It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 7.0 - HAITI REGION

page: 56
<< 53  54  55    57 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
reply to post by ROBL240

I agree, this one is too big to be called an AFTERSHOCK, this was i think a separate Earth quake. Now this one will set off aftershocks.

No end in sight to the mysery.

I feel really bad for Haiti. But I've reached my limit in charity.

Wonder if that was the nail in the coffin, so to speak, for all those that are still trapped in rubble. Like Mother Nature putting them out of their misery.

I'm concerned about the disease that will come from this. Haiti has always had very sick people and now they are being transported all around the world.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Dang it .I was hoping the shaking was over . There had not been anything showing up on the charts since Sunday. I cant imagine the terror they felt with the new shaking!

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by fromtheheart66
Dang it .I was hoping the shaking was over . There had not been anything showing up on the charts since Sunday. I cant imagine the terror they felt with the new shaking!

Unfortunately Haiti sits on a sliver of crust between two major plates, imagine if you will two giant bulldozers fighting over the one boulder, in due time they will be ground down.

See this Google map here.

maps.google.com...,-72.8752&spn=2,2&f=d&t=h&hl=e

switch to satellite/hybrid view if necessary and zoom back till the scale is at 200 miles or 500kms, you can see the smaller sub plates in the region.

[edit on 20-1-2010 by prof-rabbit]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by prof-rabbit

Originally posted by fromtheheart66

Unfortunately Haiti sits on a sliver of crust between two major plates, imagine if you will two giant bulldozers fighting over the one boulder, in due time they will be ground down.

See this Google map here.

maps.google.com...,-72.8752&spn=2,2&f=d&t=h&hl=e

switch to satellite/hybrid view if necessary and zoom back till the scale is at 200 miles or 500kms, you can see the smaller sub plates in the region.

[edit on 20-1-2010 by prof-rabbit]

And the ancients knew that when they chose it for a slave colony and not a settlement. Smart ancients without the technology we have today, eh?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by JJay55
And the ancients knew that when they chose it for a slave colony and not a settlement. Smart ancients without the technology we have today, eh?

Sorry? this is relevant in what way?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by prof-rabbit

Originally posted by JJay55

Sorry? this is relevant in what way?

Depends on when the silver crust you mentioned was discovered, I suppose.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
6.1 aftershock just happened

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
foto.jp.dk...

Haitian police are shooting looters. Notice the young girl in pink shot dead for looting pictures. But notice it is Haiti police not US military so don't start the bash US with the picture.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

I really feel the need to point out here that the Haitian police, and Minustah, have been murdering their own citizenry for some time now. I see no reason why they shouldn't continue now, when they have a valid "reason". No wonder so many Haitians welcome the US back.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
www.dailymotion.com...

Wyclef Jean Requests An Exodus From Haiti. He wants 2,000,000 Haitians to leave Haiti for other countries.

We don't need them in Florida Wyclef find some where else!!!!

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

well...I kind of agree. They need to completely rebuild, if even that. There is no salvaging this city, as I stated some days ago. It can not be done if everyone is sleeping on the streets and relying on daily rations to survive.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
www.dailymotion.com...

Wyclef Jean Requests An Exodus From Haiti. He wants 2,000,000 Haitians to leave Haiti for other countries.

We don't need them in Florida Wyclef find some where else!!!!

Oh gawd!!!!
Castro part II.
The Marilitos migration changed Florida forever.
And of course the island of Haiti will turn into the same conditions of poverty and overpopulation after the exodus again.
Geez... this is not cool. Maybe that's why France didn't want the US to go aid them so quickly so there would be less refugees to care for in the end.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Those who are freaking out and groaning over this, please do tell me what brilliant alternative plan you can come up with to rebuild this completely destroyed city?

They are not able to do it themselves, this much is obvious. There is NO WAY anything will get done when all available bodies are busy taking care of the Haitians THERE.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Nothing?

That's what i thought. Have a good day armchair politicians! Let me know if you can come up with a more PC scenario

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by cjcord

Venezuela has a island that Hugo Chávez has been trying to make a deal with China or Russia to put a military base on. Could be a possibility.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Sounds great- have they stepped up yet?

I hope no one here is thinking I am supporting they all go to the US. I am not, I just feel that the situation as it stands- they have to leave. There is no other option, so in that, Wyclef was correct.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

La Orchila is a military base off the coast of Venezuela, north of Caracas. It has numerous beaches, including one where the sand is markedly pink (Playa Rosada).

