It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Challenge to All

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
People on this board often get very excited about whatever the topic is, often nasty and angry with each other because they disagree on the issue. Truth is there are plenty of issues to go around. We all have favorites. We don't all believe the same.
Some believe in AGW, some don't. Some believe in health care reform, some don't.

I have one question for all. What have YOU done about your favorite issue?

Whats your top issue? What do you think is the most important topic of the moment? Is it AGW? Maybe its GMO food? Or stopping foreign wars? ( the list possibilities is really long)
Now what have you done about it? Other than just typing and yelling at people on the internet what have you actually done?
For an example:
For a while the health care issue was a big one for me. I wrote letters to about half the congress, several times.

What have YOU done for your issue?

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Interesting post.

I joined the zeitgeist movement and decided to put myself through school for software development after watching zeitgeist addendum.

I totally got a copy of Modern Money Mechanics on pdf, and it is one of the most interesting things I have ever read.

Fractional Reserve banking pwns us.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by dalan.

I have a very slight idea of fractional reserve banking and am not sure if you mean that in a good or bad way, but I thought this method allows for very fast expansion? With speeding almost anything up more risk comes along but don't you think the benefits outweigh the risks?

That is the process of loaning out a high percentage of borrowed money (aka money that isn't truly there), correct? Then that money goes through the same/various cycles as well.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by dalan.

Thats a good one. Abolish the fed is high on my list. I have no money in the bank and no credit cards. Jefferson wrote once that he regretted not making it so the Federal Gov. could not borrow money. Something to think about if the people ever get control of the gov. again.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I have written my representatives and senators many times on many issues. Called too. Further, we have a small farm wayout in the country and grow about 60% of our own food. We are all natural, not certified organic-don't want government folks out here-no antibiotics or hormones or petrol fertilizers, no pesticides or herbicides, and we grow heirloom seeds/plants.
Put up and preserve our food, have the root cellar, pantry, and have developed our "primitive" skills. Heat with wood, starting to use the barter system more and more, and well... anyway, you get the picture. Next up, a spring house for water and refridgeration.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by FritosBBQTwist

Originally posted by dalan.

I have a very slight idea of fractional reserve banking and am not sure if you mean that in a good or bad way, but I thought this method allows for very fast expansion? With speeding almost anything up more risk comes along but don't you think the benefits outweigh the risks?

That is the process of loaning out a high percentage of borrowed money (aka money that isn't truly there), correct? Then that money goes through the same/various cycles as well.

Fractional Reserve banking is inflation. There is no other way to put it. EXTREMELY FAST EXPANSION of the money supply.

The real kicker is the fact that with Fractional Reserve banking all money is created out of debt. The use of interest being charged when new money is created is criminal to say the least.

here is a link for the pdf:
Modern Money Mechanics

Oh, and by the way

I meant that mostly in a sarcastic way...as my Writing and Rhetoric Professor would put it, I can be pretty "snarky" sometimes."

[edit on 1/12/2010 by dalan.]

[edit on 1/12/2010 by dalan.]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chett

Well, just about anything from the Fragile Earth forum has my interest, especially earthquakes. I could try stopping this tectonic drift thingy but somehow i don't think a signed petition will do it...

Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Peace

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Chett

If I was someone who lived in a middle eastern country that happened to be occupied by U.S. forces, would you expect me to strap on a bomb and kill off as many soldiers as possible? Would I do something similar if a foreign army took over my country....mmmm, maybe I would. You mentioned one of your action items was to write numerous letters to useless congressmen about how you felt in regards to the healthcare system here, how did that work out for you?

For me, sitting on my ass and typing away on sites such as ATS is about as extreme I am going to get. Any real action is futile and pointless. Those who actually have the power to make a difference have no interest in ruffling the feathers of the status quo. I could go on and on but that would be a waste of keystrokes.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

LMAO- I guess not all our favorite issues are something we can act on. Maybe don't live in CA?

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

Very nice and sensible. Wish I could join you on that path. Perhaps land prices will fall enough eventually to let more of us take that route.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jitombe

Giving up not an option.It makes those who call us sheeple right. I am sure this is not just an American problem. The problems in other countries are for the most part different but they still have things they could do,and no,violence only breeds more violence.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime

Originally posted by Chett

Well, just about anything from the Fragile Earth forum has my interest, especially earthquakes. I could try stopping this tectonic drift thingy but somehow i don't think a signed petition will do it...

Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Peace

Same as Operation Mindcrime. My favourite forum is Fragile Earth. Can't really do much about stopping those Eq's & Volcanoes, but since i've been a member, I like to think i've gained more insight and knowledge on a lot of other subjects to do with our planet. I know it does not really help in the 'big picture' but hey, I enjoy learning.

I guess maybe one more slightly informed person might one day make a difference?

Plus i do my best to make sure the people around me are kept informed on certain issues i hear about on here, just so they know that it's not just work.sleep.eat.MSM.work.sleep.eat.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Well I became inspired by Robin Hood, so I steal from the poor and give to the rich…?

Or was that I steal from the rich and give to the poor…?

Alright, alright so I haven’t decided who I a going to give the money to yet!

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
What a good point OP. The fact is, if more of us don't get off our backsides and do something, then we can whinge away on places like this and nothing will change.
I understand the feeling of hopelessness. But it's important our voices are heard. I'm hearing more people questioning stuff on radio phone ins, letters to the editor etc.. So there is at the least a growing awareness. Who knows - a growing movement may be able to tip the balance. So we shouldn't be afraid to share with our friends, family and neighbours. And that is at least a start.

top topics

join