting you! I said that since governments don't exist pre-voting...which is only true of democratic and free governments and not so true of say, Monarchies and other forms of tyranny! I am going to leave that incorrect statement as is to stand as evidence that we all say stupid things late at night.!!

[edit on 13-1-2010 by Jean Paul Zodeaux]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join