There is a presidential retreat on this island, and the residential complex reserved for the military houses consists mainly of elevated houses made of wooden logs. There is also a court for bolas criollas. All the facilities are connected by pathways, mostly unpaved but smooth and clean.

Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez was imprisoned on the island during the April 2002 coup.

On March 14, 2009, Russian Air Force Major General Anatolii Zhikharev, head of the Russian Air Force’s Long-Range Aviation, reported that Venezuela has offered Russia the use of the Antonio Diaz Naval Air Station on the island to base its strategic bombers.[1] Chavez however denied this, which Kremlin official Alexei Pavlov prompted to say that the military just spoke about 'technical possibilities'.[2]

The Dutch considered Orchilla to belong to their nearby island territory of Curaçao. The author M.D. Teenstra still writes in 1836 (in his book "The Dutch West Indies): "The government of Curaçao also includes the uninhabited islets and rocks Little Curaçao, Aves, Roques and Orchilla." He goes on to say that "Orchilla, although we consider it to belong to Curaçao, is of too little importance to justify any dispute with Spain which claims this island as well. The Republic of Venezuela also considers it theirs and their coastal guard often chases away the fishermen from Curaçao who go there to collect shell fish, fire wood, grass and hay, turtles, and birds' eggs or burn lime."

news.bbc.co.uk...

Venezuela's President, Hugo Chavez, says he has offered Moscow the use of an airfield off its Caribbean coast for Russian strategic long-range bombers.

But Mr Chavez denied there would be discussions on building any permanent base on the island of La Orchila.

The comments came a day after a senior Russian air force general said it was considering Venezuela's offer of a "whole island with an aerodrome".

Moscow has played down the general's remarks, saying they were hypothetical.

Russia has been strengthening its ties in recent months with several Latin American countries including Venezuela.

The two countries held joint naval exercises in Venezuelan waters in November.

The island even has a airport and a military base already on it. La Orchila is closer to Haiti then the US is.

So lets get Hugo Chávez to make peace not war and let the Haitians come there he would be in charge of the air space and wouldn't have to complain about the evil US controlling the Haiti airspace.

[edit on 20-1-2010 by JBA2848]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
www.straitstimes.com...

Jan 21, 2010
Haiti's main port reopening

PORT-AU-PRINCE - THE damaged main port in Haiti is reopening for service on Friday, a US general said, as a French vessel had already begun unloading aid supplies at Port-au-Prince on Wednesday.

'We will have the port open Friday for business,' said Lieutenant General Ken Keen, who is in charge of supervising the US military operations to help Haiti, left in ruins in a 7.0-magnitude quake on Jan 12.

'We've been doing assessments all week to ensure it is safe to offload cargo here,' he added, saying he hoped to have the port fully operational in three weeks.

But an AFP journalist saw that a French ship, the Francis Garnier, was already docked along the quay on Wednesday unloading relief aid and equipment. -- AFP

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by cjcord
Those who are freaking out and groaning over this, please do tell me what brilliant alternative plan you can come up with to rebuild this completely destroyed city?

They are not able to do it themselves, this much is obvious. There is NO WAY anything will get done when all available bodies are busy taking care of the Haitians THERE.

Spread them into different areas within the country, after all it's is their country, bring in some really big machinery and bulldoze the lot into the sea, rebuild as a sea port later.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
They've updated the Poster of the Haiti Earthquake, and as foresaid, they've labeled the 20 January's shock as principle aftershock:
according to USGS it was a mag. 5.9 shock, hence 1.1 less than the Main shock, same magnitude as the second shock, occured seven minutes after the main one: maybe the 6.1 data was measured using the Richter magnitude scale (Ml) rater than the moment magnitude one (Mw): see USGS Earthquake Magnitude Policy
This wider map shows how narrowed is the area that has been struck:

I've also made a graph showing all the shocks occurred since the first (main) one: it has to be read from right to left:

it makes the point showing the trend: compared to the principle aftershocks (5.9), the main shock was 12 times bigger on a seismogram, and 44 times stronger (energy release).
Also regarding the depht of 10 Km, on USGS websites it's pointed out that:

Depth

Distance below sea level in kilometers.
33 km is used as a default depth for earthquakes determined to be shallow, but whose depth is not satisfactorily determined by the data. Default depths of 5 or 10 km are usually used in mid-continental areas and on mid-ocean ridges since earthquakes in these areas are usually shallower than 33 km.

this should explain why there are so many 10 Km deep hypocentres.

[edit on 21/1/2010 by internos]

top topics

<< 53  54  55    57 >>

join